Cultivated Reef

[URGENT! HELP] WTF happened to my lion's tail!

awpong

I came home today to find my lionfish, bright red, chilling on my sand.... with his tail missing!!!!

WTF happened to him!? I don't have any crabs or shrimp in the tank, and his tank mates are a cleaner wrasse, lemonpeel angel, and a small volitan lion. WTF!!!

Only one of my powerheads has been on for the past couple days, and the other one has a foam guard on it! This is so that my volitan won't chop off his fins....

d545e066.jpg

0529a179.jpg

I've been watching him closely for the past few days because I've noticed that his breathing rate has been a little faster than usual, but now he seems to be breathing fine. He's not pale, he's actually quite vividly red.

And the other day I had noticed that it looked like he was missing a small section of his tail, but it wasn't anything worse than what a clown's tail looks like during pairing. Just a little tattered, but nothing to really worry about. He was that way last night too, and now all of a sudden... WTF!!!

Does anyone know what's wrong? None of my fish pick on him.

Here's what his tail used to look like:

87b119ad.jpg

WOW let me just say that is a beautiful fish. And i wish i could help you but i do hope someone can help you figure this out. Hope all goes well.

Very pretty fish, hard to say. My girlfriend had something that looked similar to that but in a fresh water tank and it was a bacteria infection causing fin rot. Sorry about your fish, I hope you figure it out.

Man, that looks bad! Same type of thing happened to my YW Goby. What happend was he got stuck in the overflow and by the time i saw him it had wounded his tail. His tail slowly rotted away and he went to fishy heaven. :( I sure hope the same thing doesnt happen to your fish.

Im not really a lionfish fan... but boy that is one gorgeous fish! :wub:

Good Luck

He's not looking good. He tried to escape from the ghost shrimp I fed him, and he can't swim anymore :'(.

He's scooting around the sand, and just twiched himself into a rock. :'(

I feared finrot, but I'm surprised it happened over night and just to the tail. Lionfish are famous for their fins, so it's bizarre that they weren't effected.

I'm really upset. Not only have I spent 9 Months planning this dwarf lion tank, only to have both my zebra not make it past shipping and my fuzzy in his current condition, but he's also 3 days outside of the alive arrive guarantee :(

I really hope he pulls thru. He's worrying me because he's scared of the shrimp. He used to gobble those things up. *sigh*

I'm really upset. Not only have I spent 9 Months planning this dwarf lion tank, only to have both my zebra not make it past shipping and my fuzzy in his current condition, but he's also 3 days outside of the alive arrive guarantee :(

I really hope he pulls thru. He's worrying me because he's scared of the shrimp. He used to gobble those things up. *sigh*

I would still contact liveaquaria just to see what they say. I haven't personally dealt with them but their customer service seems great, and often times companies with customer service like that will still help you out.

What would I say? "I know that my little friend survived past 2 weeks, but only by three days. Is there anything that y'all could do for me, or am I SOL?"

What would I say? "I know that my little friend survived past 2 weeks, but only by three days. Is there anything that y'all could do for me, or am I SOL?"

Pretty much. Or just mention what you're seeing, maybe include a picture and ask for some help. They may go from there to offering to reimburse you.

Pretty much. Or just mention what you're seeing, maybe include a picture and ask for some help. They may go from there to offering to reimburse you.

Well I just called, and they said there wasn't anything they could do since I am outside of the warranty.

That sucks awpong! I have seen your excitement and enthusiasm throughout this whole entire build and to have things go south at this point must really suck.

That sucks awpong! I have seen your excitement and enthusiasm throughout this whole entire build and to have things go south at this point must really suck.

:'( Yea it sucks! It's starting to look like my dwarf lion tank won't have any dwarf lions in it :'(

I guess I'll just have to survive with it as a baby volitan grow out tank. I might buy another dwarf at one of the LFS. I've never lost a fish I bought there, but I'll soon have lost both of the fish that I ordered online. I guess I won't be doing that again :'(

Even the coral I've ordered online hasn't fared the best in my tanks either. I've had 1000000x fold more success with locally purchased livestock.

It's pretty lame they won't do a good faith warranty on the fish.

One thing about local fish stores is you can watch the fish swim and see how he reacts to other fish and food. This alone is worth the extra couple of dollars you might be saving ordering online.

Well, he's currently laying on his back in the back of one of my caves. He's still breathing, but he's not looking happy. If he doesn't right himself out in the next hour, I might feel compelled to freeze him.

At this point I'm just hoping he's not contagious. All of my other fish look fine. I'll probably end up doing a WC tomorrow just in case.

Well, he's currently laying on his back in the back of one of my caves. He's still breathing, but he's not looking happy. If he doesn't right himself out in the next hour, I might feel compelled to freeze him.

At this point I'm just hoping he's not contagious. All of my other fish look fine. I'll probably end up doing a WC tomorrow just in case.

Don't freeze him, that's one of the worst ways to do it. Look into using baking soda or clove oil

Don't freeze him, that's one of the worst ways to do it. Look into using baking soda or clove oil

False. Freezing is a natural anesthetic that slows down breathing and heart rate. It's basically the equivalent of falling asleep.

False. Freezing is a natural anesthetic that slows down breathing and heart rate. It's basically the equivalent of falling asleep.

orly

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/euthanasia.htm

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic...anasia-of-fish/

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-d...-fish-down.html

You could also just put it in a bad and smack it against something for a quick and painless death, although I wouldn't have the heart to do that.

Smack Ryan for saying that!

It is unfortunately the second quickest and most painless way to humanely kill a fish... First would be cutting it's head off. Like I said though, I wouldn't have the heart to do it.

It is unfortunately the second quickest and most painless way to humanely kill a fish... First would be cutting it's head off. Like I said though, I wouldn't have the heart to do it.

RYAN STOP IT! Grrrr

Archived