ReefCleaners.org

fifty50's Reef Octopus 32g

fifty50

Current FTS 2/16/13 w/ new Maxspect Razor LED Fixture:

IMG_0321.JPG
===================================

Equipment:

Reef Octopus T60 Luxury Aquarium
4x24w T5HO (F to B; Blue+, Coral+, Purple+, Blue+)
Maxspect Razor 120w 16000k LED Fixture

Vortech MP10es

Eheim 3000 Compact
EuroReef RS80 SWC 120 Skimmer

Apex Jr w/ EB8

Santa Monica Upflow Algae Scrubber

Filtration:

~25lb of BRS Eco Saver Rock in display

few lb's of LR rubble in the sump

~10lb(?) CaribSea Arag-Alive Special Grade Reef Sand

Chaeto

Notable Livestock:

Pair of Black Ice Clownfish

Midas Blenny

Trio of Blue/Green Chromis

Cleaner Shrimp

Blue Tuxedo Urchin

ORA Tri color Valida

ORA Plum Crazy

Tyree Pink Lemonade

ORA Red Planet

Birds of paradise

ORA PearlBerry

Garf Purple Bonsai

Aussie Yellow Acro

Jesus Stag

Aussie Pink Acro

Tyree Seasons Greetings Monti

Misc Zoa's

Hammer Coral

Original starter post:

tank diary for my new Reef Octopus 'luxury' 32g tank.

the tank:
http://coralvue.com/reef-octopus-luxury-aq...ums-and-stands/

I ordered the 32g display tank, stand, sump and overflow plumbing.

Although it's an upgrade, I'm starting with new dry rock and sand. Still haven't decided about the substrate yet. Either fake (epoxied sand) or real sand (live or dry?). And if real sand, if I'll put egg crate first to stabilize the rock structure. Either way, the dry rock/sand will be seeded from the rock/sand that's in my current tank.

Definitely going to take my time on this setup. Will have this tank for a while so I want to do it right the first time. No rush to set it up either since I already have the ADA 60P running.

Leave your comments below! Thanks for looking!

FTS History

FTS 5/13:
IMG_0083.JPG

FTS 5/27/12:
IMG_0126.JPG

FTS 6/24:
IMG_0221.JPG

FTS 8/16/12:
IMG_0026.JPG

FTS 10/23/12
IMG_0088.JPG
FTS 2/10/13:

IMG_0309.JPG
Current FTS 2/16/13 w/ new Maxspect Razor LED Fixture:

IMG_0321.JPG

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks!

ordered sand, CaribSea Arag-Alive Special Grade Reef Sand. still undecided about an epoxied fake sand bed or shallow sand bed and just replace every few months to keep clean.

also ordered 10ft of airline tubing so the RODI reaches the tank so i don't have to go crazy with buckets to fill the tank!

took out the old euroreef rs80 for a good scrubbing. boy was it dirty! pump and misc parts of the skimmer now soaking in vinegar. if this doesn't end up working out, i'll use my slim skim nano for a little while researching a replacement. maybe SWC?

anyway. has anyone had a tank freight shipped before? i have it being delivered to the UPS terminal and picking it up to avoid additional costs. logistically, everything should fit in my car since the DT is only 24x17x17. throw that in the backseat and the cabinet (unassembled) in the trunk. anyone think i should rent a uhaul van instead?

4/18 delivery to terminal. will probably wait to pick it up thurs or friday.

so you know what stinks. waiting just shy of 2mo because of tank release and availability, finally picking up the tank, only to see that the cabinet color is WRONG! ughhh. called and emailed the retailer to get this sorted all out. :rant:

so for now, pic of the boxes. nothing getting unboxed until retailer confirms everything doesn't have to go back...

IMG_0594.jpg

no cabinet box. that's still in the car. that mf'er is heavy! not taking it out since i'd guess i have to bring it to UPS to ship out for the exchange.

Good news! Sounds like the correct stand will be shipped today and I'll send the other back! Thanks to Mike at Reef Specialty for the help!

Will open the boxes and inspect everything tonight. Will take a few pics as well. Not much info or photos on the Internet for this setup.

Stay tuned.

about time... :P

;) will just be pics of a dry tank. hopefully the tank will be wet by next weekend if i get the stand next week. AND no other unforeseen issues come up. fingerscrossed

as promised!

sump. came with 3 filter socks. probe holder i have to take another look at. with the adjustable baffle all the way down, doesn't seem the probe holder is long enough when on the sump wall.

Dimensions: 18.75″x12″x16″

Image%202.jpg

another look at filter sock and holder:

Image%203.jpg

overflow plumbing:

Image%204.jpg

display tank (excuse the reflection!), tube overflow, mat (came with tank):

Image%201.jpg

tube overflow:

Image.jpg

display tank silicone bead. looks clean, although, not as clean as the beading on the ADA that I currently have :closed eyes:

Image%205.jpg

sump with old euroreef rs80 skimmer I'm going to use:

Image%208.jpg

thoughts...

for some reason I was thinking the 'tube overflow' was more of a half circle that went up against the glass; no biggie. all the parts for the overflow plumbing seems daunting, but I won't be attaching the pieces for the John Guest fittings as I do not have any reactors. also, the below diagram helps as well:

Pipe-size.jpg

return pipe has an elbow that has an airline pipe which is a nice touch to break a siphon in case of a power outage. one thing I do question is the overflow pipe is just a pipe with a red plastic bracket that goes across the opening and has a small piece of tubing that goes down into the pipe a few inches (I can take a pic of this but its in the above overflow plumbing photo. its the red piece with clear tube through it above the elbows). I'm guessing this is there way of making the overflow quiet? I sure hope it works!

otherwise the build quality is nice. two thumbs up. now just need the right cabinet!

enjoy! let me know what you think!

looks clean, good job!! they better not mess up on the stand again ahha

seriously. hope I get it next week so I can start the upgrade next week! sucks just having it sit around in my den. :angry:

bored so I'm messing around with aquascaping. not sure exactly what look I want to go with.

overflow on the left as well as the MP10, so I don't want to block flow from either.

first try:

IMG_0605.jpg

thoughts? suggestions?

new cabinet to be sent out. just waiting on tracking info.

Friday Delivery! Upgrade to start this weekend!

Tentative upgrade plan.

-Move old tank into den

-setup new tank

-leak test then drain

-add dry sand and rock

-rodi fill with salt, using water from old tank

-transfer some LR and LS from old tank to seed new tank

-Transfer inhabitants

-after a few weeks, remove LR from old tank

Thoughts? I don't want to have two tanks going at the same time and want to start with new dry rock.

Deleted User 4

Have any pictures of the old tank?? If you still have some good stuff in your old tank, maybe you should move it to the new tank, otherwise just sell the rest of the old tank and stuff. Yeah, I suggest you start with new dry rocks only for the new tank.

Archived