inTank Media Baskets

Paleo's reef - A quick stop in the Red Sea

Paleoreef103

Paleoreef103

So. I just figured out that our upstairs shower has been dripping waste water into my tank. I was wondering why my zoas were taking a hit. . . . :furious:

• Like 1

So. I just figured out that our upstairs shower has been dripping waste water into my tank. I was wondering why my zoas were taking a hit. . . . :furious:

What are the odds, hope you can fix it soon.

• Like 1
Paleoreef103

What are the odds, hope you can fix it soon.

It's fixed now, but I think the leak was dumping about a quarter of a cup of water from the shower drain into the tank every time we took a shower. I'm honestly surprised that my corals didn't take a bigger hit. I did lose some of my favorite colonies and had a recession in several others in addition to a Cyano outbreak.

In better news, the tank is loving the new light (and the lack of soapy waste water being systematically dumped into the tank)! In particular my large orange crush Acan has gone from an orange brown to a really vibrant orange.

• Like 1

It's fixed now, but I think the leak was dumping about a quarter of a cup of water from the shower drain into the tank every time we took a shower. I'm honestly surprised that my corals didn't take a bigger hit. I did lose some of my favorite colonies and had a recession in several others in addition to a Cyano outbreak.

In better news, the tank is loving the new light (and the lack of soapy waste water being systematically dumped into the tank)! In particular my large orange crush Acan has gone from an orange brown to a really vibrant orange.

This is proof...

soapy waste water is not beneficial for corals :P

Glad all is in order again.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

A few more trials and tribulations with this tank. Previously, the shower had started leaking into the tank, this time the toilet did. I think I caught it quickly (a day or two), but I will never set up a fish tank underneath a freaking bathroom again. Bad news. I did pick up some dosing pumps which I will be setting up shortly. I'll upload some more pics within the week.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A few more trials and tribulations with this tank. Previously, the shower had started leaking into the tank, this time the toilet did. I think I caught it quickly (a day or two), but I will never set up a fish tank underneath a freaking bathroom again. Bad news. I did pick up some dosing pumps which I will be setting up shortly. I'll upload some more pics within the week.

Updates #2 :)

Paleoreef103

Updates #2 :)

Yeah. I know I've been slacking on updates. I've got a cyano problem that I just can't kick (haven't tried Chemi-clean yet however) that makes the sandbed pretty gross, but otherwise the tank is doing incredibly well. I stopped all dosing and treatments other than GFO, carbon, Mg, Calc, and Alk and this has really benefited the tank. I formerly used Acropower and vodka dosing on a daily basis, but honestly, I'm doing better by keeping it simple. A pair of BRS 1.1 mL dosers and a RW-8 to replace one of the two MP10s and the Tunze 6025 are probably the biggest changes to the tank and this has proved to be a huge improvement over my previous reefkeeping methodology.

I'll try to get some more pictures up, but unfortunately the corals that I'm happiest with at the moment (an Ice Fire echinata that nearly died and is now that beautiful blue and an oddly shaped Red Planet) are both in unfortunate locations for photographing.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Quite a few of us are fighting some cyano so don't be lonely, join the club!

I've been having cyano troubles as well. Maybe it's the warmer temps.

Paleoreef103

Peroxide ? 3 days lights out also good option. Updates now? Lol

I've tried a 3 day black out and it didn't work out. I'm taking some advice and trying some KZ coral snow and Zeobak as a treatment.

I've been having cyano troubles as well. Maybe it's the warmer temps.

Might be, but I've been deal with this for years and my temps are rock solid.

Now. Time what you you guys have came for. Tank pictures! Pictures taken under my actinic lighting.

rDWBHel.jpgDZFhozs.jpg485xGjB.jpgwkrbMvP.jpg

• Like 3
Paleoreef103

Tank looks awesome!

Have you used ChemiClean? Ive had 100% effectiveness (Long term as well) using it for Cyano.

I have some, but I've been putting it off as it can be a bit harsh.

HarryPotter

I have some, but I've been putting it off as it can be a bit harsh.

How so? Ive never heard of any side effects, have you?

Used it on a 125g FOWLER with 1" deep cyano (Siphoned first), my NanoCube 28, my RL-45, and a friends 40b. Zero side effects on my SPS, LPS, Clams, Softies, etc.

Only thing I've never tried it with would be NPS and Macros

Paleoreef103

How so? Ive never heard of any side effects, have you?

Used it on a 125g FOWLER with 1" deep cyano (Siphoned first), my NanoCube 28, my RL-45, and a friends 40b. Zero side effects on my SPS, LPS, Clams, Softies, etc.

Only thing I've never tried it with would be NPS and Macros

Eh. Some people have had trouble with it, some haven't. It's kind of struck me as a last ditch effort. With my SPS growing fine including an Ice Fire and a Cali Tort that are normally pretty finicky I haven't felt like I needed to chance it. Besides, the stuff I have is from 2012 (not sure of the shelf life) and I don't have a mixing station for the ~15 gallons of salt water I'd need to do the recommended 20% water change afterwards.

• 4 months later...

Holiday 2015 update. Tank is on auto-pilot. Everything is growing pretty well.
FTS

xeP8fHB.jpg

Right island
Ev3vJod.jpg

Micromussa garden (Acanthastrea lordhowensis is now Micromussa lordhowensis)

lywm5AG.jpgMontis are growing over each other.
vKUo9Bo.jpgMy favorite Acro
cr0KnMP.jpg

• Like 4

Tanks looking good- nice Monti batch

Thanks! I didn't snap a picture of it, but there is a third monti (a green cap) competing on that rock as well. I'm most pleased with the three dimensional growth of that Montipora spongodes, but I really wish it would grow a bit more slowly.

• Like 1

Thanks! I didn't snap a picture of it, but there is a third monti (a green cap) competing on that rock as well. I'm most pleased with the three dimensional growth of that Montipora spongodes, but I really wish it would grow a bit more slowly.

Nice! What acro is that in the last picture - great PE on it!

• Like 1

Nice! What acro is that in the last picture - great PE on it!

No-name LFS acro! When I originally got it, I thought it was an ORA wooly green. However, it currently has purple tips and a pearly base with that insane PE. Puts my red planet to shame on PE.

• Like 1

Holiday 2015 update. Tank is on auto-pilot. Everything is growing pretty well.

FTS

xeP8fHB.jpg

Right island

Ev3vJod.jpg

Micromussa garden (Acanthastrea lordhowensis is now Micromussa lordhowensis)

lywm5AG.jpgMontis are growing over each other.

vKUo9Bo.jpgMy favorite Acro

cr0KnMP.jpg

wow your PE is ridiculous...whats your secret?

wow your PE is ridiculous...whats your secret?

Good question. That acro is naturally incredibly fuzzy. The tank is run very simply. Automatic dosing, GFO reactor, passive carbon, big skimmer, 7.5 gallon refugium (that doesn't have a ton of chaeto in it). I think the big thing might be daily feeding, regular water changes, and no mechanical filtration beyond the skimmer. I don't have filter filter socks (which I should have done). I've tried carbon dosing, light bacterial dosing, biopellets, and amino acids and the tank just works best keeping it simple. I'm wondering if my tank being run a bit dirty gives me great PE and lesser colors.

Your tank and corals look amazing!

Thanks! I'm glad you like it.