Innovative Marine Aquariums

dfcn07's 12g Nano Cube DX

dfcn07

It looks pretty cool actually. I see a few things wrong (keep in mind I'm a FW planted noob). Sand isn't the greatest substrate. An air bubbler makes the Co2 leave the tank faster...or something like that :lol: You want to keep it in the tank as much as possible.

I love the looks of the bubblers in tanks but I haven't put one in because of the co2 issue.

Did the plants grow at all for you?

lol!!! I know right?! I figured that out as I put the tank together. Also the bubbles increased the pH which everything freshwater didn't like. If anything, I should've put driftwood in there. The roots grew wild but the plants looked like they weren't doing well. The substrate was also too fine for the roots to expand or gain minerals from. I was dosing with Co2 plant growth stuff. Anyways, I ended up giving my phantoms to my friend, and my fish and plants to my cousin. Luckily I had 0 casualties plant or fish. :lol:

That's a cute little planted tank. Though I'm not sure if the grassy plants are fully aquatic. You have to be careful sometimes with plants sold at Petco and Petsmart, sometimes they sell plants that are not fully aquatic. They end up dying eventually.

Also nothing wrong with sand. I usually prefer it in freshwater tanks since it's pretty cheap.

Haha! Thanks! I really loved that my dwarf Candy Striped Pleco would go inside the dwarf house to rest during the day. I think I had a harder time with that tank setup back then then I ever did with my saltwater tank. I guess the fact that I did 1-2 months of saltwater research helped. I also agree, definitely tons cheaper.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a reason why planted people call the saltwater hobby "the dark side." Too expensive. LOL.

Yeah, the sandbed is way too super fine! I have a freshy too, but unlike your guys' it's a river tank for my sewellia loaches and stiphodon gobies. Man do those tetras look huge in your tank! Maybe it's because the plants are small. Haha. Most anubias species don't like having their roots buried and actually prefer to attach onto wood and rock. Man am I glad you went salt, looking much better! :)

There's a reason why planted people call the saltwater hobby "the dark side." Too expensive. LOL.

Yeah, the sandbed is way too super fine! I have a freshy too, but unlike your guys' it's a river tank for my sewellia loaches and stiphodon gobies. Man do those tetras look huge in your tank! Maybe it's because the plants are small. Haha. Most anubias species don't like having their roots buried and actually prefer to attach onto wood and rock. Man am I glad you went salt, looking much better! :)

Haha! Yeah. Definitely glad I went salt. But yeah... Where can I get a Doni clown or a regular Picasso? Because I want to get one if I catch Belle nipping at Val. :(

Also... Is it bad of I do a daily water change of 2.5-3 gallons?

Another thing. I've always enjoyed the dark side. They always have the cooler things. Haha.

You can get a doni clown on her site! Just google "Doni snowcasso." She updates every Saturday. Try hitting up alphacorals and divers den on liveaquaria (but a tad bit pricey...).

I don't think changing your water that often is good... maybe every 4 days if you do that? Because 6 gallons is already 50% water change. You'd want established water vs new water. I don't see the need for it as well.

You can get a doni clown on her site! Just google "Doni snowcasso." She updates every Saturday. Try hitting up alphacorals and divers den on liveaquaria (but a tad bit pricey...).

I don't think changing your water that often is good... maybe every 4 days if you do that? Because 6 gallons is already 50% water change. You'd want established water vs new water. I don't see the need for it as well.

Haha! Yeah! I just read that siphoning the gravel shouldn't be done more than once every 2 weeks, as it gets rid of good bacteria. I'm just trying to get rid of the brown spots on my tank. Turns out they're some sort of brown algae? My TSB loves them though. But yeah. I don't like the brown look. Also it seems like purple coralline algae is growing on top of thr brown in some sections. Weird eh?

I checked out Doni's site and realized that just the picassos run up to $120 for 1 and $200 for 2. I can only imagine how much the Snowcassos go for. I might just get a snowflake. I'm not willing to spend so much on fish.

I guess I'll just test for NO3 and Phosphates. Of they're higher than desirable ill do a water change every other day until they're normalized.

I never had NO3 readings above 0 since I had chaeto and a skimmer. But I should definitely check for Phosphates. I haven't checked that in a month.

I found a place that sells black ice clowns. So now I need to sell my Perc Pair. Any takers? I need to get rid of them and willing to sell for cheap. Message me of you're near me and interested! :)

I'm the food god.

:wizard: I love being my tank's god.

Your avatar is really cute too :happy:

I agree!

Ooops forgot to answer your question. I'm planning on adding a Neon Green Toadstool in the middle of the 2nd floor. A variety of Ricordeas or Zoas/Palys on the bottom 2 shelves. Xenias, GSP, or more Zoas on the left and right shelves of the 2nd floor. And maybe GSP or Atomic Sympodium on the 3rd and highest floor. GSP might be a bad idea since it might consume all the excess rockspace as it grows.

Sounds good. You can always sell off bits of GSP to pay for new stuff :) It's an investment! Or give it to newbies. I like paying it forward cause people have done that for me.

Day 109: Added a Helfrichi Firefish. Naming her Val... short for Valentine.

198158452324184775_2yHxCodH.jpg

She's gorgeous. I love names with meaning.

Black ice clowns are awesome. Can't wait to see your future ones.

:wizard: I love being my tank's god.

I agree!

