Top Shelf Aquatics

XBOX 360 Pico-Reef (0.45 gallons)

SpencerShepard

SpencerShepard

Hopefully this will answer some of your questions: Xbox Aquarium

The tank was just put together this week. I've had the coral background in another aquarium for several weeks as well as running the canister filter on that same system. My maintenance schedule is detailed in the write up on our site. As far as cords it's just the 3 you see in the picture. The Xbox power cord powers the lighting, and the black cables are actually hoses for the filtration.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

even just considering the tank itself (minus the xbox shell) this thing definitely deserves at least a TOTM nomination

look at that second picture :o

I just finished my build

i soaked the phone in my other tank for a month and bam!

iphone-me.jpg

all kidding aside... the xbox pico is beyond epic!

Im still wanting salinity control details. will go check the reefcentral thread to see if its been updated. there are no fish that are appropriate for a sub gallon tank, not any. not even a trimma.

I just finished my build

i soaked the phone in my other tank for a month and bam!

iphone-me.jpg

all kidding aside... the xbox pico is beyond epic!

Should have used the iPhone 4S, you would have had more space! "Siri, can I turn my iPhone into a reef tank?"

All joking aside, it will be interesting to see this tank long term! This one will give the show "Tanked" a run for their money lol.

I think no one splashes their tanks across the web in a seemingly trollish format more than I lol. the key difference is I stay around in each of the 100 threads to type on them. We love your tank man, for the love of pete come back to answer questions and stay for at least 30 mins thats a fair request on totm material.

Thrassian Atoll

He has had it running for a week, how is that TOTM? I thought it had to be a year minimum?

Hopefully he has pics of putting the tank together, I would like to see it without the xbox shell.

Should have used the iPhone 4S, you would have had more space! "Siri, can I turn my iPhone into a reef tank?"

All joking aside, it will be interesting to see this tank long term! This one will give the show "Tanked" a run for their money lol.

At least an iPhone 4...

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

I am now keeping up with this skeptical thread, on whether to believe it or not.... I specialize in keeping pico size tanks and our smallest is 1.6 gallons, the user is showing .45 gallon in capacity of display, and how much did he say using the Eheim canister?

That being said, when you run any pico of that size, and you seal it as he has shown, your oxygen to surface breathing is greatly affected, thus dropping the PH like a mad man.

Corals/polyps are going to suffer given time with the acidity drop.

Even if there is a small fan in there as intake/outake, then he runs into evaporation issues.

Something is not adding up, but I may be wrong... Have to wait and see, as the colors on the yumas and rics are just beyond belief...

its age gives meaning to how healthy it looks. its going to be difficult to keep it in this shape, no doubt. we know than no body short of being an experienced reefer is attempting this (otherwise it would have already failed) so this setup does show promise. and of course yes, i believe this is real haha. it is essentially what georeef described. reef-art nonetheless, and successful reef-art if this can survive a year or more.

There is a video so I am thinking it must be legit. If not, it is still pretty nice looking. I'm impressed.

A 0.45 gallon display would still be feasible with a large enough water volume in the filter, but since he said that a 60% water change is done by disconnecting the filter and filling it with fresh saltwater, I'd say we are looking at a very small filter. Total volume around 0.75 gallon?

Also, those must be some high end RGBs to have such a nice intense colour.

Archived