Top Shelf Aquatics

Ballz' Reef

iball1804

aiyaiyai! I can't decide! A sixline is really a must as the tunnels in my scape are about 2" tall and wide, which is not enough for a fully grown dwarf angel.

Those wrasse variants look sweet, but I really want a sixline! Rats.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With a tank that's ~10 gallons, you have to be careful with your stocking. I'd get two fish, one that perched like a goby or blenny and one who was usually out and about to add some movement like a damsel, clown, or wrasse.

My vote for perching is the Tail Spot Blenny because it says pretty small and has a lot of color. My vote for out and about would be a Yellowtail Damsel because it's cheap, hardy, one of the most blue fish you can find, and orange and blue are complements on the color wheel so the two fish would aesthetically go together.

And by having a damsel, it doesn't preclude you from getting a six line later if you really wanted it since none of the three fish really compete for the same space. And none of the fish are similar colors so you would get a lot of variety.  

Oh that's a good idea. I did try to put the flattest pieces on the bottom so they sat still. Only time will tell.

In fact, I don't mind 9 gallons of water in my room, or on my floor. :o hehehe

In all honesty, 9g's isn't much to clean up....

Try ~150g's of nutrient rich Hydroponic plant food..... In carpet.... On top of Hardwood. :slap:

-----

Oh... I forgot to mention, The eggcrate also provides good footing for yer rocks.

They stay in place a bit better.

Anyways, while the cycles begins and I brainstorm my lighting options.

Nutrafin cycle will have that beast cycled in a week.... Just sayin'. ;)

Let's discuss stocking.

I'm looking for a colorful, fast, out a lot, good personality, and overall great fish.

Wrasses and dwarf angels so far fit the bill.

I personally love Sixline Wrasse's. Jmo.

Dwarf Angel's are cool lookin', but I know NOTHING about them.

I considered getting a Frogfish, at one point.

You gonna run a skimmer? (I forgot....)

EDIT: Nice overflow box, btw. :D

Thanks for the comments. Yeah that skimmer box cost me absolutely nothing. It's just 1/4" black PVC.

Nutrafin? Is that expensive?

Yeah so a sixline it is. Anything else? Or maybe that can be the large show fish. Again I read it's not necessarily the volume, but dimensions that show what fish you can get.

Basically. A shallower tank that is deeper and wider has more surface contact for gas exchange and more bottom area for more sand where beneficial bacteria grows. There are probably more reasons, but I'm not aware of them.

It's all about the space fish have to swim in. If you could have a 6'x2'x6" tank that would ~44 gallons, you could keep a tang no problem, even though its less than half the size they require.

But back to your tank :lol: a six line is a really good choice and if you're leaning towards it, get it. I love mine, his personality and activity level are great. They are a popular nano choice for a reason.

Thanks for the comments. Yeah that skimmer box cost me absolutely nothing. It's just 1/4" black PVC.

Nutrafin? Is that expensive?

Yeah so a sixline it is. Anything else? Or maybe that can be the large show fish. Again I read it's not necessarily the volume, but dimensions that show what fish you can get.

Nutra fin cycle is like $7 a bottle....

You'll only need one bottle.

Dump a cap a day, for two days.

Then, Two caps on day 3.

Day 4 is a 25% WC.

Dump the rest of the bottle in, after the WC.

Cycle over.

Yup that's what I thought. Sixline it is!

My local LFS is pretty crummy. It's 40$ for a plug of zoas!

Downtown (1 hour away) had a pretty good deal of 50$ for 3 plugs BUT I always look for the plugs with multiple corals. Like a plug with some center xenia, zoas encroaching on one side, and a mushroom on the other.

It's pretty much like 8 frags for 50$. Although the frags are very small....

Well I put in some nite-out last night.

Hopefully the live rock has enough die off to support a full blown cycle. Oh and the water in my tank has cleared! The sape look schweettt....

Get some pics up ASAP! As for the sixline, we've had ours for a few years and he is an awesome fish. Very active and ours is very friendly. Has never bothered any of his tank mates :) maybe we got lucky? Idkkk

Archived