Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Tank will be taken down: The mushroom garden/soft coral garden

kel73

since you ar ea pro can you please hlep me to get my ricordea mushroom to split? 3 months and nothing has happened to it.

I'm sorry, none of my mushrooms have split. Good luck with yours though. They should start to multiply eventually, at least that's what I am hoping for!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hows the light on this tank, not too intense? and the flow slow enough for these guys? it doesn't look like any of them are expanding yet...except for maybe the blue one in the back left. he looks to be doing the best.

hows the light on this tank, not too intense? and the flow slow enough for these guys? it doesn't look like any of them are expanding yet...except for maybe the blue one in the back left. he looks to be doing the best.

the lighting is low to medium as well as the flow. I just did a huge water change before i took the picture and the two ricordea's in the front I just got yesterday. I am hoping they get happy. I also really irritated them because I had to hack away at the rock they came on( to make it smaller not take them completely off) in order for them to be glued on my rock. Ill take some pictures in a week when they've settled and ask if they are inflated because I am not sure I will know the difference. Thanks for the interest :)

o ok, it all sounds very new and i wouldn't expect them to be at home just yet. the setup you described sounds perfect for them.

That pink ricordea coral is stunning!

Thank you Its actually bright orange in person I like it cause it stands out so much.

o ok, it all sounds very new and i wouldn't expect them to be at home just yet. the setup you described sounds perfect for them.

Oh good! I have never had ricordeas before

I need some advice. I got three mushrooms on Saturday 11/5 and i made them very angry by downsizing the rocks they were attached on. They all got a little damaged and had all this mucus coming off of them and it seemed like everything in my tank got irritated. I did a large water change the next day about 100% and everything still looks angry and shriveled. When I changed the water the temp droped to 72 degrees from 78. (oops) :( .

Today my hitchiker zoanthids are grey now when they were brown and their little frillies on the edges are wilted but they are open. I found 3 dwarf ceriths with their mantles hanging out upside down but alive. I flipped them over and its like they are drunk. My other mushrooms look small and my star polyps look a little flacid but they are open. My brown palys look normal but slightly smaller.

Is this the start of a tank crash?

also I have only been using petco sea water and I got a new batch on saturday.

My salinity is 1.025 tested with a refractometer

and i I havent tested since the initial cycle and I have been doing frequent water changes since then.

I only feed a pellet to a gorilla crab and a tiny peice of clam to the mantis every once in a while. The mantis has been eating the snails otherwise. Also the mantis has been sealed in his cage for 4 days but I did see him after the large water change on sunday but he sealed himself back up.

The only other thing different is I added a ball of chaeto i got from the LFS.

Can someone offer any advice? Was it the temp shift, the mushroom slime and what would make my zoanthids look grey?? This pico scares me :(

Id double check your salinity somehow--maybe take a sample to your LFS. sounds like it could be out of wack. While youre there you could also get your other levels tested. your temp is okay now right? is anything still sliming, etc that would piss off other inhabitants?

if anything dies Id be sure to remove it right away so it doesnt cause an ammonia spike

Im not sure if it would be best to do an other WC or let it ride out for stability--that's a hard one

Best of luck to you--that would be terrible to lose your tank :( sorry I couldnt be more of a help!

Thank you for your help. The temp has been stable, no mushroom slime now. I debated as well about doing more water changes with salt water that I mix instead of the petco water in case it was somehow contaminated. I am just going to let it be and see what happens. I am from now on only using saltwater that I mix, though.

It was prob the rapid temp decrease and the mushroom slime prob didnt help.

I'll stop freaking out. thank you again!

give it time. some of the worst decisions we make about picos are because we see an unpleasant reaction one day or in the short term and base our course of action on that. sometimes reefs take a while to get back on track, but they will be healthy again.

give it time. some of the worst decisions we make about picos are because we see an unpleasant reaction one day or in the short term and base our course of action on that. sometimes reefs take a while to get back on track, but they will be healthy again.

I will definitely do that, thank you

• 3 weeks later...

A few changes have happened. One of my ricordias moved behind the big purple mushroom and another one I ripped in half on accident, but both halves are healing nicely.

My kaleidoscopic cloves have just vanished and I think they may have been eaten because they were gone in one night and I do have about 5 gorilla crabs.

Lastly, mantis shrimp is gone.

what color combo bulb is that

Its the 2 royal blue, 2 cool white, and 1 neutral white bulb

My ric never adjusted when I switch to a Boostled PAR 30. Maybe I just couldn't find the right spot for it.

Very nice tank. Think you did right on your PAR colors, including the neutral white.

My ric never adjusted when I switch to a Boostled PAR 30. Maybe I just couldn't find the right spot for it.

Very nice tank. Think you did right on your PAR colors, including the neutral white.

yeah, I'm curious to see if they will do okay. I debated about what combo to get with the bulb. I dont really know what the different colors mean, I just knew I didnt want it too blue. So I'm glad you think its a good combo because I wasnt so sure :)

I like this tank. I see absolutely nothing wrong with a predominantly mushroom tank. I wish more people would focus on a few species rather than keep everything but the kitchen sink in one tank. My 8g is practically all zoas and yumas and I'm very happy. What I tend to do with my mushrooms though are place them in the bottom levels of the tank and if they are higher up, angle them away from the light. I've got a MH.

See how the yuma is angled in this picture?

8e0b0cd3.jpg

I'm looking forward to following this tank. :)

L

yeah, I'm curious to see if they will do okay. I debated about what combo to get with the bulb. I dont really know what the different colors mean, I just knew I didnt want it too blue. So I'm glad you think its a good combo because I wasnt so sure :)

They didn't have the neutral white when I got mine a year ago, so I went w. 4 rb/1 cw. I'm about to try out the 2-rb 1-b 1-nw 1-cw. I believe the neutral white adds spectra that may enhance reds and pinks better. Plus I'm interested to compare slightly less blue to what I have.

I wish more people would focus on a few species rather than keep everything but the kitchen sink in one tank. My 8g is practically all zoas and yumas and I'm very happy.

Hear, hear! I'm kinda focusing in on octocorals/zoas & palys. Would rather understand a few corals in depth and really master their husbandry than be spread super-thin.

Just as soon as I can get out from behind this @#@@@$$!! firewall, am gonna look at your tank!

Archived