Sounds good. You can always sell off bits of GSP to pay for new stuff :) It's an investment! Or give it to newbies. I like paying it forward cause people have done that for me.

She's gorgeous. I love names with meaning.

Black ice clowns are awesome. Can't wait to see your future ones.

Haha! Yeah! I'm so excited to add these. I got my pair of Black Ice clowns... They're so tiny! My male perc is about 1.5"... and both of these juvenile Black Ice clowns are about 0.75" to 1". Very active and have blue on them!

If you are looking for nice clowns check out Alpha corals. That's where one of my clowns came from.

Thanks! I'll definitely check them out in the future! I went to Coral Grazers over in OC and got myself a pair of Black Ice clowns, so I think I'm set. Now to find a buyer for my percula pair, while I quarantine my Black Ice.

Day 111: Replacing my Percula clown pair for these gorgeous ORA Black Ice clowns, which are currently temp acclimating. They're 2 x smaller for now and also have blue on them! So they'll have time to get to know my firefish as they grow up. Also getting rid of the Percula Pair while I QT my Black Ices. If you're interested and in the LA area. Message me! :happy:

198158452324202440_3DUn8i6H.jpg

Wow...those are beautiful!!!! Everyone is getting these awesome clownfish lately :happy:

They're gorgeous. I'll take better pics. Maybe I can get a picture with some of their blue in it.

Well... I woke up with extremely disturbing news. Worst I've had in the 3-4 months that I've been in the hobby. Woke up, looked at fish, the lights were off and they seemed to be sleeping, so I went hiking. When I got back, the lights are now on and 2 of the new Black Ice Clowns that I got had ich. 1 more than the other. As I was setting up the QT, the one that had it the worst ended up just giving up and dying. Now I have 1 black ice with ich, and trying to bring him back... Now that I know my tank has ich. I'm mostlikely going to take it down and start over with a 20 breeder... :( I never knew that ich can appear and kill of fish within 12 hrs... Totally sucks.

Mostlikely turning my 12 gallon to a QT... or might sell it.

Actually all my fish look healthy still and eating 'til full. Helfrichi FF eating more now as well. Going to keep my 12 for now, unless I see ich on them.

I'm hoping I can cure this ich problem on my 1 black ice clown in the QT.

Ich isn't a big problem in my experience, not enough to take your tank down. It goes away on its own. Almost impossible to NOT have it.

Ich isn't a big problem in my experience, not enough to take your tank down. It goes away on its own. Almost impossible to NOT have it.

Yeah. I don't know how 1 clown could die so quick. He seemed fine when I got him. I guess the big thing I missed was that I didn't ask them to feed the clown to see if he'll eat. I have the other clown in a 5 gal QT. doing hyposalinity w/ formalin.

Oh geeze!!!! So sorry to hear this :(

How's the other clownfish doing today? That ich worked incredibly fast!!!! Was it little white spots all over them? Sounds more like brooklynella to me. More of a powdery white dusting. But can still look spotty. Sorry this happened.

Oh geeze!!!! So sorry to hear this :(

How's the other clownfish doing today? That ich worked incredibly fast!!!! Was it little white spots all over them? Sounds more like brooklynella to me. More of a powdery white dusting. But can still look spotty. Sorry this happened.

Yeah, I'm not sure which one it was. I figured I'd QT/Treat him with hypo and Formalin, since it cures both marine ich and brooklyn... That was the fastest kill I've ever seen... :( Within 12 hours. I didn't even get a chance to react because I was asleep for 4 of those hours and out hiking for 3 of those. That was my very first death/disease in the tank. The survivor still has it. Seems a lot better, but hes not eating at all. He chases the food, puts it in his mouth, and then spits it out. :( I've been trying to feed with Mysis and/or Spectrum Thera + A pellets soaked in Kent Garlic and V3 Vitamin Soak. I'll put up pics of my QT setup and the survivor in a bit.

On a good side, my Helfrichi FF is doing great and is out most of the time now. Also eats a lot more compared to the first 2-3 days.

QT Day 2: Black Ich Clown.

198158452324215735_GN3Eyxas.jpg

QT Setup w/ spare parts and tank:

Tank: Mr. Aqua 5.2 Gal

Filter: AquaClear 50 w/ sponge attached to intake pipe.

Heater: Fluval E-Series 100watt

Salinity: 1.012

pH: 8.1-8.2

Temp: 77.5

FTS:

198158452324215743_Y4hnE589.jpg

Oh no :(

It sucks getting new fish then finding out they are sick. Good luck with treatment.

Thanks. Yeah... Totally sucks. I really hate that it had to happen on my most expensive purchase and I can't return/exchange it. Now thinking about never going to that store. My cousin purchased coral there and found 1 day later that his fish just got ich. I'm not sure if there was a relation or if its possible for ich to transfer that way.

I think if the eggs/cysts are on the rocks/frags it could transfer. Not positive, but that sounds logical.

How's the clown doing today? Better, I hope. fingerscrossed

I think if the eggs/cysts are on the rocks/frags it could transfer. Not positive, but that sounds logical.

How's the clown doing today? Better, I hope. fingerscrossed

I think he's doing worse. But glad he's still alive. Might have to administer a big water change and administer a 2nd or different type of treatment if the ich is still on him.

Oh and also... about the fast killing ich. I also found this article, which is really scary...

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/ichparasi...es/a/newich.htm

... If this is what I had, I'll have to get that Crypto-Pro that they mention. Definitely scary stuff.

Archived