Pod Your Reef

swilbert76 biocube14 setup

swilbert76

I dont know lol. I pretty much run at 72-76. Seems like it is worse when the water is cooler than when it is hot (78 - 80).

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bristle worms are fine depending on what corals you plan to keep. Some sps corals cant be in a tank with bristle worms, but most anything else is fine.

huh? really? every tank has bristle worms unless you boil your rock, and even then i feel like a few suckers would survive! Which SPS? I have acros, pocillo, stylos, montis... no probs with them and i see the birstle worms all the time. Which ones are sensitive?

IMO BW are important detritus eaters and part of a healthy ecosystem. but use glove in the tank or you WILL get stung...every time :o

BTW your trek poster is AWESOME. I feel like picard is photo shopped though, can't imagine he would ever show weakness esp on the bridge!. But i may know the episode riker made that gesture..though he did it pretty frequently :;:D TREKIE DORK ! :D

huh? really? every tank has bristle worms unless you boil your rock, and even then i feel like a few suckers would survive! Which SPS? I have acros, pocillo, stylos, montis... no probs with them and i see the birstle worms all the time. Which ones are sensitive?

IMO BW are important detritus eaters and part of a healthy ecosystem. but use glove in the tank or you WILL get stung...every time :o

BTW your trek poster is AWESOME. I feel like picard is photo shopped though, can't imagine he would ever show weakness esp on the bridge!. But i may know the episode riker made that gesture..though he did it pretty frequently :;:D TREKIE DORK ! :D

nah the Picard half isnt shopped its from the episode where they were trying to prove Data was sentient.

I had a problem with BW a couple years ago on a hammer and some froogspawn. I dont know if this is always the case, but they gave me trouble.

but it is two pictures put together :)

Thanks for your feedback ecogirl!! After reading into it further I think I've come to the same conclusion. My thoughts on aquaria are keep it simple, and if I can build a clean enough natural filtration system that never requires chemicals all the better. I clean my 150 gal freshwater tank about twice a year and my water sparkles at all times.

Also kudos on your vast knowledge of Star Trek!! I'm more Star Wars than Trek but I do appreciate a woman that knows her Sci Fi ;)

I dont know lol. I pretty much run at 72-76. Seems like it is worse when the water is cooler than when it is hot (78 - 80).

IDK Jai maybe your just gonna have to wait it out a bit...... My knowledge of saltwater is limited to what Ive read in books and researched on the forums.. Ive run freshwater for 17 years but I'm still learning this all new to me :D My advice is based on what I've been able to deduce from many different opinions and it seems youve covered all those bases.......I will continue to look though :lol: I know my bloom is just around the corner

Well its Day 11 now and things are pretty normal. All the water parameters are checking in ok. Water looks good. Cheato is growing. Bristle worms are bristling :lol: Having some temperature fluctuations due to my fuge light that Im going to have to get fixed before I can add anything into the tank :angry:

Still waiting to see a diatom bloom......I'm actually anxious to have a bloom, then I'll be begging for it to go away....

you han have some of my Diatoms :) I dont want them anymore! lol They are actually going away now...

They must have heard us talking about all the devious things we were planning to do to them... RO/DI water!! Muahahahah!!!!

I never had a bloom except for a couple brown patches on the sand and glass. My hermits and snails cleaned up the sand and rocks and I scrape the glass every day so it never spread very far. My parameters finally reached zero today so I went coral shopping! Can't wait to see what you'll be adding soon!

I never had a bloom except for a couple brown patches on the sand and glass. My hermits and snails cleaned up the sand and rocks and I scrape the glass every day so it never spread very far. My parameters finally reached zero today so I went coral shopping! Can't wait to see what you'll be adding soon!

Pics Pics.. I'll be watching for you to put them up tonight...

Well life in the tank is still the same.. water parameters all good. I bought the API reef master kit to compliment the saltwater test kit. Phosphate tested below 0.25, calcium tested at 460, kh 179 gh/kh. The tanks trites and trates have been steady 0 for over a week now. Everything looks like a go for Friday, I'm adding my first chunk of coral. And maybe a shrimp :P

Got home from work today and what do I find living in my tank? 100's of Copepods!!! Looks like my Coral will be eating good when they come home on Friday.

Hurry up and take some pics already! :)

As soon as I get a chunk of coral in there it's picture time!! My iphone is what I'm using for pics so they will only be as good as Apple will let them. I tried to snap a shot of the copepod clan, but they wont sit still :angry:

Well I finally broke down and went to ThatFishPlace. Better know as that $$$$$Place. But what a great selection of fish and coral. The coral tank in there is 100ft long and double sided with an open top and crystal clear water. Theres just no signs of algea in that tank at all, its what all LFS's should strive to achieve. It really makes you feel like its safe to add the stuff right into your tank with no worries ( i did still dip my corals though ). So I bought some Coral and a few new peeps for the tank.

Corals:

Orange and Green Zoa mix frag

Green Polyp

Green Star Polyps

Purple mushroom

Galaxea or Tooth Coral

New Peeps:

3 Bumblebee snails

1 Arrow Crab <=== super fun to watch, this guy never stops moving.

1 Boxer or Pom Pom Crab <=== also cool cuz he is carrying two mini anemones

I'll post a few pics = all I have is my Iphone that stinks at fishtank pictures :angry:

This pic is my fav :lol: the arrow crab is just standing there holding court over all the smaller creatures.

post-72778-1331420086_thumb.jpg

The green star polyps wont open because my CUC are lawnmowing the crap out of the algea that is interlaced through the coral. Money well spent :D

post-72778-1331421589_thumb.jpgpost-72778-1331421602_thumb.jpgpost-72778-1331421624_thumb.jpg[atta

chment=107484:4.JPG]post-72778-1331421654_thumb.jpg

The pics are ok...again its only an iphone and it kinda washed out the color on the coral. Orange zoas are beautiful.

Pom Pom is super shy so I'm glad I got the picture of him. I think they are mostly nocturnal and only come out when the moonlights are on.

I'll post better pics when I get a better camera.

post-72778-1331421640_thumb.jpg

My blue lights kicked on in the tank. The orange zoas and the green polyps are neon looking under the light...very cool!!!

Not much new to report this week. Everything is thriving and all the levels are in check. The Arrow Crab is the BOMB!!! I love watching him eat and creep around the tank... He hasn't touched a single coral or snail or crab so I guess only time will tell if he truly is the killer that everyone said he would be. I hope not because as far as crabs go he's the coolest one to watch. My Pom Pom crab stays hidden at all times day and night, I have to trick him with food just to catch a glimpse.

I'm on the hunt for some more coral this weekend. Zoas I think.

post-72778-1332162336_thumb.jpgpost-72778-1332162344_thumb.jpg

Added a few new corals in this weekend. Green Dragon Eye zoas - which look awesome under the actinic lights, like ultra neon green. I also added a Kenya tree which looks a little droopy right now, still mad from the move i guess.

post-72778-1332163385_thumb.jpg

This is about the best shot I could get. Milo came home with the Coral as well. :D He seems a little bit off so far though, it would seem he prefers to swim in a loop ta loop fashion rather than in a straight line..

Introducing Annie the anemone and Otis the Clown :P // Otis hosted into that anemone in less than 5 minutes and hasn't left since!! Aren't they cute :D

post-72778-1332784320_thumb.jpg

Archived