Innovative Marine Aquariums

Vicki's 20G

phoenix91

Yikes, i'll put up a photo in the ID section and see if they're bad.

My palys eat pellets and i think my hammer does too. It is fun to watch, but the problem is the growth explodes and i've ended up with way more green palys than i want. Oh well, at least they're pretty.

I thought the majanos weren't so bad but it looks like they're damaging the gsp around them so i'm trying to come up with a way to kill them once and for all, they're persistent little gits!

I keep thinking that i should upgrade and just dip my corals/rocks to handle the flatworms and start over. Maybe i'll get a nice christmas bonus this year and can do that!

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Deleted User 3

Good idea.

Ha ha yeah, i've noticed that too. I've only had this paly colony for say... a month maybe.. and i have 4 new, growing bigger every day i swear babies on it.. lol. Oh well, then i'll just get some gloves and frag away, $$ for meeee. :P Use those electric things that shock them, it might take a couple tries but maybe it'll work! It's worked for some people.

I wanna upgrade too.. but i'm broke, ha ha. Hard to be a reefer when your broke, plus if I upgrade.. I can't tell my landlord, AND i'd have to get a rodi unit... and prob a sump, and a new tank stand... and I don't wanna nor do I have the $$ for that, lol! I don't do water changes as it is, just top offs lately, nothing is PO'd so i'm okay fingerscrossed:P

PS I want a Christmas bonus :( lol

I've had my 2 colonies for almost a year and they've almost taken over the side of the biggest rock in my tank. I've considered fragging and probably will have to soon but it means i have to take the big rock out of my tank and i really don't want to do that. A local guy suggested i put in rubble and let them grow onto it to make fragging easier so i might try this.

I've been looking at 40g breeders. I think i'm going to take a look in the pet stores in the blackfriday sales and see if there's anything worth my while. Luckily i got an ro/di unit last year with my end of year bonus and just got new filters for it. I'd need a new stand too, which i guess i could build. If i don't upgrade tanks i'm thinking of making the lighting better on this tank, getting another LED bulb and new fixtures (if i can find sale ones) and i really REALLY want to get an MP10, so if i do get a bonus that might be what it goes on :)

If i don't find a suitable upgrade in the upcoming blackfriday sales then i am going to do a bit of work on the 20g to make it better.

Reef to do list:

Add more lighting, new bulb Done!

Get new light fixtures and hang them above the tank

Upgrade the return pump

Get an MP10

Find a torch coral frag

My new light arrived and i have fixtures on order so i can hang the two lights over the tank :)

The rock my froggie is on is listing alarmingly to one side so i'll be attacking it with super glue tonight to hopefully hold it in place.

I was siphoning out flatworms over the weekend and managed to knock a paly colony loose, so now i either have a standalone paly colony or a colony for sale.

palycolony.jpg

Managed to sell 2 frags over the weekend so went out and bought a frag of millepora (at least thats what i think it is) it looks happy enough, i'll get it attached to the rocks soon enough.

mille.jpg

To try and combat the flatworm evil i've been feeding the tank and fish less and making sure the fish are eating every pellet. Unfortunately this makes for some hungry corals so i'll have to up my spot feeding.

hungryacan.jpg

I signed up for the christmas gift exchange this year since last year looked like fun. :happydance: I guess this is my wish list post. I'm going to put a few items, whoever ends up with me feel free to pick something or not pick anything at all. I don't mind either way. Also, i LOVE surprises :)

- Long spot feeder

- Some kind of reef nutrition food for corals/fish

- Handheld TDS meter

- Chemipure elite/purigen

- Fragging supplies

- I am also partial to christmas ornaments

I've also bought a few things for my person and will look at their list once i get a name!

Next weekend is my tanks birthday, i know this thread was started earlier this year (march or something) but my tanks rock/stock/and other important things were started in the Biocube that cracked on Dec 2nd 2011. So in honour of this occasion i have arranged for 2 new frags from a local reefer, a pink finger leather and a pink something else he said he would throw in... he just said it was pink and i would like it.

No doubt i'll post next weekend about how amazing the last year has been with my tank and update lots of photos, might even borrow the guy at works dslr to take some nice shots.

Thanks! I think I had just fed the tank with baby mysis, although they are hungry a lot; I should probably spot feed them more. They're growing like weeds.

Yeah I ask because I had some that were really similar in coloration and they were always open looking for food like that. They were really nice acans though and grew like crazy while I had them.

New frags tomorrow!

