Coral Vue Hydros

AquaStyleOnline Club

basicfisherman

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

would you recommend if for someone who's never soldered anything before?

i'll obv practice on some junk before starting in on the lights

would you recommend if for someone who's never soldered anything before?

i'll obv practice on some junk before starting in on the lights

I never soldered before and it wasnt too bad. It took a few solders to get the hang of it and then it went fast.

yeah it's not rocket science lol, just figuring out exactly what to do.

when you solder the wire to the pad, where exactly are you placing the tip of the soldering iron? at the base of the wire near the insulation?

yeah it's not rocket science lol, just figuring out exactly what to do.

when you solder the wire to the pad, where exactly are you placing the tip of the soldering iron? at the base of the wire near the insulation?

I started soldering when I was 12, anybody can do it with 5 minutes of trial and error. Tinning the pads helps and is worth the time imho.

thanks guys, i figured it out and practiced a bunch on an old pcb. did two joints last night that i think came out pretty decently. i didn't tin the pads cuz my soldering iron isn't the best and i was worried about heating them up too much and frying the bulb

jedimasterben

As long as you touch the LED itself too much it'll be fine. From my first excursion with soldering LEDs, some of mine have little burn marks in the plastic on the LED lens, they still work fine. They'd probably give off uneven lighting without optics, though.

yeah i don't plan on using optics cuz the light will be 1-3 inches from the surface.

i figured tinning just doubled my number of opportunities to completely #### up lol

WoodRiverTroutBum

I have read a ton about these on different sites and am about ready to order but I am torn between the 24 and 36 kits. I have a 25g cube that is 18x18x18". I don't plan on any SPS right now but that may change down the road so I want the option with the new light. Thanks guys.

icecool217
I have read a ton about these on different sites and am about ready to order but I am torn between the 24 and 36 kits. I have a 25g cube that is 18x18x18". I don't plan on any SPS right now but that may change down the road so I want the option with the new light. Thanks guys.

If you are going with SPS eventually, then you should get the 36 LED kit. As long as you have dimming function, you don't have to worry about having too much light.

WoodRiverTroutBum
If you are going with SPS eventually, then you should get the 36 LED kit. As long as you have dimming function, you don't have to worry about having too much light.

Thank you! I was a bit concerned because some pics I have seen of these lights as low as they go still looked crazy bright! It is virtually impossible to judge LEDs based on a picture. Going to try to track someone down that has them and is somewhat local. Thanks again.

Alex

jedimasterben
Thank you! I was a bit concerned because some pics I have seen of these lights as low as they go still looked crazy bright! It is virtually impossible to judge LEDs based on a picture. Going to try to track someone down that has them and is somewhat local. Thanks again.

Alex

That has some of these LEDs for sale locally? :huh:

WoodRiverTroutBum
That has some of these LEDs for sale locally? :huh:

Sorry for the confusion, someone that has them on their tank so I can see them in person.

Sorry for the confusion, someone that has them on their tank so I can see them in person.

I have a video of them hope this helps

WoodRiverTroutBum

Thank you! The color spectrum on your tank is perfect. Can't wait to get my kit now.

Thank you! The color spectrum on your tank is perfect. Can't wait to get my kit now.

hope you enjoy the lights I went from T5HO to T5HO/LEDs to all aquastyle LEDs and im happy

land_lubber

Very nice looking tank. What combination do you have?

I took the 60 degree lenes off mine to see what my tank would look like without them and even though the spread is huge the colours in my zoos really don't pop as much as they di with the lenes on. My 36 kit has been shipped so can't what to make my new fixture. Will let everyone know how it goes.

Very nice looking tank. What combination do you have?

I took the 60 degree lenes off mine to see what my tank would look like without them and even though the spread is huge the colours in my zoos really don't pop as much as they di with the lenes on. My 36 kit has been shipped so can't what to make my new fixture. Will let everyone know how it goes.

I run a combo of CW/NW/RB/DR/Cyan I run no optics and it looks more like T5HO to me

Trogdor447

20 LED's over the top of that would be sweet i think the 24 kit he sells.. put them on one heat sink elevate it up a little bit will be great! I've been pretty dormant here lately but I am getting more time to myself and coming around!

is there a burn in period i should do with these lights? is the color set right from the start or does it shift a bit in the first x number of hours?

tried searching but couldn't find anything

jedimasterben
is there a burn in period i should do with these lights? is the color set right from the start or does it shift a bit in the first x number of hours?

tried searching but couldn't find anything

No, those are metal halides you are thinking of.

hahaha, ok just making sure. got my string of whites wired up yesterday and the 4500k bulbs look pretty good. didn't see em over the tank but so far so good.

thanks for the help ben and everyone else :wizard:

Archived