Innovative Marine Aquariums

Mr. M's Microscopy of the Reef, FlowerMama's Dinos! #303

Mr. Microscope

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FlowerMama

I love the 3d look on the stairs going up the memorial. Very nice! Now I have to find a penny...pick it up...and look at it. Nope, never noticed it was in there.

Mr. Microscope

So, a few weeks back, FlowerMama sent me a sample of the plague that had ravaged her RFA tank. I gotta say, this has been one of the most exciting samples I've ever looked at.

Dinos%20low%20mag_zpslr68ksah.jpg

From low magnification, you can see all sorts of things swimming around in the water. I saw everything from diatoms, to phytoplankton, to the plague itself..the dreaded...

dun, dun, DUNNNN

dino%2002_zpshjvaukie.jpg

DINOFLAGELATES!

Watch this video in high definition and you can see their little flagellae propelling them around. These are really amazing creatures!

I believe it's a strain of ostreopsis.

dino%2001_zpsnwhdjvfb.jpg

dino%2003_zpso0goecjo.jpg

Here's some other fun pics from this sample.

I'm pretty sure this big pointy thing is a diatom.

diatom_zpsa7nbzlrf.jpg

Here's some phytoplankton:

phyto%2001_zpsonylusko.jpg

phyto%2002_zpsblbgw2rx.jpg

I believe this is another strain of phyto.

phyto%2003_zpsbfm33jrg.jpg

This was really neat. I filmed it moving around a little. You can see as it moves that it is a sphere. My focal plane started on top and I moved to the bottom:

Its Prorocentrum

Here is a video of video of Ostreopsis for comparison:

charnelhouse

So, a few weeks back, FlowerMama sent me a sample of the plague that had ravaged her RFA tank. I gotta say, this has been one of the most exciting samples I've ever looked at.

Dinos%20low%20mag_zpslr68ksah.jpg

From low magnification, you can see all sorts of things swimming around in the water. I saw everything from diatoms, to phytoplankton, to the plague itself..the dreaded...

dun, dun, DUNNNN

dino%2002_zpshjvaukie.jpg

DINOFLAGELATES!

Watch this video in high definition and you can see their little flagellae propelling them around. These are really amazing creatures!

dino%2001_zpsnwhdjvfb.jpg

Here's some other fun pics from this sample.

I'm pretty sure this big pointy thing is a diatom.

diatom_zpsa7nbzlrf.jpg

Here's some phytoplankton:

phyto%2001_zpsonylusko.jpg

phyto%2002_zpsblbgw2rx.jpg

I believe this is another strain of phyto.

phyto%2003_zpsbfm33jrg.jpg

This was really neat. I filmed it moving around a little. You can see as it moves that it is a sphere. My focal plane started on top and I moved to the bottom:

Wow. Just wow. I have science priapism right now. This is the coolest thread ever.

Mr. Microscope

So cool! That pointy diatom is fascinating.

Thank you Chris! They are really in a class by themselves as far as beauty goes.

Its Prorocentrum

Here is a video of video of Ostreopsis for comparison:

Yay! I was hoping you'd chime in Mr. Pants. Thank you for the diagnosis! I'll let FlowerMama know right away.

Do you know what's going on with the dino in this picture? It's considerably devoid of stuff inside.

I got a video of it too and it was dancing around just like the others.

Wow. Just wow. I have science priapism right now. This is the coolest thread ever.

Thank you charnel! lol! I'm always happy to arouse/impress. ;)

Do you know what's going on with the dino in this picture? It's considerably devoid of stuff inside.

I got a video of it too and it was dancing around just like the others.

It appears to be encysted. It shouldn't be moving. Are you sure it wasn't just brownian motion?

It would be a good target for SEM if you want to pick it up and move it to a filter.

Wow just wow. That pointy thing is a diatom? :o I was fascinated by the spherical phytoplankton. Very cool.

Its Prorocentrum

Mr Pants!! Heard much about you from JedimasterBen. Nice to see you here.

