Pod Your Reef

dfcn07's 12g Nano Cube DX

dfcn07

Day 109: Added a Helfrichi Firefish. Naming her Val... short for Valentine.

198158452324184775_2yHxCodH.jpg

omgomgomg

Is there a picture of her????? Love the name :) I got my Christmas gobies (green banded gobies) around Christmas time and someone suggested I name them Vixen and :lol: can't remember the other name. Anyways...great name choice :happy:

Are you sure you want to get rid of the clowns? They are sooo pretty!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lol! Yeah! I'm going to get rid of a clown or 2.

I love my clowns! If anything, you could switch them up for some picassos. *hint hint* B)

omgomgomg

Is there a picture of her????? Love the name :) I got my Christmas gobies (green banded gobies) around Christmas time and someone suggested I name them Vixen and :lol: can't remember the other name. Anyways...great name choice :happy:

Are you sure you want to get rid of the clowns? They are sooo pretty!

Thanks Gena! That picture is actually the picture of her right when I added her in the tank after acclimation. And, also, it was me that suggested Vixen and Blitzen for your Christmas gobies. :lol: I thought names would be perfect for them especially for what they are and the time you got them! haha.

I was talking to buddythelion and he convinced me to maybe keep my clowns. I'll see how the bioload goes with my heavy filtration system. I'll also watch closely if there are territorial disputes. But as for now everyone seems happy. They all have their own special sections and no drama. :happy:

I love my clowns! If anything, you could switch them up for some picassos. *hint hint* B)

Haha! I was thinking of doing that! Well... I was scared of overstocking so I was thinking of returning/selling my pair and picking up a Picasso or a Snowflake.

Day 110: Side view video of my Nano Cube. Featuring Belle and Beast (Percula pair), Kravitz (Tail Spot Blenny), and Valentine (Helfrichi Firefish). This video was taken because all the fish decided to come to this side as I was taking pictures of Val. :lol: My fish are attention whores.

... And here is the most recent and cleanest picture I can take of my newest addition, Val. She's really tiny, about 1.5 inches long.

198158452324190405_uGEr1OC2.jpg

Val is a beauty!!!! Isn't it funny how they always look so mad???? :lol: I'm glad she's tiny. You'll have her for a longer time than I had mine!

Loved the video too. Your TSB looks so healthy! Looks like he wants to be friends with the FF :)

also, it was me that suggested Vixen and Blitzen for your Christmas gobies. :lol: I thought names would be perfect for them especially for what they are and the time you got them! haha.

:lol: that was you????? That's hysterical. I remember Vixen but couldn't remember Blitzen. You are creative with your fish names...love them :)

Val is a beauty!!!! Isn't it funny how they always look so mad???? :lol: I'm glad she's tiny. You'll have her for a longer time than I had mine!

Loved the video too. Your TSB looks so healthy! Looks like he wants to be friends with the FF :)

:lol: that was you????? That's hysterical. I remember Vixen but couldn't remember Blitzen. You are creative with your fish names...love them :)

Haha thanks! Yeah she is a beauty! She definitely steals all the color from the tank. She looks mean but she acts/seems like a complete sweetheart. When I was feeding the fish. She was still shy and only ate the ones that floated her way.

As for names... I couldn't think of one for my cleaner shrimp. I was leaning towards Whiskers but that sounds too catty. Haha.

Now to find good coral that wont look too bland now that Val is in there. Any suggestions? Thinking about Neon Cloves, Orange and Green Ricordeas, Neon Toadstool, GSP?

Haha thanks! Yeah she is a beauty! She definitely steals all the color from the tank. She looks mean but she acts/seems like a complete sweetheart. When I was feeding the fish. She was still shy and only ate the ones that floated her way.

As for names... I couldn't think of one for my cleaner shrimp. I was leaning towards Whiskers but that sounds too catty. Haha.

Now to find good coral that wont look too bland now that Val is in there. Any suggestions? Thinking about Neon Cloves, Orange and Green Ricordeas, Neon Toadstool, GSP?

I like whiskers! Not too catty at all. They do look like they have whiskers :)

I like all the coral on your list...but heads up...the cloves are ultra finicky. From my experience anyways. You might have tons of luck with them though!

I like whiskers! Not too catty at all. They do look like they have whiskers :)

I like all the coral on your list...but heads up...the cloves are ultra finicky. From my experience anyways. You might have tons of luck with them though!

Really? :( What problems did you have with the cloves?

Really? :( What problems did you have with the cloves?

Very fussy. One day they look wonderful and the next day you think they're dying. Right now mine are half happy and half mad. I never know what to expect from them :lol:

Try them and see!!!!!

surgicalsense

Like the scape .... since your in our area. Where did you get your girlie perc?

.... why do these FF have grimes on their little faces :P

Very fussy. One day they look wonderful and the next day you think they're dying. Right now mine are half happy and half mad. I never know what to expect from them :lol:

Try them and see!!!!!

I'll definitely try. Did you ever see the ones in Vivid that are have Orange and Green? I want to see if I can score some of those. Hehe. I hope your neon cloves get better!

Like the scape .... since your in our area. Where did you get your girlie perc?

