inTank Media Baskets

Vicki's 20G

phoenix91

Today I started to prepare the tank for the move to the 40g, it'll be a while yet but I wanted to get started by tackling some of the Majano problem the 20g has. 2 of the rocks were basically covered in them and didn't have a whole lot of coral on so I took them both out, I managed to save my original piece of pokarstar Monti but had to leave the new growth attached to the rock for now. I also had to remove the pink finger leather from its rock and remove the small rock it was on.

I've got the rocks in a bucket for now, I'll put more water in with them when I do the wc once the new water is heated up. I'll also put a power head in the bucket, I might be able to salvage the rocks or at least rescue the rest of the Monti.

This is also a great source of brittle starfish so I'm going to readvertise on the local site to give them away.

The devils hand has grown so big it's now pressing against the glass, I can't wait to move it so it can keep growing.

I mostly have photos after everything was upset but will get better ones tomorrow after the drama is over.

image_zpsa1d30b43.jpg

Lots of my corals are now sitting on the sand awaiting the move.

image_zpsc3f78442.jpg

There's still some majanos to take care of and I plan on using kalk paste once I go buy it.

image_zps5e056b0a.jpg

image_zps4d0c6e29.jpg

The rescued piece of Monti and some staghorn.

image_zps40a75996.jpg

I going to try really hard to relocate mushroom cave but its going to stay in the 20g until I can nuke the tank for flatworms. If anything survives the treatment it will be dipped and moved. I'm not having flatworms in the new tank, if that means saying goodbye to mushrooms I can live with that.

image_zps1a41af0c.jpg

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, yup the growth has gone slightly crazy so I'm looking forward to this upgrade. I've fragged the Monti already and will probably have to break it to get it off the rock but then I'll have more pieces for the new tank :)

A local store is running a competition with 3 local clubs. Each club has 10 participants, each participant gets a frag of zoa. Everyone hs to monitor growth over the year and the person with the most growth wins. Tank specs and everything else have been taken too. Well today I got my zoa polyp, it doesn't look fantastic yet but I'm hoping once it's settled it'll look good. I don't even know whatit really looks like yet.

http://s156.photobucket.com/user/vickiwilson91/media/image_zps018389ed.jpg.html]image_zps018389ed.jpg[/url]

It should be Interesting because my tank is very hit and miss with zoas, some take off and grow like crazy other melt away. These ones grow like crazy

http://s156.photobucket.com/user/vickiwilson91/media/image_zpsb181027b.jpg.html]image_zpsb181027b.jpg[/url]

I hate the winter, the polar vortex has totally screwed me. My house heating is crapping out ( system was new in 2011 and has had issues every winter since it was put in). It's 60 degrees in my house, the salt tank is looking okay it's heater is faulty and stays switched on which is lucky to be honest. My puffer tank didn't fair so well, I think she's dead but can't find her. The tank is at 70, the heaters on and switched high but I think it just couldn't cope.

Sorry to hear about the puffer tank :(. I hope it warms up soon! How long are those temperatures supposed to last?

If you don't already have it, get some phytofeast and oyster feast from Reef Nutrition. It will make your zoas grow :).

Thanks. I found the puffer, she's barely alive. Sitting on the bottom and her tank won't heat up. I've got 2 heaters in there turned right up and I've added hot water and for some reason it won't heat it. I'm waiting on The heating tech to come fix my system so I hope once the room heats up the tank will heat up. I have no idea what else to do, I think the puffer is done for and probably won't recover from this. It's sad, I've had her 3 years. Edit: she's eating so that's a good sign, resting a lot but eating.

I'll get some food from reef nutrition. So far the new zoa is open and hasn't melted so I'm hopeful. The tank is still warm with the faulty heater on a timer so it won't stay switched on. My house is one disaster after another today. Edit: room is up to normal temp, tank is up to normal temp.

On a more positive note the new zoa sure is pretty, this photo also showcases some lovely flatworms.

image_zps06b0a596.jpg

The Mille isn't doing too badly on the sand bed, I think it actually enjoys the flow its getting down there. The colour looks crappy but it'll look better one its back under normal lights.

image_zps0bf7098e.jpg

And Bingley is cute

image_zps7e5497a7.jpg

Sorry :(. That face!!! omg...almost looks human.

The zoa for the contest is outstanding!!!! I've never seen another like it. What a great zoa for the contest. Maybe you can sell me a frag one day ;).

Sorry :(. That face!!! omg...almost looks human.The zoa for the contest is outstanding!!!! I've never seen another like it. What a great zoa for the contest. Maybe you can sell me a frag one day ;).

She was like a 1 inch puppy, so cute and funny.

Yup, if it takes of and grows like my other zoas I'll send you a frag. According to the shop owner it is a no name deep water Japanese zoa, I don't really know a lot of about this kind of thing but I'm assuming it won't like high light so I've got it in a bit of a shadow. I'm hoping once its in the 40 I can find a nice partly shaded place for it to grow.

Sorry Vicki :(

Thanks. She'll be missed.

• 3 weeks later...

My hammer has been having issues recently. It's been splitting and was I fested with brittle stars and even had a few majanos growing on it. It was looking pretty sad and deflated and has lost a lot of its lovely colour. Last weekend I pulled it off the top rock and got rid of the brittle stars and Majanos and put it in the sand bed to recover. Unfortunately it hasn't really recovered; I fact it looked worse. This morning I noticed its loosing flesh just under it heads and the ends of the tentacles were all white and odd looking.

