Cultivated Reef

What's the story behind the "black hornet" zoanthids?

SWAG

I was talking with an LFS owner and he claims to have a small colony of these black hornets that he says can go for around $350 per polyp.

Why are they do expensive?

it's just hype. It's only for the people that actually care about the name of the zoa's they have. I have some "flying turd burgers" if your interested though, only found in my own aquarium. 5$ per polyp. ;)

Names = exponentially increasing price for no reason really.

The only purpose they serve is to identify a certain color morph, and loosely at that. There are a million "hornet" morphs out there. The only "true" hornets are red, blue, and purple hornets AFAIK anyway.

it has nothing to do with names or people who care about names...it has to do with the look of the zoanthids. Alternating tentacles, with all the other things at the right place.

They could be called "chain saw masacre" and they would still go for that much.

Noboday would be interested in your flying burger probably, what ever name you can give them, if they are ugly.

I paid 50$ per polyp for my purple hornet and I have tried to find some more since then but can only find poor immination. They either have the ring but no color in the tentacles, or they do have color in the tentacles but not the alternating color as the true hornets..

I could not care less about what ever name they have or even if they have a name..noboday care about names!

it's just hype. It's only for the people that actually care about the name of the zoa's they have. I have some "flying turd burgers" if your interested though, only found in my own aquarium. 5$ per polyp. ;)

Thats why I love my lfs, theres a square at the bottom of the frag tank, ZOAS, 50 cents pp, Ive gotten True Repeople eaters, darthmauls and eagle eyes out of that bin.

I dont really care about the names, but I looked them up just to see what they were...as long as they look nice, who cares.

HecticDialectics

here we go

Black_Hornets.jpg

Yeah, I'm willing to bet $350 that the black hornet zoa is 100 times cooler than whatever piece of #### zoa you think you're going to sell me for $5/polyp out of your tank, Trick.

ThePhilosopher

I'd pay $350 for Black Hornet Zoas if I had that kind of money.

Now, to all the trash-talkers, can you please find us an affordable imitation if you consider these zoas to be so unjustly priced?

With the hobby of breeding animals since I was a little kid (leopard geckos, chameleons, bearded dragons, etc.) I learned early that investing in a highly sought-after morph early in the game can be a huge payoff. You just don't want to be the LAST guy to buy to buy a $350 specimen especially if reproduction is easy enough for just about anyone to do. All it would take is someone with a 90 gallon tank and some time on their hands to completely crash the [insert zoa name here] market. ...Come to think of it... Hmmm...

• Like 1
it has nothing to do with names or people who care about names...it has to do with the look of the zoanthids. Alternating tentacles, with all the other things at the right place.

They could be called "chain saw masacre" and they would still go for that much.

Noboday would be interested in your flying burger probably, what ever name you can give them, if they are ugly.

I paid 50$ per polyp for my purple hornet and I have tried to find some more since then but can only find poor immination. They either have the ring but no color in the tentacles, or they do have color in the tentacles but not the alternating color as the true hornets..

I could not care less about what ever name they have or even if they have a name..noboday care about names!

lololol I bought some for $7.50/pp true PH, ring and alternating skirt

HecticDialectics
lololol I bought some for $7.50/pp true PH, ring and alternating skirt

oh my god! lmfao! you actually paid for a PH? I got some for free from a dude down the street!! lololol! :lol: oh man!

I'd pay $350 for Black Hornet Zoas if I had that kind of money.

Now, to all the trash-talkers, can you please find us an affordable imitation if you consider these zoas to be so unjustly priced?

If people want to spend that kind of money, that's there business but to me, that's a car payment and I'd rather drive then look at a single black and yellow polyp. That's my point of view anyways. I am sure others will disagree. And by quoting you I am not pointing you out or attempting to start an argument.

oh my god! lmfao! you actually paid for a PH? I got some for free from a dude down the street!! lololol! :lol: oh man!

:butthurt: <_<

Edited by iDream
If people want to spend that kind of money, that's there business but to me, that's a car payment and I'd rather drive then look at a single black and yellow polyp. That's my point of view anyways. I am sure others will disagree. And by quoting you I am not pointing you out or attempting to start an argument.

+1

With the hobby of breeding animals since I was a little kid (leopard geckos, chameleons, bearded dragons, etc.) I learned early that investing in a highly sought-after morph early in the game can be a huge payoff. You just don't want to be the LAST guy to buy to buy a $350 specimen especially if reproduction is easy enough for just about anyone to do. All it would take is someone with a 90 gallon tank and some time on their hands to completely crash the [insert zoa name here] market. ...Come to think of it... Hmmm...

UH OH!