Pod Your Reef

MiniMalistic Pico by NanoTopia

NanoTopia

omgomgomg

Can't wait!!! Also I know everyone else asked you, but seriously, how much to make a reactor. I'm using the Eheim 300 pumps on my build too! B)

I just polished off a tub of ice cream yesterday :happy: Cake Batter flavored (OMG) :eek: SO GOOOOOOD.

The reactor cost around $50 with pump and acrylic, but I had acrylic left over so I made a skimmer as well. Have you seen the new IM reactors? Basically what I made a year ago. If you like to make things you can do it for half the price. I am still running bio-pellets in the pico and it is working out quite well, I have about 20mL of pellets in it. No algae since I set it up, just a bit in the glass, none on the rocks. I started out with GFO in the reactor but found it so dam messy to work with so I changed to BP's.

Ice cream doesn't like me, it punishes me with spare tires :)

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can the reactor be submersed fully? The only reason I wouldn't go with the IM one, is it's too tall for my tank and I would want to hide it in one of my back chambers. I wish I was a DIY type guy, but i'm the furthest from it! :lol:

Ice cream doesn't like me, it punishes me with spare tires :)Spare tires are the new tubeless! Its better to have then not have;)

How tall is the diy reactor I bought three sofar and in pic they seem short and when they arrive they get put away since they are super tall.

Can the reactor be submersed fully? The only reason I wouldn't go with the IM one, is it's too tall for my tank and I would want to hide it in one of my back chambers. I wish I was a DIY type guy, but i'm the furthest from it! :lol:

Mine yes, in fact it is fully under the water now. Completely silent! Not sure about the IM one.

Wow just whent back and noticed size..wow! Tiny at only 7 inchestall. How did you make the cap to seal the top? Is it teo peieces of acrylic then rounded to size with a oring type gasket ?

I give you money, you make for me, ya? :P

Haha, people have tried this before with me, my deal is, I make the stuff for me then post it on YouTube...then a big company makes it and sells it a few months later, haha.

Talk to my agent :)

Wow just whent back and noticed size..wow! Tiny at only 7 inchestall. How did you make the cap to seal the top? Is it teo peieces of acrylic then rounded to size with a oring type gasket ?

Yes, you are right, that's how I did it. Took forever with crap tools though. It works quite well I must say, stays on during operation and when removed, allows for the media insert to be removed. Minimalistic design to save space.

crazy shrimp! where did you find that guy? hitchiker?

No I paid for it, $10 from LFS, had to have it :).

• 2 weeks later...

Hey There, great build! I have a question, what size drill head did you use for your biopellets reactor's screen? Thanks!

Hey There, great build! I have a question, what size drill head did you use for your biopellets reactor's screen? Thanks!

Thank you for the kind words. I drilled 1/8 inch holes in the acrylic then added a *screen over that so the pellets would not fall through or plug the holes much like the one in the picture (picture is from a larger BP reactor I modified). I think the screen (plastic canvas) is designed for needle point originally but it works the best.

6681412693_de0cfbb755.jpg
Hope that helps, Christine

Haha this made my day. I'm about 6'3" 230lbs. After reading your comment, I walked into the cross stitch store this afternoon. The old ladies in there are the sweetest things, they thought it was so great to have a young guy interested in cross stitch, that they sat me down through a 30min intro to cross stitching course. I didn't have the heart to tell them I needed it for a bio-reactor.

Thanks for the help again!

Haha this made my day. I'm about 6'3" 230lbs. After reading your comment, I walked into the cross stitch store this afternoon. The old ladies in there are the sweetest things, they thought it was so great to have a young guy interested in cross stitch, that they sat me down through a 30min intro to cross stitching course. I didn't have the heart to tell them I needed it for a bio-reactor.

:lol:

haha the things we do for our tanks.

• 1 month later...

How's the pico doing?

Justin, the pico is fine, kinda recovering from a little OD of bacteria (we all mess up). The new ADA 30C I am building will replace this pico in about 3 months but I still love it and everything is doing relatively well given I have not been paying attention to it much lately. I have been busy with the 20 gallon.

Christine

I swear I must live in a closet. I just found this. Incredible Christine!!!!

No too bad for a dudette........:)

Thanks Spiro, there are so many tank here on N-R it's easy to miss a few of them, I see new one all the time. :)

• 5 weeks later...
mattgreene22

Would love to see an update and fts. Btw, are you still liking your lights for sps? I saw the diy post and found those ballasts....but it looks like they run a max of 350ma. I'm not entirely sure how to translate that...but does it mean you don't get full power from your 3w leds? Love this Pico...just finished the thread.

Would love to see an update and fts. Btw, are you still liking your lights for sps? I saw the diy post and found those ballasts....but it looks like they run a max of 350ma. I'm not entirely sure how to translate that...but does it mean you don't get full power from your 3w leds? Love this Pico...just finished the thread.

Thanks Matt, the pico is doing fine. It's about to be torn down and replaced with my new ADA build in progress. I have had mixed success with it, monties growing slow but some LPS growing better. I kinda hate to tear it down, Iv'e grown fond of it over time.

The lights have worked well and served their purpose. I am not a techy when it comes to DIY led fixtures, the cree leds seem quite bright with the small drivers and 350ma. I am sure they are not running at full potential but they are bright enough to bleach LPS and just right for SPS. For a pico I think they are fine and the lower ma should translate into longer life for the emitters. Total wattage is 18, 5 inches over 3 gallons of water, no lenses. If you used lenses you could boost PAR quite a bit.

Hope this helps, I will post a FTS soon, Im just busy with so many things right now, stay tuned :)

Christine

• 2 weeks later...

How is the Long nose shrimp/Leander doing? I am seeing if my LFS can order one in for me. Just wondering how your experience has been with that little guy :)

How is the Long nose shrimp/Leander doing? I am seeing if my LFS can order one in for me. Just wondering how your experience has been with that little guy :)

He's doing just fine. This shrimp is very delicate, almost never saw him for the first two months, now he is out quite a bit. I would be careful who you put him in with, I think he could easily become a tasty meal. I have him in with two sexy shrimp and a hermit crab ATM, no fish. Not sure how he would fair with bigger fish and shrimp. In ant case he is cool, I lost the Bumble Bee Shrimp, Gnathophyllum americanum. and the Venus Anemone Shrimp, Anclyomenes venustus.

I am in the process of slowly shutting down this tank, moving some corals over to the 20g. Think I will leave it up and running for two more months at least though. The new ADA 7.2 gallon tank will replace this tank in mid summer if all goes as planned.

Christine

Archived