Top Shelf Aquatics

MiniMalistic Pico by NanoTopia

NanoTopia

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Albert, and Merry Christmas !

It has been a slow grower in my pico tank, but it keeps on keepin' on, Merry Christmas to you :)

All the same to you ....

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Nice, fun little Pico tank!

Was wondering how the little shrimps are getting along. I was considering a few, but they are really small. I don't quite trust my Barnacle Blenny not to grab one that happened to pass by (nom, nom...).

• Like 1

The Anclyomenes venustus died a while back, his clear body went all cloudy and he died two days later, also can't find the bumble bee shrimp. I have two bristle worms in the pico that are getting huge, they may have played a roll in the the bumble bee's disappearance. I still have two sexy shrimp and another commensal shrimp that are proving hardy. These ornamental shrimps are kind of delicate, they seem best suited to a fish-less pico tank. They are fun to watch. Not sure if I would put them in with fish. Check out the Sexy Shrimp thread here on NR for some more information.

Sorry to hear that some of them didn't make it. I may try a Pederson's shrimp (Sexy shrimp have a rep for sampling Zoa skirts and such).

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Leander plumosus spp.

8459199760_2b6b30b86f_c.jpg

8459198804_c6ea90a38d_c.jpg

This is such an odd shrimp and there is so little information on it that I can find that I am wondering why the large front is needed, and which makes it look like a bird. Would make for a great research project !

Great pic ...

Leander plumosus spp.

Here is a video on the Donald Duck Shrimp as the video author refers to it

http://www.liquidguru.com/donald-duck-shrimp-leander-plumosus/

• Like 1

Thanks Albert, I have had him in the pico now for about 4 months, he seems to be mostly nocturnal making it difficult to get a shot of him when the lights are on full. I got this one just after feeding pellets, he soon disappeared under the rocky overhangs where he spends most of his time. You are right, you don't see much of this commensal shrimp in aquaria but they are out there. Not as interesting to watch as the sexy shrimp but in many ways just as interesting.

PS: If you look closely in the first picture, you will see him couching a pellet, look under the eye area and just to the left. :)

Christine

• Like 2
Leander plumosus spp.

8459199760_2b6b30b86f_c.jpg

8459198804_c6ea90a38d_c.jpg

Beautiful shrimp. Tozeuma shrimp is anther for the little guy, which might help you to find info. Also I luv the pics.

• Like 2

Thanks Albert, I have had him in the pico now for about 4 months, he seems to be mostly nocturnal making it difficult to get a shot of him when the lights are on full. I got this one just after feeding pellets, he soon disappeared under the rocky overhangs where he spends most of his time. You are right, you don't see much of this commensal shrimp in aquaria but they are out there. Not as interesting to watch as the sexy shrimp but in many ways just as interesting.

PS: If you look closely in the first picture, you will see him couching a pellet, look under the eye area and just to the left. :)

Christine

Yes right you are ... I found a video of one and posted it on my thread and noted that you posted a picture of it here.

Great looking shrimp. Did it come in as a HH?

Yes right you are ... I found a video of one and posted it on my thread and noted that you posted a picture of it here.

Great looking shrimp. Did it come in as a HH?

No, I paid good money for it...around $10. A bargain IMO.

First Chalice shot is amazing.

Thanks, I dare not show you a picture of it after I got it, it was one step away from dying, in fact I can't believe it recovered.

Beautiful shrimp. Tozeuma shrimp is anther for the little guy, which might help you to find info. Also I luv the pics.

Thanks neuwave :)

• Like 1

No, I paid good money for it...around $10. A bargain IMO.

Thanks, I dare not show you a picture of it after I got it, it was one step away from dying, in fact I can't believe it recovered.

Thanks neuwave :)

Wow that is for sure a super price for that shrimp ... Good for you ...

This chalice was not doing too well (understatement) in my 20 gallon so I moved it to my pico, 10 months later it looks healthy and is growing again. Goes to say, never give up on a coral, they sometimes come back from the dead.

April 2012

8459734854_506049ced2.jpg

Feb 2013

8452688956_115793ce31.jpg
  • Like 1

This chalice was not doing too well (understatement) in my 20 gallon so I moved it to my pico, 10 months later it looks healthy and is growing again. Goes to say, never give up on a coral, they sometimes come back from the dead.
April 2012
Feb 2013
8452688956_115793ce31.jpg

That indeed "some" comeback ... what would, in your opinion, explain that it did better and is doing better in the Pico than in the 20 gallon tank?

Are you running different nutrient levels and perhaps different lighting? Any other differences that would explain it if I may ask ? Thanks.

That indeed "some" comeback ... what would, in your opinion, explain that it did better and is doing better in the Pico than in the 20 gallon tank?

Are you running different nutrient levels and perhaps different lighting? Any other differences that would explain it if I may ask ? Thanks.

Yes different nutrient levels, less skimming, more particle food, less lighting but same spectrum basically.

• Like 1

Yes different nutrient levels, less skimming, more particle food, less lighting but same spectrum basically.

Thanks, and yes that would explain it IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

/subscribed

I didn't even see this one?! Looks amazing BTW, more pics please B)

Thank you, more pics.................... Soooon :haha:

She is slow on posting new pics since We been waiting like kids for ice-cream:) great shrimp by the way .

Too much ice cream and you will get FAT. Besides isn't it nice to have ice cream after craving it for weeks? Haha. :happydance:

Thank you, more pics.................... Soooon :haha:

omgomgomg

Can't wait!!! Also I know everyone else asked you, but seriously, how much to make a reactor. I'm using the Eheim 300 pumps on my build too! B)

Too much ice cream and you will get FAT. Besides isn't it nice to have ice cream after craving it for weeks? Haha. :happydance:

I just polished off a tub of ice cream yesterday :happy: Cake Batter flavored (OMG) :eek: SO GOOOOOOD.

Archived