Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

XBOX 360 Pico-Reef (0.45 gallons)

SpencerShepard

really it is a great design I just went through all the pics on the site. Please link me to the video I didn't see it. you sure have the right balance of led actinic the corals are really bright. Still want to know about the topoff, if its daily etc and how much.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I post requests for dialog at each place he sends this tank. eventually maybe we will get more than a one sentence response linking his site. We are on your trail genix, just want to talk some details with ya thats all. We are fad busters, you have potential with this gem but its fading. see the comments on rb above

There is a video so I am thinking it must be legit. If not, it is still pretty nice looking. I'm impressed.

If you look closely at the video - all the full "tank" shots are stills, only the close-ups, where you cant see the X-box, show motion - swaying corals, etc.....very suspicious IMO.

hes only building skeptics from not conversing enough about his awesome design. I believe its real but we want to see how he plans for long term etc

these communities are harsh all we do is type on here all day lol we still love you genix. but speak up man~!

haha, yes we are not trying to be offensive, we just want to see this idea succeed.

Looks like there is a porcelain crab in there along with a small anemone shrimp. there is also one snail of some sort - maybe a nerite or something similar...

any other livestock in there? didn't see any fish..

Also the total water volume, is it close to 1 gallon with the canister filter?

SpencerShepard

Lol! I will do my best to answer your questions but please understand that I don't have the time I would like to participate in discussion these days. I do appreciate the interest though!!

Evaporation...not exactly sure on the volume, but water level in the tank drops about 1/2" daily. The tank is not sealed. I had a very small yellow clown goby in this tank, but I removed him after a few days. mikeguerrero makes valid points about gas exchange and pH fluctuations and this was part of the reason I decided to remove him. I have not been monitoring pH but it would be interesting to see what it gets down to the night before the water change. I might hook up an Apex controller and graph the pH over a week.

Filtration is an Eheim Ecco Easy 60. Their stats say the canister volume is 1.4 gallons (not accounting for displacement). I chose this model because of the very low power consumption (5 watts). I didn't want to have issues with heat from the motor.

Hope that clears up some questions. There's really not much more to it!

I believe without a fish it has great potential. What Im interested to track over time is how those rics and zo's hold their position and hydrodynamic profile (how far they stick up from the substrate which is the rear wall)

will they trumpet out or stay compact (which LED's accomplish nicely in other threads)

thanks for stopping back in, your tank will certainly accumulate a hundred thousand views in no time across the web. hope you will keep it running and refresh pictures from time to time keeping the same corals in the tank to chart how they do.

also if you ever have a chance to post a pic of a regular shot in full lighting showing the room backround and normal coloration of the tank that is nice

not that the one on page1 isn't a star, its shockingly awesome, but the average daily shot is what I like best.

B

Phenomenal...except im a PS3 guy.... lol but really AMAZING job, love the creativity... I think microsoft owes some royalties for free advertisement lol

get video if you are on a smartphone it could be here fast! I think the key to this thread should be promptness in follow up and update posting of pics. glad to know someone has seen it Im suprised you didnt snap pics the first visit

I think we agree its real people were just wanting to see actual vid/pics of it on a desk without the blackout editing around the edges, full video of not just a closeup of the crab but the whole tank from a walk around angle. we are also hoping the tank will be updated at one year and not taken down/changed up for some reason. longevity is the real deal not just fancy editing. if he gets it out to a year I say give him tank of the year. by then he'll have a bazillion views thats for sure!

I marked the thread for recall in a year, time will tell.

also it wasn't jealousy it was the fact the tank was posted and then not discussed by the keeper for three pages that started the initial skepticism. we will settle for an update once every three pages its better than none genix lol

surgicalsense
I just finished my build

i soaked the phone in my other tank for a month and bam!

iphone-me.jpg

all kidding aside... the xbox pico is beyond epic!

:lol: ... that's right

Should have used the iPhone 4S, you would have had more space! "Siri, can I turn my iPhone into a reef tank?"

All joking aside, it will be interesting to see this tank long term! This one will give the show "Tanked" a run for their money lol.

But, most of the corals are fabricated :huh: ... Which I suppose is fine for the establishments that can not keep the live corals thriving.

Freeze thats excellent fabrication/build. I was looking to see if there's condensation on the upper lid portion out of curiosity \ thats a great pic man. It really shows me the build design, its just easier to see in that kind of a pic. thanks man

It's really pretty, but it's too small for me. I just like being able to add lot's of stuff! :D

Cool to see this again months from now. Keep us posted.

L

Impressive regardless of how successful long term it is..... thats part of the hobby right?! Trying new and crazy ideas and occasionally it works out pretty dang good!

• 1 month later...
SpencerShepard

At about the 2 month mark now. The tank has been sold, but is currently on display at our store. When I moved it I removed all livestock but the corals. No food goes into the tank anymore, and it still gets a water change once a week. A few of the rics have detached, but the remaining ones are happy. The pink zoas near the bottom have thinned out where they were not getting enough light.

012.JPG

013.JPG

Archived