I made a snap decision and pulled it from the tank. I have a 3 g acrylic tank just sitting around so I've set it up as a hammer hospital tank, it's got a HOB filter with floss and carbon/gfo. I also put in a pump for added/mixed flow. It looks a little better than it did this morning. I do have a light but its really only a pc light which I don't think will hurt the hammer,maybe it'll help it recover with less light.

This is how it looked when it looked good

http://s156.photobucket.com/user/vickiwilson91/media/image_zps2546f796.jpg.html]image_zps2546f796.jpg[/url]

And this is after about 30 minutes in the 3 gallon

http://s156.photobucket.com/user/vickiwilson91/media/image_zps79d4ceef.jpg.html]image_zps79d4ceef.jpg[/url]

It is actually more open than it was under the LEDs in the tank. Maybe it was getting too much light and a combo of the light and pests just irritated it too much. I hope it recovers and I don't lose it, I have a nice spot for it in the 40 so I hope it can last until the new tank is ready. Who knows if it does well in the 3 g I might just leave it there, maybe move the frogspawn over too and have an lps pico.

Hammer looks a bit better today, more open definitely. Less colour but I think that's the crappy lights. It seems to be either feeling better or trying to get better, half the heads appear to be pooping. I'll take it as they're either getting rid of the crap that's making it feel bad or its dying. Hard to tell really. It doesn't look like brown jelly so there's that.

Thanks! It looks so much better than it did in the 20g, I have a feeling maybe some chemical warfare was going on so now it's alone it does seem to be getting better.

Vicki, I read your thread and I hope your hammer makes it. Very sorry about your puffer. I will enjoy watching how the 40g progresses.

Vicki, I read your thread and I hope your hammer makes it. Very sorry about your puffer. I will enjoy watching how the 40g progresses.

Thank you! The 20 has been through a journey in almost 2 years, I'll be sad to see it go but excited for the 40 which should be moving to my house this weekend.

The hammer looks much better, very inflated today. If its still looking good In a few days I'll be dipping it and removing anything suspicious I see on it and it'll stay in the 3G until the 40 is ready. I might even dip and move over the frogspawn since the flow seems just right for lps.

• 3 weeks later...

Competition zoa is looking great, it's got a new polyp growing. A lot of the other frags given out have melted so I think mines doing okay.

http://s156.photobucket.com/user/vickiwilson91/media/image_zps7ee93928.jpg.html]image_zps7ee93928.jpg[/url]

http://s156.photobucket.com/user/vickiwilson91/media/image_zps211fe124.jpg.html]image_zps211fe124.jpg[/url]

The return pump looked like it wasn't working so well yesterday so I struggled to unhook it and pull it out for cleaning, it was chock full of starfish. They're out of control! I can't wait until the 40b is all I'm looking after, I won't miss having to squeeze my hand into the back chamber to unhook the pump, it's just lucky my hands are really tiny.

Hammer update: it looks great, getting colour back everyday.

image_zpsd0a8120b.jpg

image_zpse8c80df1.jpg

That competition zoa is TDF! LOL...I see a starfish under that plug :).

Hammer looks great!

If and when it grows and reproduces I will frag it for you. It's lovely, apparently a deep sea variety, although I think I might have gotten something else since one of the guys from my local club said his doesn't look like mine. A starfish? Try maybe 5... Under each and every rock and plug and then a million more in the other rocks.

Thanks!

If and when it grows and reproduces I will frag it for you. It's lovely, apparently a deep sea variety, although I think I might have gotten something else since one of the guys from my local club said his doesn't look like mine. A starfish? Try maybe 5... Under each and every rock and plug and then a million more in the other rocks. Thanks!

That would be awesome!

Makes sense if it's a deep sea variety and others' are melting. They are probably giving it too much light. You found it's happy spot :D.

LOL...I see another brittle arm popping out of the monticap. We all have our nemeses. Mine is bubble algae. I'd rather have a starfish problem :).

Just caught up on your thread. I'm sorry about your little puffer fish. How are the heating issues on the house? Also how come 2 heaters are still not heating up the tank, are they undersized for your tank ? Or could it be that the temperature gauge you use is faulty?

That would be awesome!

Makes sense if it's a deep sea variety and others' are melting. They are probably giving it too much light. You found it's happy spot :D.

LOL...I see another brittle arm popping out of the monticap. We all have our nemeses. Mine is bubble algae. I'd rather have a starfish problem :).

I have it shaded by the monticap, seems to like it there. In the main monticap they hide between the folds, tones of them. At least they're not really harmful. I have bubble algae too, my tank is pest ridden.

Just caught up on your thread. I'm sorry about your little puffer fish. How are the heating issues on the house? Also how come 2 heaters are still not heating up the tank, are they undersized for your tank ? Or could it be that the temperature gauge you use is faulty?

Thanks. The house heating is working fine now, the polar vortex just proved too much for it, even the tech that came out said it was basically a crap system and he sold me the thing. The heaters are rated to the tank but I found out was was broken, which is probably what led to the tank temp being so low, the light was on but it wasn't heating, once I put another heater in the tank it heated up pretty quick. There's a betta fish in that tank now and he's doing great.

I have it shaded by the monticap, seems to like it there. In the main monticap they hide between the folds, tones of them. At least they're not really harmful. I have bubble algae too, my tank is pest ridden.

Ugh...bubble algae. That's all I have to say about that :D.

Archived