Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Vicki's 20G

phoenix91

I'm a total cheater and proud of it :D I wouldn't have cheated if my tank hadn't cracked. Thanks!

Yup, he's a keeper.

Scones and jam (no cream for me), mmm.

I can do jam. Maybe some orange marmalade.

Do you ride English or Western?

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ride English. We do trail mostly, he's a semi decent trail horse when he keeps his cool. I've just started dressage lessons with him and he's doing great.

I ride English. We do trail mostly, he's a semi decent trail horse when he keeps his cool. I've just started dressage lessons with him and he's doing great.

Maybe he likes the constant communication that dressage requires. What is his stop command? When I used to ride, one of the horse I had was a low pitch "whoa" and the other was a loud kissy sound. Very funny doing that in public. :lol:

He's very smart and likes to learn and get things right. He has a few stops, when i'm riding his stop is my seat, i breath out and he stops (makes riding with a cough very hard because he thinks he has to stop all the time). On the lunge his stop is either a noise that goes from high to low or i use his emergency stop which is a high pitched noise sort of like a whistle.

I use the kissy noise to speed him up when he's being lazy.

He sounds like a smart horse to recognize all those nuances. Very cool. One of the ones I used to ride would be utterly lazy, refused to canter, and would only do so when he wanted to make a beeline for the weeds growing on the sides of the fence. :lol:

Oh yes, those delicious weeds. I have those issues on trail, i had to start wearing spurs so when he went for the snack bar i could get his attention. Unfortunately his has hip issues and doesn't canter well, it's a bit like sitting on a washing machine trying to escape down the street; and his go to move when things get out of his comfort zone looks something like this

DSCF0012-Copy_zps65f6ee0b.jpg

I can't count the amount of times i have been unceremoniously bucked up the trail because that flower looked suspicious or a bunny jumped out with a machine gun; and forget anyone else cantering when he's around, that's one hissy fit i'm not willing to deal with :)

:D He's a goober but i wouldn't be without him. Plus i cling like a tiny monkey, he very rarely throws me off.

I've been 2 part dosing in my tank for about 2 weeks; levels seem to be staying within my set numbers so i'm happy about that. The pink birdsnest i thought i'd killed with the ALK swing looks like it's recovered slightly but isn't really doing much, at least it's not getting worse. I'm going to move it up onto the rocks when i get the change, along with moving the frogspawn back onto the rocks too.

My lovely pink zoas on the other hand look like death. I took the plug off the rocks and dipped them to make sure there wasn't anything irritating them and got nothing, i'm pretty sure they're on their way out :( They were doing so well and then just went downhill. Green palys are blooming unfortunately, and the long stem orange zoas are doing great too.

I'm still not very familiar with sps but the mille i got is either changing colour or getting new growth, it's a pinky/purple colour and has started to get little areas of bright green around the bottom (on the plug) and at the tips. Fingers crossed this is new growth. If this is growing i can sacrifice the zoas i suppose, if only the green plays would die... i wouldn't be sad about that.

Pics of the mille, taken on 2 different cameras. The pics are really blue as a result of my LED lights, sorry about that.

With the point and shoot, if nothing else it's a great shot of Bingleys head.

DSCF3342_zpscb454e77.jpg

And with the iphone:

photo284_zps21e45b45.jpg

The green is new, i only started to see it over the past week or so. I have just moved it up from the sand bed onto the rocks, it's getting good flow and good light. I know the frag plug is unsightly but i didn't want to risk damaging it by removing it. Maybe once i'm more familiar with them i can take them off plugs, or maybe it'll grow over the plug.

After i took some photos i glued a few corals to the rocks, siphoned some flatworms and went on a majano killing spree :) Hopefully i got the majanos good, i got them while they were open and let them close around the syringe with the chemicals in, once they were closed i injected them. They're mostly bulging and closed right now so hopefully the chemical i got into them is doing its job.

Edited for more pics

FTS showing new froggie placement

fts121912_zps666bff4b.jpg

Top down shot of a portion of the tank

opentopshot_zpsca2acc5e.jpg

Pink zoas are pretty well melted this morning and pink finger leather looks like it's about to shed.

I honestly think that all this attention i've been paying the tank might be a bad thing; when i was just sort of maintaining it everything was growing and looking great and then i got 'involved' and everything has gone all to hell. Back to lazy reefing for me.

Thanks. My tank inhabitants all have pride & prejudice names.

Oh good, i'll take green as good! It looks good and like it might be thinking about growing.

So i've been dosing 2 part for 2 weeks, did a wc yesterday and haven't really had to dose cal for about 4 days, it's stayed high. Something in my tank however is sucking down the alk. hmmm...

I got off work early so got to spend some time watching my tank while making dinner :)

Lizzy and the froggie i looking happy in it's new place.

photo290_zpse48d9af7.jpg

Darcy & the devils hand

photo288_zps69b8af1f.jpg

photo289_zps090e048d.jpg

I discovered a little yellow ball sponge, it looks pretty healthy.

photo291_zps880dfc25.jpg

Thanks. Sometimes my phone takes great photos, sometimes not so much.

I've got 3 yellow ball sponges, all about the same size and all looking great. I guess they came in as HH but have taken off recently.

Thanks. I hope it grows as big as your is, what do you do to keep yours healthy? Anything specific or just let it be?

Do you feed phyto? That would be an excellent food for the sponge. They filter things out of the water so any filter feeder food should work.

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year everyone!

I'm kicking the new year off with a bang... flatworm killing spree :D

Also, how big do bristle worms get? I had the lights off for some reason the other day and like 8 or 9 quite huge (3+inches) all came out of the rocks. I know they're supposed to be good but really they're getting quite big now.

So while waiting for game of thrones to download i killed flatworms, got rid (or at least removed) GHA from 1 wall and the outflow tubes, cleaned the powerheads and did a wc. TV show is still not downloaded, this computer is slow.

Happy New Year!!!!

I have some really fat bristle worms in my tank. I'm not sure how big they can get though. Good luck with the flatworms!!!!

Thanks!

Mine are more long and skinny.. ew.

Flatworms were siphoned, so they never really go away, it just makes me feel better watching them float around a bucket.

I've thought of a new years resolution. To get some long gloves to use in the tank and actually use them. It might stop my arm breaking out in a horrible rash every time i touch the water.

photo299_zpsde417fa0.jpg

photo297_zps76e715ec.jpg

photo293_zpsfe49cd7d.jpg

photo298_zpsac9cb401.jpg

Pink birdsnests: the one in the back is recovering from an alk swing, but after the wc a few little white dots appeared on it, not really sure what to make of that. The one in the front is from a local guy and it looks like it's doing okay and growing some new stalks :)

photo296_zps8e725a6b.jpg

Archived