Cultivated Reef

Diver's Paradise - The Original

Felicia

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

I wish I could've attended this year! But my new design tanks were not ready, next year for sure! I see you found Brett and Wade, last year it was only Brett and I did get a pic with him made my night!

Did you see any micro sized tanks?

Looks like you photographed all the large ones....

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) thru 5) will go unaddressed, in order of getting this convo under control :lol:

6) You don't know if you have a scoly?! I think this is a sign that you have a problem. Zia, the first step is admitting that you are a coral addict :lol:

Hey it takes one to know one, Miss i ordered corals from the interweb just one day after getting back from Rap :P

insert your excuse here __________ Hey im not to proud, i'll attend coral anonymous meetings if they sell corals there to :D

7) I was on an SPS kick for a while and got some really nice mini colonies and then lost them all at once and was super frustrated. I've decided not to spend money on any more SPS corals. I like them but they are just too finicky. I am keeping the ones I have that do well for me, but I don't plan to buy any more. I was also having issues with making everything happy in terms of water quality. If the water was clean enough for the touchier SPS corals, then my zoas and softies wouldn't grow and looked pissy. And vice versa. Weirdly my slimer, birdsnests, montis, undatas, pocci, and the Golden Goose acro do just fine with the slightly dirtier water that makes my zoas grow like crazy. I love my couple easy SPS corals and I'm just going to stick with them. I put my maxima clam up on the SPS ledge to fill in the empty space after I lost those mini colonies. The seahorse tank has really made me appreciate the softies and gorgonians so much more. They're just as pretty and soooo much easier.

Collecting separate species of corals i.e. SPS, LPS, Z/PS, softies etc... Is almost a hobby within a hobby. In terms of having to finance so many different categories. So by cutting out SPS can only be good for the wallet. Plus your still left with some awesome mature colony's. Good call!

10) Again, you have a problem! I would have the same problem if I had that much extra money to spend on my tanks. Its a good thing I'm a student and don't have a real job or I'd spend too much to. Speaking of your equipment upgrade, is that fancy ATO reservoir you got from Advanced Acrylics? I was eyeing one of those at their booth at RAP and am soooo tempted to buy one. They're just so sleek and would take up way less room in the tiny stand for the seahorse tank than the Home Depot bucket I am using currently.

Student or not, your still doing a impressive job consistently buying goodies and keeping those tanks looking tip top.

The ATO, i bought off of eBay and it certainly looks like John's work but the eBay store account is fairly new and dosent say it's AA, so not sure?

It's 100.00 Or Best Offer. He accepted my 70.00 offer and with shipping it was 87.00 total. Not bad for a really well built and good looking plastic box

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acrylic-aquarium-auto-topoff-ATO-reef-reservoir-container-/271296967665?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f2a8f33f1

11) So 7.25 posts is your max? When does that start over? Hourly, daily? :lol:

1/2 way there again. I better start to land this plane already

12) I really want to know what you wanted to say about Jon taking the seahorses to events for the PE booth. Tell me! I take back that you post too much :)

N/A this would cut into my post count

13) Yeah she's quite the animal lover and now has a kitten, two dogs, and like 5 aquariums. I don't blame you for buying your purebred exotic shorthair. They're adorable cats and not too common in shelters. I was planning to buy a ragdoll cat from a breeder until I found Lily through a rescue. I still wonder how an adorable 8 week old ragdoll kitten Lily ended up in a shelter.

Yea, that a very unique situation you found a Ragdoll/Lily at a shelter,especially as a kitten. Again, only in Cali,lol

I'm gonna have earn some good carma elsewhere, cause i definitely wanted a exotic short hair for myself.

:D I didn't say anything exciting. Go get yourself a drink. You deserve one with all the craziness with your tank! When does the newest fluff ball arrive? Just focus on the adorable kittens instead of the tank!

I was supposed t get him last Sunday but we couldn't get our schedules together to make it happen. So the the new plan is this Sunday :naughtydance: She's being nice enough to meet me 1/2 way from Arizona and here to avoid putting him on a plane. So i should be back late Sunday night with him.

I wish I could've attended this year! But my new design tanks were not ready, next year for sure! I see you found Brett and Wade, last year it was only Brett and I did get a pic with him made my night!

