Top Shelf Aquatics

Banshee's 14G BioCube

banshee

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My c. barbata would try to float away too. I had to glue it down.

Bummer about your clownfish :( This reminds me that I need to pick up some clove oil for times when euthanizing is necessary.

All I have left is the Green Clown Goby. Thankfully he seems fine. I'm going to wait until end of July to get any more fish. I may hold off on getting the 40B running too until I have everything under control. :(

Sorry to see that you lost another clown. They are by far my favorites. Have you thought about catching the Goby and putting him in quarantine for the next 2 months so you can let the tank fallow to make sure you don't have any parasites in it?

So sorry about the clown that totally sucks.. But what does it explain??

It explains that I have Brooklynella parasites in my tank. Clownfish are extremely susceptible to them and usually die within 24-48 hours of the onset of symptoms. I've lost three clowns since I started this tank and now I know why.

Sorry to see that you lost another clown. They are by far my favorites. Have you thought about catching the Goby and putting him in quarantine for the next 2 months so you can let the tank fallow to make sure you don't have any parasites in it?

I need to pick up a small tank and a piece of PVC or something + a filter and then I'll see if I can catch the goby. Either that or move him to my pico. I'm just not sure how to go about catching him. He's so tiny and he hardly ever leaves his hole in the rock.

TeflonTomDosh
It explains that I have Brooklynella parasites in my tank. Clownfish are extremely susceptible to them and usually die within 24-48 hours of the onset of symptoms. I've lost three clowns since I started this tank and now I know why.

I'm curious how you're so sure it's Brooklynella. It's very contagious and fast acting, so I'd feel pretty safe in assuming that if any of your clowns had it at any given time, the others would be affected by it as well. Being that they've all died at seperate times, with plenty of space in between, it's probably something else....

I'm thinking that stress fators caused them to become susceptible. The first clown died within days of being brought home so I think it introduced the parasites. Then the second clown made it a month but suddenly quit eating then died within hours. I thought it was the temp swing that happened that day but now I think the temp swing weakened him and let the Brooklynella take hold. I had another pretty big temp swing the day the b/w clown started showing symptoms so I think the same thing happened there. They can fight the parasites and survive okay until something throws their immune system out of whack and then it's downhill from there. All the signs point to Brook. Open mouth, pale mouth and gills, color loss starting at the head, sloughing mucus/skin, and death within a day of symptoms.

TeflonTomDosh
I'm thinking that stress fators caused them to become susceptible. The first clown died within days of being brought home so I think it introduced the parasites. Then the second clown made it a month but suddenly quit eating then died within hours. I thought it was the temp swing that happened that day but now I think the temp swing weakened him and let the Brooklynella take hold. I had another pretty big temp swing the day the b/w clown started showing symptoms so I think the same thing happened there. They can fight the parasites and survive okay until something throws their immune system out of whack and then it's downhill from there. All the signs point to Brook. Open mouth, pale mouth and gills, color loss starting at the head, sloughing mucus/skin, and death within a day of symptoms.

I'm with you on that, I'm just questioning the B'nella being how contagious it is. Either way, we should be celebrating their lives, not trying to figure out what led to their deaths. RIP :grouphug:

Got all my macros placed and received clove polyps and a GORGEOUS yuma from Ethan. Thanks so much Ethan! :wub: I hope you got your rics today!

Wow! Everything looks so nice. The macro really makes the tank pop.

Ohh damn that sucks.... how long can these parasites survive without a host/how long before your tank is clear?

8+ weeks. I'm expecting that I'll try adding fish again in August. Hopefully I'll have my 40B running by then and I can try clowns again at that time.

ScubaEthan
What makes my frogspawn different? I never noticed anything off about it but I haven't seen others in person.

It looks like it has... um... multiple balls on each "stem" instead of just one on each end... does that make sense? Versus this.

Sorry about your clown :( I hope you figure out that Brooklynella stuff.

It looks like it has... um... multiple balls on each "stem" instead of just one on each end... does that make sense? Versus this.

Sorry about your clown :( I hope you figure out that Brooklynella stuff.

You're right! It does have multiple tips on each stalk. Weird!

Super CatPig

Your Frogspawn looks nice. Multiple balls looks normal to me.. I'm thinking Hammer Coral are the ones that have just 1 though I've never owned one.

I need to pick up a small tank and a piece of PVC or something + a filter and then I'll see if I can catch the goby. Either that or move him to my pico. I'm just not sure how to go about catching him. He's so tiny and he hardly ever leaves his hole in the rock.

If you can't catch him, have you thought about setting up your new tank, and moving everything but him to the new tank? You could then get him into a medicated quarantine with a UV sterilizer to make sure he isn't a carrier with some level of immunity that's keeping him from being overcome. You'd still need to do the 2 month fallow on the new tank, but you're probably going to have to do that no matter what. Since it sounds like you are definitely an aquarium person, you could set it up to have a quarantine tank for new fish, a quarantine tank for new inverts, the display tank, and possibly a frag tank. That way, if you are patient enough to do it, you can guarantee not introducing parasites into your display. I know that it is hard to be patient enough though. I just got back into keeping fish as pets and didn't do it with this first tank. I relied on very careful inspection of fish and their behavior, and a UV sterilizer in chamber 3. I really hope it doesn't come back and bite me. The next tank, I will definitely be doing it right. I'm planning on a larger tank with a pair of Black Ice clowns, a Flame Angel, and a Pacific Blue Tang, so I will have to stick to very strict quarantine protocols or Marine Ich will definitely wipe out the tank.

Edit:

By the way. Loving the Macros. I'm in the tedious process of getting the Grape Caulerpa out of my tank that I really wish I never added. Back in the day, it was the easiest way to bring down phosphates and nitrates. Now, I have a refugium with some Chaeto coming in for it, and there is actually a good amount of Red Gracilaria and Halimeda hidden in back of the live rock in my tank, but you've got me thinking of adding some display macros. If you don't mind my asking, what are the names of the red and green macros on the left side?

RC - I think you're looking at the codium and dragon's breath. They're both very nice display macros!

Thanks Kat. I'm not even sure clowns are in my future right now. I may stick to the things I seem to not kill, like gobies and my mandarin.

ScubaEthan

You should upload new photos of the yuma and blue cloves! I'm really curious as to why the blue cloves are so unhappy. I'd definitely try sending you more at some point if you want. Maybe they need overnight shipping.

Thanks Paigee! The tank is doing well. Everything else is fine. The porcelain crab molted and scared the heck outta me. I wasn't expecting it I guess. I'll try to get new pics this weekend since my mom is taking the kids! :happy:

So I think I'm fish-less. I haven't seen the green clown goby all weekend even after a water change. I checked all the rear chambers and in back of the rock but didn't find a body. I guess he was small enough that the CUC made quick work. My tank is officially pathetic now.

Archived