ReefCleaners.org

Flexin5's 10 gallon Tank

Flexin5

Jacob042426
one more thing, i'm getting my hands on a 20 long tank :) i diden't want another used tank but my friend who sells frags is upgrading his quarntine tank, so he has no use for the 20long and is going to sell it to me for $25..lol so i think i'm going to pick it up, and take my time with it painting the back black, drilling it, etc etc.

noo!!!! dont use a quarentine tank!all kinds of chemicals are in it and cannot be removed unless you redo the silicone! that wil be a mistake!!! the tank looks really nice though!

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's looking really nice :) Your corals look amazing. Are you planning on doing a sump and skimmer on the 20L?

i sure am! i just need to convince the wife that i need a new stand, which is hard because the current stand i'm using i don't have a place for it. if not i'll have to wait until we move to the new house and probably use it as a sump but i'm not sure if i want to use a 20 long for a sump.

noo!!!! dont use a quarentine tank!all kinds of chemicals are in it and cannot be removed unless you redo the silicone! that wil be a mistake!!! the tank looks really nice though!

oh right i should clairify, it was more of a holding tank for colonies before they were fragged. he has another tank that he quarentines his fish etc in, he doesn't put anything suspect in the 20 long in fear of loosing a colony and then infecting his big frag tanks.

Haha gotcha. Sounds like a good plan! I can't wait to move and have space for a bigger tank.

oh i hear that. but see i'm going to turn the un-finished basement into the ultimate man cave, so i'm thinking that the 20 long will be wayyy too small. i'll probably end up wanting to get like a big ass 120gal or something lol

ohhhh! ok, that sounds better. :lol:

haha for sure, thanks for the heads up tho...but i do have my heart set on a rimless tank...and de-rimming a tank sounds kinda sketchy. :huh:

I want a woman cave for fish stuff but I don't think my boyfriend would go for that :( Ultimate dream when I have a house of my own would be to plumb the tank through the wall and have all the stuff back there so that it looks super clean. I've seen it done a few times and it looks great.

If I had unlimited money I would do one of those fancy automated water change set ups too, cuz I don't like water changes :)

Do the 120 so I can live vicariously through you haha

I want a woman cave for fish stuff but I don't think my boyfriend would go for that :( Ultimate dream when I have a house of my own would be to plumb the tank through the wall and have all the stuff back there so that it looks super clean. I've seen it done a few times and it looks great.

If I had unlimited money I would do one of those fancy automated water change set ups too, cuz I don't like water changes :)

Do the 120 so I can live vicariously through you haha

get outta my head! hahaha jk.

the deal with my wife is that i get the basement and the garage, and she can have the rest of the house..LOL

i've been planning out how i want to do the new tank, the house should be completed in about 1.5yrs from now, i don't even think they broke ground yet. but basically, i want to have the tank not in the middle of the room but by itself, so that it can be viewed from all around it. then drill it, everything nice and hidden, and then run the pvc piping through the floor, and into another room.

i was thinking that since i'm finishing the basement myself, when i do the flooring, i'm going to leave two or three lenghts of the hardwood floor out, notch out the subfloor, and run the pvc piping down it. shave down the hardwood that would go over the pvc so that i can cover it and have it removable incase of anything, and put it back without the floor looking different.

my friend also just broke down his custom 125gal...great looking tank, not the ideal dimentions i wanted but it's $400 including sump and skimmer. i can't decide to buy it now and just hold onto it for the house, or wait and get a tank custom made to the dimentions that i want.

new%20reef%20pics%20014.JPG

at the same time i'm thinking why not just keep the sump in the stand..lol

+1 to what Joel said. What are your dream dimensions?

that's why i diden't buy it yet...i know i would be hung up over the dimentions and regret it.my dream tank i would probably have to measure it out for the room/area, but something long, shallow and wide (inb4 that's what she said!) LOL

lol well nothing crazy, but alot. sorry for the crappy pics, had an exhausting day at work and i'm ready to crash. don't mind the dirty tank, i have to pull all the new sps off of the plugs, and figure out how to take off the encrusting montipora and fix it to part of the rock work. lots of tank-keeping to do this weekend...haha

got some blue/green zoa's

KY0C0418.jpg

KY0C0427.jpg

^what's there? a blue mili, tri color acro, aqua velvet, blue acro w/yellow tips, red convexa, a green acro and a small blue hermit trying to hump a red one

and a purple haze monti that's not hazing yet..lol

KY0C0429.jpg

i also picked up a nice colony of rainbow montipora finally! i left that at my friends place, we are going to split it so when he frags it i'll grab my half. :D

^thanks man.

so an update, did some cleaning up. mounted all the new sps frags and the zoa frag. i picked up a purple flordia ric. and a frag of orange/pink zoas. for the first time, i took all the florida ric's off of their frag plugs, and mounted them to a small rock. i did loose one, i have 4, but one i had to slice off of the plug, and then i saw it float into the torch coral. i guess the super glue diden't stick because it was sliming alot.

so i guess there were three..lol

7104929481_666b197619_z.jpg

the new blue/green zoas and the orange/pink ones i picked up today

6958862472_899f834b9f_z.jpg

and how everything is looking.

6958863968_eb5d540b9d_z.jpg

also picked up the 20long today. it's going to be a frag tank. unfortunally i don't have the room in the condo, so i'm going to set it up at my mom's house 5mins away. i'm there everyday to either drop the kid off or drop by on my break for work so i can keep an eye on it then. only for now until the new house is finished.

7104933391_75e744c8df_z.jpg

it won't be anything crazy. going to get another AC110, two power heads, heater, and see if my old odessya T5's can fit on it.

Like the new rics, I never had any luck moving them off what I purchased them on.

They would never glue or stay down again and floated away to get into a powerhead or end up in an unlight portion of the tank to melt away.

Whats your trick?

This has to be one of the best 10 gallons I've ever seen!!! LOVE the new 'scape. It's totally changed the look of the tank. I bet in person it's even better :) Awesome job!

haha thanks guys! it's funny because the 20long looks massive next to it.

i wish i had a trick to making the mushrooms stick. i should have taken them off the frag plug a long time ago. 3/4 of them were stuck to a tiny flat piece of rock, which was then glued to the frag plug. so i just took a chisel and popped off that flat piece; but, since the mushroom grew and was also attached to the plug, i had to slice it off with a hobby knife.

i figure i have to learn this stuff if i'm going to frag, so we will see if they survive. they look ok so far, not as open as before but i'm guessing they need time to heal.

i'm going to try to make a crappy video tonight. :)

well the old odessya T5 lights still work....and fit for the most part..lol i'll probably get a new set of bulbs for it but i'll probably be using this.

KY0C0444.jpg

just a little update, picked up a purple hammer. unfortunally i can't setup the frag tank anymore because my moms house sold, so her, and my brother are looking for houses while i'm waiting for mine to be built (not to mension my wedding in september) :wacko: . no point in setting it up and then having to move it by september.

purple hammer kinda pissed off because i just moved it.

7128945249_b1f3c64c9f_z.jpg

and a current fts

7128947113_1cc431ff85_z.jpg

:)

Archived