Wow just wow. That pointy thing is a diatom? :o I was fascinated by the spherical phytoplankton. Very cool.

The pointy thing is a sponge spicule. They come in all sorts of cool shapes. Another fun SEM target (especially if you can gather up more types by dissolving a sponge)

Mr. Microscope

It appears to be encysted. It shouldn't be moving. Are you sure it wasn't just brownian motion?

It would be a good target for SEM if you want to pick it up and move it to a filter.

Nope, it's motile. Again, HD will show the flagellae.

Thank you! This sample has it all!

The pointy thing is a sponge spicule. They come in all sorts of cool shapes. Another fun SEM target (especially if you can gather up more types by dissolving a sponge)

Woh! Cool. Thank you for the ID on this. Very interesting. I can't do anything about these samples now, but I'd love to do some SEM on sponge spicules. I've seen them in sea urchins though via cryo SEM. Very interesting stuff.

Not good for Annette, but very nice images! Its too bad dinos are such a nightmare in our tanks, because they're pretty awesome to view with a microscope. Nice work as always, Mr. M :)

Oh Good Lord I had it all! That was extremely fascinating, except that it messed up my tank!!! I love the video of the dino playing bumper cars. Made me smile actually. I can't tell you excited I've been to find out.

sponge spicules and spherical phytoplankton! Wait, so is Prorocentrum a type of dino or what is it? So nothing wrong I assume with sponge spicules? I loved the spherical phytoplankton- loved how you caught it in motion.

I loved the perfect sponge spicules!!! That was so fun for me to watch and read. Thank You tons Mr. Microscope and in addition, Mr. Pants as well. Well Done!!!!! Now I'm going to read up a little on sponge spicules!!!

It's been since 5/17 that the nems were moved into the 20g and 34g. I keep wondering when it's going to show up. Those are both though more established tanks, from Oct and Nov 2013.

Very cool.... but also made me angry... seeing those hell spawn.... they look smug to me! :furious:

Sure as hell made me angry too. Definitely spawn from Satan.

I've learnt more facts about biology than my science class this year and last year combined.

Yeah, you learn and retain by experiencing, not by just reading.

Pinner Reef

Very cool thread Mr. M keep up the good work. And yep those are the lil bastages that shut down my tank as well. :angry:

Mr. Microscope

Oh Good Lord I had it all! That was extremely fascinating, except that it messed up my tank!!! I love the video of the dino playing bumper cars. Made me smile actually. I can't tell you excited I've been to find out.

sponge spicules and spherical phytoplankton! Wait, so is Prorocentrum a type of dino or what is it? So nothing wrong I assume with sponge spicules? I loved the spherical phytoplankton- loved how you caught it in motion.

I loved the perfect sponge spicules!!! That was so fun for me to watch and read. Thank You tons Mr. Microscope and in addition, Mr. Pants as well. Well Done!!!!! Now I'm going to read up a little on sponge spicules!!!

Yay! I'm really happy you're enjoying them. I have to confess, I left the sample on my desk too long after imaging it and they really turned sulfurous. So, no electron microscopy.

Yes, Prorocentrales is a type of dino.

I'm a microscopist before a biologist. Mr. Pants is the real expert on these things. I'm really happy he chimed in as well.

Thank you for sending me this awesome sample!

Very cool.... but also made me angry... seeing those hell spawn.... they look smug to me! :furious:

lol! Thank you Tamberav. I think they look so innocent how they move around. I guess smug IS a good description for the little F-ers.

It's been since 5/17 that the nems were moved into the 20g and 34g. I keep wondering when it's going to show up. Those are both though more established tanks, from Oct and Nov 2013.

I hope they don't return for you, but if you do see a little, don't panic. I suggest just going for a 72 hour black out and large water change. If you see them poke back up again, repeat.

I've learnt more facts about biology than my science class this year and last year combined.

Thanks 1pointOh!

That's why I love microscopy! You get to actually look at all the cool stuff rather than just studying it.

Very cool thread Mr. M keep up the good work. And yep those are the lil bastages that shut down my tank as well. :angry:

Thank you Pinner! Sorry to hear about your tank though. I hope you're able to reload soon.

