inTank Media Baskets

swilbert76 biocube14 setup

swilbert76

no clue banshee, I wanna say sebae though... from my research thats what i have been able to come up with... but I got mine for a steal... (15 bucks) from my friend who happens to own a LFS :) gotta love the good friend discount!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cute nem and clown! What kind of anemone is that?

It's called a condylactis anemone, they are very hardy and easy to keep, not to mention cheap ( I picked this guy up for $6 bucks at LFS) And it loves eating Brine shrimp!!

I have the exact same anemone... but my clown is not hosting it... just kinda sitting near it...

Ya know the best thing to do is to put the fish and the anemone in a small bucket 3gallons or less and just throw a heater and a airstone in there and let them work it out. My friend gave me that trick and sure enough it worked for me, I guess with all the other distractions out of the way the fish ends up paying all of its attention to whats in the bucket. :D

Got a super sweet deal on this chunk of coral @ PETCO!!! The guy said a little piece had broke off of it and that nobody was going buy it looking the way it does, so he gives it to me at 50% off.. I took this home for the bargain price of $25 bucks, there's at least 40-50 heads on it. I'll shoot off another pic when they get opened up.

post-72778-1333025476_thumb.jpg

I went back and counted all the little zoa heads and theres closer to 115 polyps on this piece. What a deal!!! I forgot to mention they labeled this as a green star polyp, I said to the guy " you know this isnt a green star polyp right?" so he looks at me all confused and says " That's what the sign says it is".. OY!!

FTS :P

post-72778-1333026227_thumb.jpg

Some fresh pics of my zoa's that opened up..Kenya tree finally standing up..And of course Otis and Annie the Anem. Otis is so jealous of Milo that he just stays in Annie all the time and usually only comes out to feed. Even then he'll only come out just far enough to eat and if he sees Milo coming he races back in to Annie's arms and pokes his head out. So funny to watch this going on.

The arrow crab is doing great with all his tank mates also, from all the reading I did on this crab I thought for sure he would be problems. But he has been nothing but a perfect angel in my tank. Hasn't killed a snail, hermit, fish, or coral, I'm sure it could always happen but so far so good :P

Anywho,,, on with the pics!! ;)

post-72778-1333116922_thumb.jpg

post-72778-1333117001_thumb.jpg

post-72778-1333117036_thumb.jpg

post-72778-1333117075_thumb.jpg

Came home to what I thought was a dead crab, which would have really bummed me out, but here he just molted. The shell was really freaky looking though!! :o

post-72778-1333449096_thumb.jpg

The boxer crab finally came out far enough to take a decent picture of him. Of course Otis was having no part of being left out of the shot. Jealous fishy :P

post-72778-1333449143_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Added a new coral into the tank this week...Very cool Waving Hands Polyps, when I target feed them they ball up into a fist.. Just haven't found a permanent spot for them yet.

Does anyone have an idea on removing these guys from a plug or should I just leave them on? I've removed a few corals from plugs already, but these look to be a little more difficult to get off the plug without hurting the base of the coral.

post-72778-1334331336_thumb.jpg

post-72778-1334331393_thumb.jpg

Sweet deal on the zoas from petco, some look like radioactive dragon eyes,PLEASE tell me you really didn't pay $25. for those.( I would be soooo jealous)

I swear it to be true!! $25 for that giant chunk of zoas... The Petco near me is really trying to sell alot of salty's along with what they always did, so I'm always there on delivery day trying to get the deals :D

I've seen a few people place the plug at an agle to the rock or glass where they want them and the polyps will walk off the plug on their own. :)

I've seen a few people place the plug at an agle to the rock or glass where they want them and the polyps will walk off the plug on their own. :)

That a great idea Banshee!! I've never heard of doing that but I will give it a try and see what happens.. I'd love to get a picture of that thing coming off the plug of it's own free will :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Heres a fresh shot of the WHP's, I finally found them a good spot in the tank. They're already growing off the side of the plug!!

post-72778-1335201489_thumb.jpg

FTS... Up front is the new mushroom I picked up for $5. I also moved my Kenya tree over with the rest of the coral, the anemone was getting a little too touchy with it. The purple mushroom to the far right sprouted two baby mushrooms very excited about that. And one of my Hermit crabs moved out of his shell into a bigger shell, also very exciting.

On a sad note I had to remove the Arrow Crab and relocate him to a friends tank, he just got too big for the Nano. On the bright side, ever since I moved him out the Pom Pom has been out and about on a regular basis.

And finally some scary news.......... we had a power outage last night........ and I still haven't bought a generator...... No power for almost 2 hours, I started to tweak out a little bit. The freshwater tank has made it through some bad summers where we lose power for days at a time. But I'm not taking any chances with the salty, I will be buying a generator this weekend.

post-72778-1335202417_thumb.jpg

Archived