Innovative Marine Aquariums

fifty50's Reef Octopus 32g

fifty50

Deleted User 4

seriously though the rimless octo tank is aligned very nicely, they definitely done a great job on the black silicone there

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Deleted User 4

ok, I am assuming that the ada60 tank thread is your old tank? my thoughts are you should keep some of those frags and fish and move it to your new tank and in order to do so, you need to let your new tank cycle a bit, sooo just keep your old tank for now. Then after when you're done moving your frags/fish to your new tank with your new dry rocks, you should sell your old tank including your old live rocks/colonies of corals. I suggest that you keep only frags in your new tank and grow those out but that is just my taste and opinion. Also, what are your lighting plans? I think ecotech radions will be perfect for your tank but they costs quite a bit but I think it's worth it esp if your tank/stand is high quality as well.

slick tank bro!

Thanks!

ok, I am assuming that the ada60 tank thread is your old tank?

yea, the ADA is the current tank. all inhabitants (fish and coral) will move to the reef octopus tank. I'm also going to move some LR to the new tank temporarily to help with the cycle. I hope it's not a big/long cycle. once cycle is complete then I'll remove it and just have the new rock in there.

Also, what are your lighting plans? I think ecotech radions will be perfect for your tank but they costs quite a bit but I think it's worth it esp if your tank/stand is high quality as well.

lighting plans are to keep the 4x24w T5HO I currently have. I'm stuck using lighting options that sit on the stand since I have high ceilings in my condo so a hanging kit would just be ridiculous. wife also isn't a fan of L brackets on the wall. maybe a light tree attached to the tank? eh.

thanks!

taking my time. leak test went well. current tank moved to a temporary spot and new tank just moved into its final resting place. sand and aquascape next. but distracted by NY Rangers and Knicks game. although, not so much with the Knicks game... :tears:

Congrats on the tank. Sorry about the Knicks game. Where is the pictures of your development transfer?

Thanks. Knicks got owned! Rangers won though! Currently still making RODI and missing salt. Once I feel I have enough water, I'll drain the water in the other tank and add to the new tank. At this time I'll transfer the inhabitants. Probably won't happen until tomorrow so the new salt water has time to mix well.

Also, I'll be going back to manual top offs. No room in the stand right now for a reservoir and I don't want to put one outside. Will look into adding a shelf in the stand though. Also need to get some screws to mount the apex jr, eb8 and other equipment.

Slowly progressing!

aquascaped:

Image%202.jpg

wet!

IMG_0071.JPG

IMG_0072.JPG

starting to transfer inhabitants. some LR with frags in the display. other LR in the sump for now. hoping it should help seed the dry rock. black ice clown fish been in the tank for a bit over an hour now and doing well.

zoa's on LR I'll transfer to frag plugs then just eventually glue it to rock in the tank tank.

comments welcome!

hahaha nice setup, it's finally wet

seriously...about 9wk's since I made the original order!

all tank inhabitants are in. clownfish still doing well. some SPS extending polyps already as well. display is fugly now with the extra LR from the ADA in there to help seed the new dry rock for this tank.

next step is to work on the sump. setup the baffle for return section. since i'll have space in this section since the eheim is small, i'm thinking of using egg crate to act as a divider to add LR rubble. then i'll slowly work on all the wiring/cable management in the stand.

you guys seeing anything wrong with screwing the drywall screws that come with the apex and eb8 right into the stand to mount them? cabinet is MDF. will use double sided velcro for the lighter stuff (vortech controller).

ok, found a leak. tried to go without glueing the return pipe to the bulkhead but looks like i'm going to have to. pressure is causing a slow leak.

any thoughts around gluing the pipe to the bulkhead?

so did you fix the leak yet? :o

yep. nothing a little pvc cement can't fix! all good to go! will setup and start running the skimmer later this afternoon.

i need a cleanup crew now. I just pulled a few nerite snails from the old tank. didn't pull any dwarf ceriths and I didn't see any crabs that were alive. damn. don't really need sand sifters since I have a shallow sandbed and egg crate. will just siphon out and replace.

equipment and cable management to take place tonight! will finally allow me to put the other cabinet door on the stand, lol.

controllers mounted. cables managed; although not perfect, it's much cleaner than what it could be. tough to fit so many cables in tight spaces!

cabinet area:

Image.jpg

full setup image. first time both doors are on the cabinet now that all the cables are in the cabinet.

Image%201.jpg

enjoy!

Archived