Pod Your Reef

Ballz' Reef

iball1804

iball, How thick is the glass and what kind of glass did you use? Just left over coffee table glass? I will be building a frag tank instead of buying one after seeing how well yours turned out. Nice job.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks!

No I ordered 1/4" glass (absolutely positively OVERKILL, 1/8" would suffice) from my local glass shop for around 35$.

So getting past the DIY (until further updates), what fish would you recommend?

I read a thread about it's not necessarily the gallons, but dimensions. I believe a shallow tank has more wiggle room for larger fish. My wishful thinking brought me to a couple choices:

- one flame angel

-one sixline and a pair of ocellaris clownfish

- a smaller fish and a pair of ocellaris

Probably a little overstocked, but that's why I'm posting here before anything happens!

I have built tanks and I would never build one without a bead between the seams. Without it you are asking for a blowout eventually. I've never seen any professional aquarium built without one. Not sure what a garage has to do with anything, I've built tanks in garages and in my house, the bead made it easier. What tanks have you had that only had the inside seams? I've taken apart tons of tanks to salvage the glass and not one has been without the silicone between the panes. The only way those tanks with tiny inside seams work is because of the silicone between the panes. I think it may work fine on small tanks but I'd never encourage anyone to make one 10+ gallons without it.

Not hacking on you at all, but since you put a writeup on the page I just want to make sure people do it right. More silicone is better than not enough when it comes to holding water.

Well now MGDMIRAGE, that's not true.

Although that seam between between the panes is helpful, it's just not practical for a guy in his garage. I have made multiple tanks before with just a smoothed corner seam and they have worked out fine. Now I understand the properties of silicone and the integrity and benefits of have a seam bond (both structural and aesthetics) but if you have tried (I have) it just isn't very realistic.

well speaking from experience, applying silicone in between the panes is not difficult at all. i contructed my own tank 12x12x10 with 1/4" plate and ge1. im glad youve had good luck with just the smoothed seems but i wouldn't rely on just that, just my opinion.

post-61543-1316653899_thumb.jpg tank i built

iball, How thick is the glass and what kind of glass did you use? Just left over coffee table glass? I will be building a frag tank instead of buying one after seeing how well yours turned out. Nice job.

When you order the glass you are going to ask for "plate glass".

Dang! Can't find a link about the quantity but it talks about less silicone is more.

Silicone is a gel-like substance. In large quantities it is squishy and not very stiff. A small quantity is much more rigid and not as squishy.

The same concept applies to tanks. Less silicone is more. The less you have means the more rigid and strong the tank is because there's no wiggle room in the silicone.

well speaking from experience, applying silicone in between the panes is not difficult at all. i contructed my own tank 12x12x10 with 1/4" plate and ge1. im glad youve had good luck with just the smoothed seems but i wouldn't rely on just that, just my opinion.

post-61543-1316653899_thumb.jpg tank i built

Oh yes I apply pressure so the silicone not only is on the seam, but in between the glass. MGDMIRAGE was referring to a pure internal seam and how it's important. Although important, it's very difficult to create a seam bond with only silicone between the glass only.

The thinner it is compressed the more rigid it is, that is why the one between the panes is so strong. The tinsel strength of silicone on glass is amazing and most tanks don't get close to reaching its limits.

Maybe we are all confused. I encourage a bead of silicone between and on the insides, not just between. Relying on just the one between the panes would be very hard to get a good seal on the corners.

Here is what I do:

Place a large bead on the edge of the glass, compress the pieces together, some will leak out onto the sides. Once the little bit leaks out of the seam I do that really small inner seam with it, much like you did. I usually leave 1/16th or so of room with tape for that small inner seam.

Thanks. Can you elaborate on what is different about "plate glass"?

Plate glass is your typical glass that is used in windows on houses and such. It can be cut and drilled. Tempered glass is stronger but you cannot drill it or the whole piece will shatter. Almost all side windows on cars are made of tempered for added strength. The windshields however are not because a stray rock could hit and shatter your entire window instead of just making a chip.

MGDMIRAGE, yep we weren't on the same page. I thought you meant purely a between the glass seam, like ADA and ELOS. I'm sorry for any confusion!

Prodigial1011, plate glass is standard glass. Sheet glass. It's very, very common. I made my tank out of it.

iball, what are you referring to when you asked what I'm willing to work with?

And MGD, how do you apply to the silicone to the sides of the glass first then press them together without getting a bunch to squish to the outside of the glass? I know you said what squished to the inside you use to create a thin bead, but how do you avoid the silicone to go on the outside?

Thanks!

You just have to clean it up with a razor blade, it works well and is pretty easy, this is of course after it has dried enough to not ooze everywhere.

+1 that is what i do, because some does go on the outside, but once its fully cured a razor blade does wonders. Also when you need to scrap silicone off glass keep the glass wet and it will help it from scratching. Dry razor + dry glass = potential scratches.

NURSE - do you already have a stand chosen out with set dimensions?

I am going to be using a kitchen base cabinet so the dimensions aren't a concern for the tank ;)

One more questions and I'll quit bothering you guys. I'm planning on a 26"x18"x10" frag tank. Will I need to step up to a 1/4" glass or will the 1/8" stuff work? I would like to stick with 1/8" if possible. I have a ton of scrap sheets of 1/8".

Umm.... Water?

+1

Archived