Pod Your Reef

Mike C's 4G Pico

mike c

FTS, and a couple other shots. Any ID's for the blue zoas or the palys with light green centers? (last pic, frag on right)

2012-05-27_20-35-43_804.jpg

2012-05-27_20-34-40_571.jpg

2012-05-27_20-33-55_429.jpg

2012-05-27_20-34-14_367.jpg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Love the orange skirts! And the orange SPS with the blue polyps, what is that gorgeous thang?

Lol, thanks Kat! Not sure if it has a name, but it's a Birdsnest I picked up at my LFS, only $10! They also have a nice purple polyp variation.

• 3 weeks later...

Last week I woke up to a bone white Strawberry shortcake acro. Happened literally overnight! I looked at the tank around 9pm the night before, and everything looked fine. Then at about 10am the next morning, it was completely bone. No tissue whatsoever. Any insight on why this happens? Maybe due to the fact its in a softy dominant tank? 0 trate/trites, no ammonia. Kh is on the low side (7.5), but not too low to cause concern. Ca 425, Mag 1350.

how long ago did you get the frag?

It was in my tank for just over two weeks. So yeah it could be shock to a new system, but it was looking so good. Then out of nowhere, overnight, just turned to bone.

well your picture shows no PE. was there something disturbing it?

Nothing I ever saw. There's a green clown goby in there, but I've never seen it mess with anything. I purposely fed him daily. These pics were taken minutes after introduction, so PE wasn't there. Although, now that you bring it up, PE was never as good I wanted. That could be the problem. Just a shock to happen overnight.

Last week I woke up to a bone white Strawberry shortcake acro. Happened literally overnight! I looked at the tank around 9pm the night before, and everything looked fine. Then at about 10am the next morning, it was completely bone. No tissue whatsoever. Any insight on why this happens? Maybe due to the fact its in a softy dominant tank? 0 trate/trites, no ammonia. Kh is on the low side (7.5), but not too low to cause concern. Ca 425, Mag 1350.

8 is a good alk so just bump a little more whats ph?

8 is a good alk so just bump a little more whats ph?

PH, the last time I checked, was 8.1. I havnt checked in a while, as I kind of take PH for granted. Its never fluctuated too much on me, so I sometimes forget it's importance.

Lack of flow and lack of light can do that. I had a acro explode on me from being at the low flow side of the tank when I had my lights turned down acclimating some other corals. If you weren't seeing good PE, it probably wasn't happy. We're you still acclimating on the bottom of the tank?

Its a 4g pico, with a RIO 400. Visually, it looked like sufficient flow. As far as the lights, yeah it was still at the bottom of the tank, about 22" away from a Par38. The light hangs 13" above the water line. Any closer and my shrooms shrivel up. Maybe thats where I went wrong, thinking it was getting sufficient light...

Just curious but what are your phosphates at?

Undetectable...wonder if I should take it to my LFS to compare.

I read your thread and i have two comments...

I am impressed with the Ecoxotics (good color)

and

You like the word dope :D

I read your thread and i have two comments...

I am impressed with the Ecoxotics (good color)

and

You like the word dope :D

Haha, thats dope!! :happy:

dvsclownfish1

Hey mike as far as the rio being enough flow that's what I have on mine but I also run a korallia nano and one of the bio cube nano pumps in there and I have the 8 gallon version of yours. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to throw one on yours. And I wouldn't think it would be from the softies cause I have a prtty well mixed tank and my sps are rockin. I just wish I could get my pics to come out better like yours.

Hey mike as far as the rio being enough flow that's what I have on mine but I also run a korallia nano and one of the bio cube nano pumps in there and I have the 8 gallon version of yours. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to throw one on yours. And I wouldn't think it would be from the softies cause I have a prtty well mixed tank and my sps are rockin. I just wish I could get my pics to come out better like yours.

Ill definitely look into that.

Im just using my phone, lol. I get better pics with it than my digital camera.

Nice pictures, how did you capture them under blue LED's mine are always stupid looking.

I just used my phone. But I kinda found that if you use a background light, or basically not in a dark room, you can sometimes get good pics. I had my overhead kitchen light on.

what are those little zoa's on the first pic right hand corner? they're sweet!

They're Orange Bam Bam's. Definitely one of my favs! I have some sweet Rastas in there too, but one of my mushrooms was rubbing it, and I think is causing its demise.

Archived