My poor pink birdsnest seesm to have some kind of necrosis, testing of the water showed low calcium and low alk, so i'm ordering 2 part dosing from brs and changing out all my filter media tomorrow. Phosphate test kit is getting ordered too.

The guy i'm picking up the frags from has also said he will help me frag my existing birdsnest to save some if we can. I'm annoyed that something happened (most likely an alk swing) and affected this coral as it was showing signs of growth finally after being in the tank for months.

I also got my new light fixtures and something to hang them with so hopefully when my dad drops around tomorrow i can force him to help me hang them.

Thanks! Now sweeter with twice the light :) Finally got my other bulb up and both are now hung nicely above the tank; i changed my timer so the coral will have a chance to acclimate and also put some eggcrate over the tank, it's strong light.

Got 3 new corals today and had my birdsnest fragged to try and save what remains of it. A local guy helped me out and did the fragging, he also sold me a pink finger leather and another pink birdsnest frag, he then gave me a green pocillapora frag. He then advise me on how to help my tank stabilize, sent me away with a tub of buffer and told me how to use it and also told me to add calcium supplement until i get my 2 part dosing set up. I added the supplements earlier and am about to test the water now.

DSCF3305.jpg

Happy 1 year anniversary to my tank inhabitants

Yes this tank was set up in march-ish of this year but that was out of necessity. The biocube and everything in this tank (including in the beginning the water) was set up in December last year.

I started to dose brs 2 part, so far so good. The birdsnest that went white with the alk swing last week is actually looking better, the 2 pieces that weren't affected have gotten darker and the piece that was mostly white even looks likes it might recover.

Got a little hair algae going on but no phosphates so i'm not really sure what's going on. I might have to get another turbo snail :/

And since it's December and sort of almost Christmas i thought i'd post my horse holiday photo. I do one every year (except last year when he was so sick he looked like an abuse case); he's not as dressed up as he usually is because he wasn't having any of the bells and whistles this year.

phoenix2012.jpg

He was wearing the antlers but i ended up in them.

Thank you!! I was just over on your thread, how come there's so many hot people all in one place?

You're welcome! We're all just having a little fun :) You should post your photo there too ;)

Lots of cleaning and rearranging today. I had to move a few things to make room for new corals and unfortunately the frogspawn had to be moved. That rock is great to get lots of flow for the new sps so the frogspawn was relegated to the sand for now until i get more glue/epoxy. He'll be going on the big rock at the back just under the hammer.

Moved my pink zoas off their rock and onto the sand because the green plays are starting to take over. I was a bit late in moving them though some palys are now mixed in with the zoas so i guess i'll be having another attempt at fragging.

Acans are now in the sand and might be staying there if they like it.

New mille, green pocillopora and pink birdsnest have been epoxied to the rock, not glued yet though as i ran out. I'll see how they like their new spot and might move them again.

photo278.jpg

DSCF3344.jpg

I put the new pink finger leather near the bottom of the tank, it seemed to be doing great in it's previous tank and it was just sitting on the sand. It's a bit mad because i touched it.

photo277.jpg

Very annoyed frogspawn, it really didn't appreciate me ripping it off its rock.

DSCF3343.jpg

If this devils hand keeps growing the way it is i'll need a tank upgrade just so it has more room to grow.

DSCF3336.jpg

Yes this tank was set up in march-ish of this year but that was out of necessity. The biocube and everything in this tank (including in the beginning the water) was set up in December last year.

:flower: Happy Tank-i-versary!!

Everything looks great and I love the devil's hand!

:flower: Happy Tank-i-versary!!

Everything looks great and I love the devil's hand!

Thanks.

I love the green pocillopora!!!! I hope the froggie is happy again :) I know they can take days to readjust to being moved.

I do too, i happened to mention to a local guy that it was nice and he cut a bit off his colony for me. It's been open and happy since i put it in the tank.

Froggie is still in the sand, happier but not thrilled. It'll be less happy when i glue it back on the rocks at the weekend.

Cheater! :lol: Good thing I have two cups and saucers with the cake plate. Here's a Happy birthday to your tank. :flower:

Beautiful horse! Wow.

Or maybe you want to have scones with clotted cream instead of cake?

Cheater! :lol: Good thing I have two cups and saucers with the cake plate. Here's a Happy birthday to your tank. :flower:

Beautiful horse! Wow.

Or maybe you want to have scones with clotted cream instead of cake?

I'm a total cheater and proud of it :D I wouldn't have cheated if my tank hadn't cracked. Thanks!

Yup, he's a keeper.

Scones and jam (no cream for me), mmm.

Archived