.... why do these FF have grimes on their little faces :P

I got them at Rainbow. It's best to get stuff there within 1-2 weeks that they receive them, because they start to look a little unhealthy. The clowns and the snowflakes clowns that they got that didn't sell have some health issues around their mouths/jaws. I'm thinking it's because they keep them all separated in their own small spaces and they've been bumping the glass hard. Sometimes they get really good stuff though. I scored my perc pair and my helfrichi over there. The TSB was from Vivid. But yeah, Rainbow is always worth a visit on Tuesdays/Wednesdays when they restock.

Cloves can be tricky. Just got to be on top of your water params. When they're happy, they grow like weeds. My gold cloves in the other tank started off with a 4 polyp $5 frag, and took over the whole top of a 15lb rock! Water was slacking off, and then poof. All gone. I'd say to increase your chances of keeping them alive you should frag some at a point so when one goes down it doesn't take the whole colony along for the ride.

I got me some gold cloves that hitchhiked on my king midas zoas on accident luckily though. Grew 3 polyps in about 2 months in the shade. Just shows how hardy they are when they're happy.

The green and gold ones you're talking about are called Papaya Cloves... Hands down one of the nicest! Get 'em get 'em already!

Cloves can be tricky. Just got to be on top of your water params. When they're happy, they grow like weeds. My gold cloves in the other tank started off with a 4 polyp $5 frag, and took over the whole top of a 15lb rock! Water was slacking off, and then poof. All gone. I'd say to increase your chances of keeping them alive you should frag some at a point so when one goes down it doesn't take the whole colony along for the ride.

I got me some gold cloves that hitchhiked on my king midas zoas on accident luckily though. Grew 3 polyps in about 2 months in the shade. Just shows how hardy they are when they're happy.

The green and gold ones you're talking about are called Papaya Cloves... Hands down one of the nicest! Get 'em get 'em already!

YES!! That's what they are! Papaya Cloves! The guy at the fish store said that they made them by mixing green cloves and orange ones and eventually the bonded and made those. I'm not sure if he was joking. But yeah... Papaya cloves are the exact ones. They're sexy under actinics! I'm going to buy at least 3-4 corals for my tank as soon as I get my tax refund. lol!

My plan is to get orange Rics for the bottom left shelf, green Rics for the bottom right shelf, neon Toadstool for the middle of the 2nd floor (hoping that it hosts my clowns), and Papaya cloves for the left and right shelf... And maybe Pulsing Xenias or GSP for the 3rd floor shelf... If not, maybe zoas. lol

Im digging your tank! Looking forward to seeing more ;)

Thanks! I've finished with stocking it with livestock... Well overstocking it. Luckily my heavy filtration w/ skimmer and refugium is helping it. But there won't be anything new until about a month from now. I'll go heavy on corals.

Those are the variety of cloves I have only I've yet to see beautiful colors out of mine. They are just pink :huh:

I've seen the ones at Vivid...they are really pretty! You can get some when we go in April, or at least admire them ;)

Those are the variety of cloves I have only I've yet to see beautiful colors out of mine. They are just pink :huh:

I've seen the ones at Vivid...they are really pretty! You can get some when we go in April, or at least admire them ;)

Sounds like a solid plan! I went to Rainbow today and was tempted to buy some cheap cloves to see if the cloves would thrive in my tank. I also took a picture of the Snowflakes they had in their tank. I'm also tempted to trade in my pair for 1 Snowflake. I'll put the picture up of the Snowflakes in a bit.

I call BS on the grafting of the cloves. They just come in that color morph like a zoa comes in many color morphs. :)

I agree. It might be a joke that another worker told him, which he eventually interpreted to be true. I hope he sells them for cheaper. lol

Oh...I love those snowflakes!!! Are they $59.99? Too bad I have a moody clownfish that would kill another if I tried to introduce it.

Yeah. I think they're 59.99! I got my perc pair from them for $65. I saw Belle (female perc) do a little nibble at Val (helfrichi) today, and I'm starting to get worried for her safety that I'm thinking I should trade the pair for a different snowflake.

Here's some fun...

Day -30: This is what I did to my Nano Cube 1 month before I switched to saltwater. :P My poor attempt at a planted tank. Fish inhabitants were 4 Black Phantom Tetras and a Dwarf Candy Striped Pleco that lived in that little house during the day. Plants are Argentinian Swords, Amazon Swords, and Kyotos. I had this tank for a approximately of 2 months before I switched.

198158452324197240_Q1grgBHg.jpg

It looks pretty cool actually. I see a few things wrong (keep in mind I'm a FW planted noob). Sand isn't the greatest substrate. An air bubbler makes the Co2 leave the tank faster...or something like that :lol: You want to keep it in the tank as much as possible.

I love the looks of the bubblers in tanks but I haven't put one in because of the co2 issue.

Did the plants grow at all for you?

That's a cute little planted tank. Though I'm not sure if the grassy plants are fully aquatic. You have to be careful sometimes with plants sold at Petco and Petsmart, sometimes they sell plants that are not fully aquatic. They end up dying eventually.

Also nothing wrong with sand. I usually prefer it in freshwater tanks since it's pretty cheap.

Archived