Your phytoplanktonic ball looks to be one of the volvocales, as for anything more specific I can't help you at present, the quest for knowledge is an unending journey. I love the pictures you got, keep up the good work, I like the video you got where the dino is swimming, all Spinny and funny.

Our oceans are full of beauty and surprises

Nope, it's motile. Again, HD will show the flagellae.

Thank you! This sample has it all!

Woh! Cool. Thank you for the ID on this. Very interesting. I can't do anything about these samples now, but I'd love to do some SEM on sponge spicules. I've seen them in sea urchins though via cryo SEM. Very interesting stuff.

Well look at that. He's definitely still swimming. I guess you caught it mid encystment.

You can find sponge spicules in all our tanks. Its one of the main things that jumps out at you when looking through sand from a reef tank. this shape in particular really jumps out to the eye. IIRC traditional taxonomy of sponges involves dissolving a sponge so you can get a look at the spicules and then carefully cataloging which shapes are present. So there are neat images where taxonomists have carefully laid out the spicules present in various sponges. It always reminds me of the way you'd sort out your legos before assembling the set.

Not good for Annette, but very nice images! Its too bad dinos are such a nightmare in our tanks, because they're pretty awesome to view with a microscope. Nice work as always, Mr. M :)

While we usually talk about "dinos" in reference to a handful of these bad guys (Ostreopsis, Gambierdiscus, Prorocentrum, Amphidinium) its important to remember that Zooxanthellae are dinoflagellates as well. Remember also that corals are animals; it is their endosymbiotic dinoflagellates that do photosynthesis and thus fix the carbon necessary to build calcium carbonate skeletons fast. We wouldn't have coral reefs without dinos.

Mr. Microscope

Well look at that. He's definitely still swimming. I guess you caught it mid encystment.

Zombie Dino!

You can find sponge spicules in all our tanks. Its one of the main things that jumps out at you when looking through sand from a reef tank. this shape in particular really jumps out to the eye. IIRC traditional taxonomy of sponges involves dissolving a sponge so you can get a look at the spicules and then carefully cataloging which shapes are present. So there are neat images where taxonomists have carefully laid out the spicules present in various sponges. It always reminds me of the way you'd sort out your legos before assembling the set.

You've got me wanting to find some sponges in my tank. I'm pretty sure I have a few. What is the protocol for dissolving a sponge?

While we usually talk about "dinos" in reference to a handful of these bad guys (Ostreopsis, Gambierdiscus, Prorocentrum, Amphidinium) its important to remember that Zooxanthellae are dinoflagellates as well. Remember also that corals are animals; it is their endosymbiotic dinoflagellates that do photosynthesis and thus fix the carbon necessary to build calcium carbonate skeletons fast. We wouldn't have coral reefs without dinos.

:)

What is the protocol for dissolving a sponge?

:)

I've never done it but a quick google search turned up this protocol:

http://species-identification.org/species.php?species_group=sponges&menuentry=inleiding&id=18&tab=foto

1. Cut a small portion of ectosome and choanosome (3 cubic mm) on petri dish, and place in eppendorf (rinse off utensils between specimens). Label lid eppendorf with specimen number.

2. Half fill each eppendorf with bleach and let sit for 30-60 minutes depending on the consistency of the sponge.

NOTE: If you don't need a permanent mount of your spicules, you can look at the spicule- bleach suspension pipetted out of the eppendorf and spread on a slide topped with a coverslip. The slide can then be washed and re-used.

3. Pipette off as much bleach carefully as possible without disturbing dissolved tissue and spicules.

4. Squirt in water to carefully resuspend spicules; let spicules settle over 10-15 minutes; repeat several times.

5. Pipette off water as in step 3 and refill with 100% ethanol to resuspend spicules.

6. Aspirate spicule suspension into pipette.

7. Gently squirt onto warming slide, spread around a little with pipette tip, dry off ethanol, add mounting medium, and add a coverslip.

Archived