inTank Media Baskets

Ballz' Reef

iball1804

I can say that it's definitely blue, but not as bad as one would say. Having both of mine on 100% it seems like I get actinic colors out of my coral but it still looks daylight. Since you're getting the dimmable kit you'll be amazed at the control. I think those ratios are more important when you don't have dimmers.

As for coral, what kinds do you like? You're not going to be hampered by what you can and can't grow with those lights so it's really just a matter of deciding which ones look good to you. I'd start out with a soft coral like zoas or gsp then get an acan or plate then get a monti and work your way up to acro. I've never kept acro but I've always read it's harder than monti and other SPS.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure I won't do SPS, simply because I won't have a skimmer.

I will get the non-dimmable version, and just lower and raise the fixture for my corals needs.

No, no, no.... See, he has this calculator..... :lol:

:slap:

Haha I am not saying that this calculator is the final word I was just trying to point out that it is not the water volume but the height of the water that constitutes the thickness of the glass. I agree that 1/8th inch isn't the best because there are other variables as well like HOB products, water movement, and silicon strength. I just thought that it was an interesting mathematical fact.

No, no, no.... See, he has this calculator..... :lol:

:slap:

:P

I'm pretty sure I won't do SPS, simply because I won't have a skimmer.

I will get the non-dimmable version, and just lower and raise the fixture for my corals needs.

Where is this tank going? I might have missed it....

Haha I am not saying that this calculator is the final word I was just trying to point out that it is not the water volume but the height of the water that constitutes the thickness of the glass. I agree that 1/8th inch isn't the best because there are other variables as well like HOB products, water movement, and silicon strength. I just thought that it was an interesting mathematical fact.

Right on, I think we agree 1/8 is scary stuff for the most part.

It's going to be a mixed reef with one sixline wrasse as the main fish, and mainly LPS and softies for the corals. No SPS.

Would the 12 LED version be sufficient? It's like 80$ shipped!

pismo_reefer

Okay....

If you really think that "height" is the only bearing, on glass thickness...

I implore you to read about fluid dynamic's.

The thought that an exponential amount of fluid, can be held in by 1/8" glass, "as long as it's "not tall"....

Is ridiculous.

--------------

It's going to be a mixed reef with one sixline wrasse as the main fish, and mainly LPS and softies for the corals. No SPS.

SPS are hard to keep alive in ~9g's....

---------

Does the led kit come with optics?

---------

Sixline's are jaw-some! omgomgomg

Okay....

If you really think that "height" is the only bearing, on glass thickness...

I implore you to read about fluid dynamic's.

The thought that an exponential amount of fluid, can be held in by 1/8" glass, "as long as it's "not tall"....

Is ridiculous.

--------------

This is what I have been reading, it is what I have based most of my comments on.

From the little that I've read UV gives you more of the actinic look, but too much will actually harm the coral. But two led pendants on a fixture like that won't do anything significant to harm it. It will however give you a little brighter colors.

Yeh the sixline is fresh! I don't plan on putting any SPS in there anyways.

Yeah they come with either 30, 60, or 80 degree optics.

Oh, and I have a DIY 5.5 gallon shallow tank similar to iBall's. Dimensions are 16 long, 10 deep, and 8 high. The link is below. I have a fuge on there now and it's doing perfectly fine. It does depend on the height, although if I had a tank any larger I would go with 1/4 glass, just to be safe.

Here

Nice choice in fish, those 6 lines cant be beat in a nano.

Yeh the sixline is fresh! I don't plan on putting any SPS in there anyways.

Yeah they come with either 30, 60, or 80 degree optics.

What supplier are you using?

Haha! Later down in the thread you said you used 1/8".

I'm buying the Aquastyles 12 LED kit. Should I get the dimming capability and pay an extra 25$?

I definitely think so. Then you could maybe rig it to do the whole sun rise and sun set dimming thing if you wanted. And even moon lights.

pismo_reefer
I'm buying the Aquastyles 12 LED kit. Should I get the dimming capability and pay an extra 25$?

Yes.... Just. Yes. B)

...and, I wasn't disputing that 1/8" would hold 5.5g's.

I think some cheap 10g's are even 1/8".

I just don't want people pushing the 12g+ range, becuz "the calculator said so."

Some people are just plain stupid, and will really try to do it.

I'm gonna leave this subject alone, now.

You can have yer thread back, iBall... :lol:

:flower:

Haha! Later down in the thread you said you used 1/8".

Dimming is a must I think for LEDs. With it, you not only have the ability to acclimate your corals without raising or lowering the light itself. And don't forget that with it you have infinite control over your color temperature. Anywhere from 6700-20+k. Pismo knows what I'm talking about, you know the color you have with the blues on full and the whites just clicked on? That is an awesome look.

Yes.... Just. Yes. B)

...and, I wasn't disputing that 1/8" would hold 5.5g's.

I think some cheap 10g's are even 1/8".

I just don't want people pushing the 12g+ range, becuz "the calculator said so."

Some people are just plain stupid, and will really try to do it.

I'm gonna leave this subject alone, now.

You can have yer thread back, iBall... :lol:

:flower:

I understand. Just go with what you feel. 1/8" on a 10 or less should be fine. Some people are stupid :lol: , but on this site I'm sure no one is that stupid.

Back to lighting. Hurry up and order it, iBall, because I want to see what this thing looks like! XD

Haha, well I would just like to think optimistically. :lol: I don't want to get too off subject here, but JoelRHale, your icon is hilarious. I've probably spent hours looking at it and laughing.

It's okay, iball doesn't mind I don't think. If he did he would hate his thread since this is like the 5th time it's gone off topic :lol: plus we all secretly like out post counts getting higher :ninja:

I love my avatar. I didn't make it, but when I get some free time I think I'm going to take the same Jackson face and get the scene from alien when it comes out of his stomach and make the alien have that face.

That's a good kit and will treat you well. Since you don't want sps though you could probably get away with contacting them and asking them to make a custom pack of just 10 LEDs 1:1 with the dimmable driver. They will work with you I was reading and it would be even cheaper since saving costs is a consideration.

Yup that's Samuel Jackson. It's the only way a huge shark could be made even more terrifying.

JoelRHale, I guess your right. This has been more off subject than on, but we do all want that high post count!

iBall, thats the same fixture I was going to get if yours worked out, so now you are COMPLETELY my guinea pig. Haha! JK! But I think thats Jackson, or I guess it could be Morgan Freeman too.

http://www.aquastyleonline.com/products/Aq...mmable-Kit.html <---- That.

7 RB to 7 CW or 1:1. Dimmable. Hopefully that's enough! And 1/8" should not be on anything less than 5 gallons, that's just common sense!

Who is that? Samuel Jackson?

EDIT: I don't mind what goes on in my threads as long as I get my questions answered!

That website is not easy to find! I googled for 10 minutes all sorts of variations and only got some crazy cartoons and a bunch of reef sites with people raving about the lights lol.

Thanks for the link.

Ill ask here, im a T5 guy :D Will the 36 LED dimmable kit here:

http://www.aquastyleonline.com/products/36...mmable-Kit.html

Be sufficient for sps in a 20 long?

The 36 LED kit should be overkill for a 20L!

Yeah I will ask for ten. That sounds better. Maybe 10-15$ less?

J_McCord - I love being a lab rat! I will order it this Monday or tuesday!

Archived