Cultivated Reef

ThatDude's 29g Biocube Build

ThatDude

Like the scape. Love the acan as well.

Thanks. I've been using some phytoplex in the tank and the centers of the Acan are actually starting to get a nice hint of green on them. Its pretty cool

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...

Greetings All,

It has been a while since I last updated this thread. I finally got my last Panorama Pro module and am now currently full LED! I lost the Blue Mandarin :mellow: and a sixline wrasse. The wrasse was given a full refund by my LFS and I now have a YWG and it is awesome!

FTS 6/3/12

9sxnbm.jpg

Acan Garden

24m5mxh.jpg

Watchman/Zoas and Palys

k1z5lg.jpg

What percent are you running your LEDs? Have you noticed and color changes with your acans? My red ones started turning orange and one list it's color completely. I dimmed it back down and out them in the shade. I have three pros also. Two blue/white and one blue magenta in my bc29. Thanks

What percent are you running your LEDs? Have you noticed and color changes with your acans? My red ones started turning orange and one list it's color completely. I dimmed it back down and out them in the shade. I have three pros also. Two blue/white and one blue magenta in my bc29. Thanks

Currently the blue and blue/magenta are at 100% and the 12k/blue is less than 50 for now(just added it to the tank). When I put my first acan in it was a reddish orange color and now it is starting to get hints of neon green and yellow which is cool to see. I had a 10k pc bulb in there with the other two pros until I removed it and added the 12k/blue

How long have you had your acans? I was running them at 100% but after they started losing color I dimmed them down a little. I thought pros were a little on the weak side for LEDs. Thats why I was running them at 100%. Will have to wait and see if their color comes back. The tentacles fully extend every night and they eat well. Thanks.

How long have you had your acans? I was running them at 100% but after they started losing color I dimmed them down a little. I thought pros were a little on the weak side for LEDs. Thats why I was running them at 100%. Will have to wait and see if their color comes back. The tentacles fully extend every night and they eat well. Thanks.

The one that started to change color has been in there for prob around a year and the others less than 6 months. I think the 12k really puts out a fair amount of light at 100%.

Were your acans towards the bottom? I've noticed that my montis have lightened up but I can't say if they are bleaching because they continue to grow

They are on the sandbed. I put them under a ledge and under the frag rack to get them out of the light. I also read somewhere about a guy collecting acans. He found a red colony on a ledge and the heads that were underneath away from the light were really nice rainbow colors. Maybe they don't need so much light.

They are on the sandbed. I put them under a ledge and under the frag rack to get them out of the light. I also read somewhere about a guy collecting acans. He found a red colony on a ledge and the heads that were underneath away from the light were really nice rainbow colors. Maybe they don't need so much light.

Possibly. That would be awesome to see!

I thought I would share with others what I have done to help keep my tank temp between 77-78 with 90+ temp outside.

1. Upgraded the hood fans. The stock fans get louder over time and don't move a fair amount of air.

2. Removed the metal reflector vents from inside the hood to free up more air movement

3. Replaced stock pump with MJ1200. (not too sure how much of an impact this had on temp since they run at about the same amount of power, but it does move more water over the stock pump)

4. Did away with the power compacts and installed 3 Panorama Pros

5. Cut a section out of the front feeding lid and installed a black mesh cover (I got it from a hobby store in the sewing section for about $1.00)

1twlde.jpg

6. I took one of the old fans and hooked it to an old camera charger. After that I cut a hole in the back of the hood and mounted the fan so it blows fresh air into the hood and out the mesh cover. I don't have the fan on a timer and the fan runs all day. Eventually I might upgrade to a Silenx but it is doing its job for now.

hvp3zp.jpg

Their are tons of other ways to lower the temp in a tank but this is what I've done and its been working fairly well. If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask!

How did you eliminate the elbow

with some clear tubing from the LFS. I can't remember what the measurement was but I used a zip-tie to secure the tubing on the pump outlet

Is it worth the hassle

I think so. The hardest part was finding the right tubing to fit. The biggest hassle was doing all of this after the tank was running for a few months and not just doing the mod when I first set the tank up (less mess and more room to work). I had a locline y-splitter and the hydor flo on one end for a while and it really restricted the flow. now that I removed those the 1200 REALLY moves water through the display and filter now.

5. Cut a section out of the front feeding lid and installed a black mesh cover (I got it from a hobby store in the sewing section for about $1.00)

1twlde.jpg

I love this mod!! What a neat idea.

I love this mod!! What a neat idea.

Thanks! I probably could've spent more time cleaning the edges up but it works!

Looks like you have a little difficulty in leaving anything stock. I can appreciate that. B)

How do you like your Panorama Pros? I'm trying to decide what to build next since my current tank is ready to be grown out, and I'm trying to decide on how custom I want to do the lighting.

Looks like you have a little difficulty in leaving anything stock. I can appreciate that. B)

How do you like your Panorama Pros? I'm trying to decide what to build next since my current tank is ready to be grown out, and I'm trying to decide on how custom I want to do the lighting.

I like them so far. If I had the time I would of probably went with a DIY, but as far as plug and play I'm pretty satisfied with them.

Archived