Cultivated Reef

Tank will be taken down: The mushroom garden/soft coral garden

kel73

I like this tank. I see absolutely nothing wrong with a predominantly mushroom tank. I wish more people would focus on a few species rather than keep everything but the kitchen sink in one tank. My 8g is practically all zoas and yumas and I'm very happy. What I tend to do with my mushrooms though are place them in the bottom levels of the tank and if they are higher up, angle them away from the light. I've got a MH.

See how the yuma is angled in this picture?

My orange yuma is angled but its still high up. I hope it does okay. I really like your tank. Im a fan of mushroom and zoa dominated tanks

They didn't have the neutral white when I got mine a year ago, so I went w. 4 rb/1 cw. I'm about to try out the 2-rb 1-b 1-nw 1-cw. I believe the neutral white adds spectra that may enhance reds and pinks better. Plus I'm interested to compare slightly less blue to what I have.

I went back and forth between the 4rb, 1b, 1nw, 1cw bulb and the bulb I have. Ill be interested to see how you like it.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My orange yuma is angled but its still high up. I hope it does okay. I really like your tank. Im a fan of mushroom and zoa dominated tanks

Nothing wrong with keeping softies. :) As long as the reef is colorful and purty, I'm satisfied.

• 2 weeks later...

the biggest ones are either a different species, or just much older, adult ampipods, and the smaller ones are just younger ones.

I think we have a large amphipod in one of our tanks ... have seen a very fast, ridged beast of some kind scurry in and out of holes a few times. Never got a proper look, but I am guessing that's what it is.

I think we have a large amphipod in one of our tanks ... have seen a very fast, ridged beast of some kind scurry in and out of holes a few times. Never got a proper look, but I am guessing that's what it is.

lol, they are beasts. Does it have a white line on its back? Does anyone know if gorilla crabs eat amphipods? I would like to know because I feed the crabs shrimp pellets and if they do eat the pods I wont feed them as much.

they probably couldn't catch them if they tried...keep feeding the crabs or they might turn on your coral.

darn. I will keep feeding them. Do you have any recommendations for pellet food? I would like to get a different brand. The ones I have dissolve really quickly...maybe they all do that?

I really like the simplicity and colors of the tank. I find shrooms can be quite beautiful and just come in a crazy amount of colors and patterns. Keep up the great work! :D

There are a variety of sinking marine foods that will work fine. Just search for 'sinking angel pellets' and you'll be all set.

Also, doing iodine supplimentation causes shrooms to really take off.

Nice, thanks for the tip because I would have never even thought of dosing for shrooms.

I really like the simplicity and colors of the tank. I find shrooms can be quite beautiful and just come in a crazy amount of colors and patterns. Keep up the great work! :D

Thank you, I like all the patterns and colors as well. I'm always looking for a color I dont have but I think I am going to stay away from ricordias from now on. They intimidate me, lol.

How do you attach the shrooms to your rock? Do you glue them directly?

Beautiful tank, I love it! :bowdown:

Thank you! I hope I can keep it progressing well. I use a small chisel and a hammer and chip away at the rock the mushroom comes on till a very small piece is left, basically just whatthe mushroom is touching, then I glue that to the rock. The ricordeas did not like that and both became unattached but everything else didnt mind the rough treatment out of water.

Over christmass I plan on doing a switch between my planted 7.9g fluval and my 2g mushroom garden. So I'll have a 2 gallon planted freshwater pico and a 7.9g nano reef in a month.

Here is the 7.9g planted today

011.JPG

Hope it all works out.

planted's a bit overgrown haha. i really like how the mushroom tank is starting to improve. are you confident in the move? i guess more room is better always.

planted's a bit overgrown haha. i really like how the mushroom tank is starting to improve. are you confident in the move? i guess more room is better always.

Its a jungle! I also bought those plants in front as foreground plants, they infact are not, lol.

I am not confident, but I really want the extra room. I got into this hobby when I was 18...8 years ago.. and I had never tried a pico until now. I am glad I did it but I just want more room., and a protein skimmer.

wow looking awesome (wo)man

Thanks! I am just letting it do its thing

Also Newman, do you think the par30 boostled bulb will be enough light for the 8 gallon?

Again love this mushroom tank. Looking forward to the upgrade, though as a planted person, those plants'll be squished in that 2g. :lol:

Why do you want a skimmer? Just curious.

Again love this mushroom tank. Looking forward to the upgrade, though as a planted person, those plants'll be squished in that 2g. :lol:

Why do you want a skimmer? Just curious.

Ill only keep a few of the plants, but I will be sure to post a picture of how it looks in the 2 gallon for you.

I want a skimmer because they make me feel comfortable, lol. I know they are considered unnecessary for some but I tend to be a heavy feeder, I just cant help it. All I have now are gorilla crabs and I just want to feed them all the time. What do you think about skimmers?

love your tank.. never thought a mushroom tank could look this good :happy:

Thank you! Im hoping its going to get better in the bigger tank. I still will keep only to soft corals, just more room and more of them. Hopefully some mini carpets too.

Ill only keep a few of the plants, but I will be sure to post a picture of how it looks in the 2 gallon for you.

I want a skimmer because they make me feel comfortable, lol. I know they are considered unnecessary for some but I tend to be a heavy feeder, I just cant help it. All I have now are gorilla crabs and I just want to feed them all the time. What do you think about skimmers?

You're asking me? Well, I've got a Hydor slim skim nano unopened in my house. I haven't felt the need to use one yet. Other than the sun corals, I don't keep anything that's a challenge. And the tank that's large enough to benefit from a skimmer is a planted marine, so there is nutrient export. I really don't know. I feed my sun corals everyday with frozen mysis and cyclops ease, so I'm a heavy feeder too. I really need to get my crap in gear and get some water stats. I'm really only testing sg consistently. Nothing is dead or dying and the animals are doing very well.

When I feel better, I'll get some water quality stats on my picos and get back to you. Who knows? I may be totally wrong and things aren't right with my systems and I don't know.

Archived