Did you see any micro sized tanks?

Looks like you photographed all the large ones....

That's too bad you couldn't make it. I plan on attending again next year.

I photographed most of the tanks. Unfortunately there weren't really any pico sized tanks. Just some nanos and then the bigger tanks.

1) thru 5) will go unaddressed, in order of getting this convo under control :lol:

Hey it takes one to know one, Miss i ordered corals from the interweb just one day after getting back from Rap :P

insert your excuse here __________ Hey im not to proud, i'll attend coral anonymous meetings if they sell corals there to :D

Collecting separate species of corals i.e. SPS, LPS, Z/PS, softies etc... Is almost a hobby within a hobby. In terms of having to finance so many different categories. So by cutting out SPS can only be good for the wallet. Plus your still left with some awesome mature colony's. Good call!

Student or not, your still doing a impressive job consistently buying goodies and keeping those tanks looking tip top.

The ATO, i bought off of eBay and it certainly looks like John's work but the eBay store account is fairly new and dosent say it's AA, so not sure?

It's 100.00 Or Best Offer. He accepted my 70.00 offer and with shipping it was 87.00 total. Not bad for a really well built and good looking plastic box

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acrylic-aquarium-auto-topoff-ATO-reef-reservoir-container-/271296967665?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f2a8f33f1

1/2 way there again. I better start to land this plane already

N/A this would cut into my post count

Yea, that a very unique situation you found a Ragdoll/Lily at a shelter,especially as a kitten. Again, only in Cali,lol

I'm gonna have earn some good carma elsewhere, cause i definitely wanted a exotic short hair for myself.

I was supposed t get him last Sunday but we couldn't get our schedules together to make it happen. So the the new plan is this Sunday :naughtydance: She's being nice enough to meet me 1/2 way from Arizona and here to avoid putting him on a plane. So i should be back late Sunday night with him.

Ok, let me see if I can get this conversation under control. First off, I admit to my coral addiction. That is the first step. Granted, I don't plan to complete any of the other steps because I have no desire to be cured :lol: Second, thanks for the link to the ATO reservoir. Its very similar to the AA one I saw, but it is a bit different. That's awesome that he accepted the $70 offer. I may just have to buy one at some point. Third, I said I gave up on SPS corals, but yet somehow I got two new ones today. They were free though, so that makes it ok! :lol: Finally, good luck getting the kitten tomorrow! Drive safe and post lots of photos of the cute little thing when you get a chance!

What a pretty pair you have there!

Thank you! :)

That maxima on the left. :)

Yeah, I just love that maxima. Its even brighter in person!

Yeah I would say Maximas are the brightest out of the clam families. :)

I agree. They're supposedly the hardest to keep alive though, so I constantly worry about mine, but its doing really well so far. I think it likes my lights a lot. I was told it would darken in color if it wasn't getting enough light, but its still just as bright as when I bought it so I think it really likes my LEDs.

Yeah maximas are supposedly the most delicate ones. I had one before but it wasn't the expensive one like yours. Blue maximas are pretty pricey, I had the tiger(purple/brown orange) one in my old tank.

Your squamosa is nice but I'm more of fan for maximas.

Yeah maximas are supposedly the most delicate ones. I had one before but it wasn't the expensive one like yours. Blue maximas are pretty pricey, I had the tiger(purple/brown orange) one in my old tank.

Your squamosa is nice but I'm more of fan for maximas.

My maxima actually wasn't too expensive for the color. I paid $65, which I thought was very reasonable. Its pretty small though. Right at 2". Its coloring is definitely much brighter and prettier than the squamosa. I wanted an easier to care for clam and I like the spots on squamosas. Also the one I got is orange and blue, which is my favorite color combo in corals because I'm a big Gator (University of Florida) fan and their colors are orange and blue.

I see. Lol, my 3" tiger one in the past was only $30 :P .

You could imagine how cheap I was back then ahah.

My lfs has a 5-6" blue maxima....it has me mesmerized all over it.

Super shiny and bright. Can't wait to see yours grown to that size.

Ok, so I have some bad news, but don't worry, I have lots of good news in a moment to balance it out! So hang in there!

Bad news...

