inTank Media Baskets

XBOX 360 Pico-Reef (0.45 gallons)

SpencerShepard

but surely someone is going to feed it/add protein right? cuz its impossible to keep corals without some...even though they live on internal stores for a while the rule is that they are heterotrophs not autotrophs? this thing is getting more interesting by the minute! it still looks sharp man

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did notice the increased hydrodynamic profile of the lower zoathids. not that Im judging, mine stand taller but its a sign the tank cannot afford to skimp on fine particulate/dissolved nutrient. What will happen is a slow separation of the basal connections/mass of each zoanthid until they are solitary and not social like the specific name sociatus...thats a harbinger of slow decline Ive seen in my bowls many a time.

But if there is sufficient water borne chemical and particulate nutrients they can live a long time in that condition. my opinion is that in order to counterbalance some mild flow and lighting challenges with such an upright tank you will need to compensate with stronger feeding, we'll see at the year mark.

For a pico this size, the year mark is a 3 gallon nano keepers 2 year mark...a real test of time for a sub gallon reef.

There is no posted method on the entire internet on getting one out past 2 literal years without heavy feeding, not one. thats why this tank is groundbreaking in many ways. Dont take it down man! people always find a reason to take down the tiny tanks. I still like it, has potential you just have to refuse to quit.

B

Siwelk you did give me one idea though.

What if his store grew corals on different acrylic inserts to sell as full install runs for these tanks.

If you guys do that I don't want money just credit for the idea on each receipt genix really man seriously

:)

the real trick is who can grow the corals on the plate inside the pico...corals are very hard to keep at the same size in a micro tank, they like being in a positive mass/nitrogen state where either the colony or the polyp is always expanding. Keeping that suppressed, but not stopped is really hard in micro tanks.

• 3 months later...
SpencerShepard

After 2 canister filter failures, our Xbox tank is getting a sump and overflow system.

The new overflow box:

002.JPG

006.JPG

1/2" hole has been polished (although you certainly can't tell from this picture), and will the hose will seal by compression. No bulkhead.

More to come.

• 1 month later...
SpencerShepard
What is total water volume

Extremely clean install man, excellent

There's 5 gallons in the sump, so that makes a total water volume of 5.5 gallons. :)

Its real clean and sharp if I had to route and fab all those lines and fittings id have a leaky joint and some salt creep somewhere its real nice you ought to find a way to update your advanced aquarist online magazine spot with the update pics it was really popular there too

coral choice is very good now that i think about it more. but what happened to the porcelain crab? and are those two shrimp new additions, or were they there from the start?

holy protein skimmers lol.

KeyboardWarrior

Wow this tank is stunning what a rainbow of colours and of course a really cool design I bet it takes real commitment and skill to maintain it I'll be interested how it copes over the long run

SpencerShepard

After it was running for a couple weeks I removed the inverts. I was having a lot of difficulty keeping the pH up because of poor gas exchange. With the new sump, those problems are gone.

• 1 month later...

Archived