Innovative Marine Aquariums

brown spots on clam

mattie

I have recently obtianed 2 new maxima clams both have some brown spots on them and i am wondering do they go away or was it sign of poor health and i should have over looked them

attachment.php?s=&postid=252573

attachment.php?s=&postid=228438

they both came from tanks with MH lights and they both look great in my tank healthy and happy but i am curious about this since i have noticed many clams without this and my squasmo does not have any brown spots.......... idea's and link's welcome

inthe first pic it looks like the clam may have central bleaching, and in the second pic it looks like the clam may have some local bleaching going on if you dont have it already get Daniel Knops book on giant clams it has some great info on both these conditions and may help to determine if that is actually the case

central vs. local?????

the top clam came from a 120g with 2 175 mh lights and the clam sat on the bottom

the bottom clam came from a shallow prop tank and sat under a 400w MH light about 12 inchs from it

central bleaching is from too much light hitting the center of the mantle (Knop pers. comm.) local can be cause by not enough light i think. try posting pics in the clamsdirect.com emergency forum.

If they are New to the tank, just give them some time to adjust. I wouldl check to see if there are any Pyramid Snails on them. They are a major problem to new clams and if you don't have anything in your tank to control they, they can and will destroy your clams.

I had to take my clams out and clean them for two weeks straight to get rid of the snails. Look for them, they are VERY small and deadly.

Good luck!

well thanks pyrrhus i learned alot from clams direct the brown spots are normal in most cases and surprisingly my bright blue maxima is having a little bleaching as it adjust's to my higher lighting? and i learned it should look fine in a few weeks if not better than ever :)

i checked no snail's on them or my other clam a green squami

YEAAA!!!!!

Archived