The pink gorgonian is gone. :( It had full polyp extension and looked great and then last night it just started losing flesh everywhere. This morning it was over halfway gone and was still sloughing off flesh everywhere, so I removed it from the tank to keep it from crashing the tank as it died. It was so weird though because it had happy fluffy polyp extension on all the remaining flesh even while it was rapidly dying. Well, I knew it was a risk when I bought it and then the tiny bit of info I found about this species said even big public aquariums haven't been able to keep them alive. I think its just a coral that is better left in the ocean and there was really no chance of it surviving in a tank. Oh well! It was just such a bummer because it was so pretty and such a bright shade of pink.

Anyways, on to the good news!

My local club had a huge event today called the Breeder and Propagation Workshop. We do it annually and this year I was the volunteer coordinator. We had talks, demos, frag sales, equipment sales, food, a silent auction, a raffle, etc. So much fun! Anyways, I managed to score 3 really nice corals for free at the event. I got a new yellow fiji leather to replace the one I had that died on me. This one isn't as bright yellow but I don't think it was under very good lights and I'm hoping it will brighten up in my tank. So far it has great polyp extension and looks happy. I also got two SPS frags from one of the club members. I got a nice big piece of blue slimer, which I hope grows as well for my as my green slimer. I also got this nice encrusting frag of a really pretty green acro with purple tips and purple polyps. Hopefully these do well and will make me less frustrated at SPS corals.

Also, I stopped by an LFS on my way home to grab PE mysis for the seahorses and while I was there I said I wasn't even going to look at the corals so I wouldn't be temped to buy them. Anyways, I went over to talk to my friend who was looking at the corals and out of the corner of my eye I spotted...........

A YELLOW SPIRAL WIRE!

Ok, yellow is probably not even the right color description. Its like neon, day-glow lemon-lime colored. It makes me think of Mountain Dew :lol: Its about 8" tall a very nicely spiraled. It had insane puffy polyp extension in the store, in the bag, and now in my tank. I paid $45 for it, which I think is a decent price. The only drawback is that it is so insanely neon that it makes the other corals in the seahorse tank look a bit bland. This thing is definitely THE POP in that tank now! I'll get photos up tomorrow. :D

I see. Lol, my 3" tiger one in the past was only $30 :P .

You could imagine how cheap I was back then ahah.

My lfs has a 5-6" blue maxima....it has me mesmerized all over it.

Super shiny and bright. Can't wait to see yours grown to that size.

Wow! That's a great price for a clam. Around here $65 was a very reasonable price. My new 2" squamosa was $30.

I bet one of those 5-6" blue maximas would look sick in the scoly tank ;)

I sure hope mine grows! I keep watching the shell and it looks like it may have already laid down some new shell in the little over a month that I've had it.

Ouch, sorry to hear about the new pink gorg...those are very delicate as I was expecting it so as we speak.

No worries, we lose, we buy more ;)

That's what money is for haha.

Btw, I would never put a clam in a scoly tank. Clams are nice but I like to keep the strictly scoly only theme.

A clam tank would be sickk though.

My tiger one was known to be the lower grades of blue maximas. I see people selling 3" tiger maximas for $30 all the time, but never have I seen a blue one go for that low. They're always at least $50+ for the 1.5".

Ouch, sorry to hear about the new pink gorg...those are very delicate as I was expecting it so as we speak.

No worries, we lose, we buy more ;)

That's what money is for haha.

Btw, I would never put a clam in a scoly tank. Clams are nice but I like to keep the strictly scoly only theme.

A clam tank would be sickk though.

My tiger one was known to be the lower grades of blue maximas. I see people selling 3" tiger maximas for $30 all the time, but never have I seen a blue one go for that low. They're always at least $50+ for the 1.5".

No worries about the gorgonian. I didn't have high hopes for its survival. It wasn't too expensive, so I took the risk. Oh well!

I bet you could set up a very sleek and awesome looking clam tank. Maybe that can be tank #3? Haha!

Interesting to know about the pricing. I didn't know too much what to expect about the prices since I hadn't really shopped for clams until recently. I like the tiger and the gold maximas, but my teal one was definitely worth the extra money for its color. :)

Hmm tank #3....that will have to wait for years haha. I'm already thinking it'll take me a while to get this current tank filled up with scolys.

But that might be an option. Clams...they get huge though, we'll see.

I've never even thought about a 3rd tank....gawd that would be too much work... haha. We'll see.

Some more maximas for you.

10375663433_00d99b0f30.jpg
Two-Faced-Chimera-Maxima-Clam by iscolymia, on Flickr

10375488926_be51fdeb76.jpg
V O1606 169 Polynesian Cultured Maxima by iscolymia, on Flickr

10375466115_b1d86e3c27.jpg
V S0638 89 Palau Maxima by iscolymia, on Flickr

10375670903_899a159ebf.jpg
bicolor-maxima-clam by iscolymia, on Flickr

This one looks like a crocea.

10375465774_2a4642f16b.jpg
img_1450_edited by iscolymia, on Flickr

Hmm tank #3....that will have to wait for years haha. I'm already thinking it'll take me a while to get this current tank filled up with scolys.

But that might be an option. Clams...they get huge though, we'll see.

I've never even thought about a 3rd tank....gawd that would be too much work... haha. We'll see.

Some more maximas for you.

10375663433_00d99b0f30.jpg

Two-Faced-Chimera-Maxima-Clam by iscolymia, on Flickr

10375488926_be51fdeb76.jpg

V O1606 169 Polynesian Cultured Maxima by iscolymia, on Flickr

10375466115_b1d86e3c27.jpg

V S0638 89 Palau Maxima by iscolymia, on Flickr

10375670903_899a159ebf.jpg

bicolor-maxima-clam by iscolymia, on Flickr

This one looks like a crocea.

10375465774_2a4642f16b.jpg

img_1450_edited by iscolymia, on Flickr

Yeah, three tanks would be a lot of work. That's why I took down my frag tank when I started the seahorse tank. :)

Those are some serious clams! Wow! The second one looks a lot like mine, just a bit more green. Mine looks more green/teal in person than it shows up in photos.

The new SPS corals I got today. Sorry about the blurry spots. I've got some algae down near the sand that I need to scrape off the glass.

Blue Slimer

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/alatarie/media/IMG_5032Edit.jpg.html'>IMG_5032Edit.jpg

Green acro with purple tips. The polyps were just starting to come out.

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/alatarie/media/IMG_5023Edit.jpg.html'>IMG_5023Edit.jpg

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/alatarie/media/IMG_5029Edit.jpg.html'>IMG_5029Edit.jpg

Also, disregard to pain in the a$$ flatworms...they come out in force right before lights out. These are the new vice-type zoas I picked up at RAP. For $5, I got two frags of these, each with 5+ polyps :) You can see my Miami Vice zoas from Randi behind them and they are slightly different colors.

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/alatarie/media/IMG_5022.jpg.html'>IMG_5022.jpg

Oh really? I thought yours is more blue. The 1st and the 4th are two-faced clams. Pretty cool.

Yeah, the two-faced clams are awesome! Mine is a really bright tealy-green from the top down when you see it in person. Not as green as that one but a green-blue. Viewed from the side, it looks more blue.

I'm putting up photos of the new yellow spiral wire on my seahorse tank thread right now :)

I see. Great clam it is. Oh, those flatworms, how are the nudi's working for you?

The flatworms are such a PITA! The nudi has been MIA since the first night. I guess he could be lurking down in the rocks, but I'm not optimistic. I heard a lot of people have issues with them just disappearing after adding them to their tank since they are so sensitive. I was excited because he started eating flatworms right away but now he has vanished. :(

Mmm good thing they aren't pricey. Perhaps try a reef wrasse specifically known to eat fw?

Yeah, it was only $10, so worth a shot but not pricey. I thought about getting a wrasse but I really shouldn't put another fish in this tank and it always hit or miss whether they'll actually eat the flatworms.

Well I know for sure, six-lines will eat those flatworms...Pink streaked wrasses as well.

Hopefully you figure a way to get rid of those bugs lol.

Well I know for sure, six-lines will eat those flatworms...Pink streaked wrasses as well.

Hopefully you figure a way to get rid of those bugs lol.

Yeah, hopefully I can get rid of them. I may have to resort to a wrasse eventually. For now I've been suctioning them out every so often, which works for a few days until they can multiply again. I just haven't done it in about a week and so there are a lot right now.

Archived