Pod Your Reef

Lee's 40 Gallon Breeder (Retiring)

Lee Van Reef

Well worth it imo. I had to just suck it up and do it though, since the price can be a little hard to justify at first.

Looks awesome....

Where did you get your dry rock from? ...not sure if you mentioned it and if you did, I'm sorry.

Bulk reef supply pukani rock. That's only about 25 pounds of rock too!

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks!!

I'm really liking the look of the Pukani dry rock more and more. I've seen several photos of it now and I'm leaning towards this option for my 40B, as well.

I'm thinking about using the dry rock for the main display and then putting some decent / higher quality pieces of live rock to help seed. Haven't decided what to do yet for the live rock, but I've got a few ideas on the back burner.

Thanks!!

I'm really liking the look of the Pukani dry rock more and more. I've seen several photos of it now and I'm leaning towards this option for my 40B, as well.

I'm thinking about using the dry rock for the main display and then putting some decent / higher quality pieces of live rock to help seed. Haven't decided what to do yet for the live rock, but I've got a few ideas on the back burner.

I highly recommend the pukani rock. Its a great bang for your buck with how light and porous it is and it looks freakin amazing. The only complaint that I have is that it is really dirty rock. My cycle took a while and when it was set and done I had nitrates through the roof.

Some recommend you cure it separately so that might be an option.

I only used about two pounds of well established live rock to get things going. My tank is now covered in copepods and some feather dusters that hitchhiked along.

I highly recommend the pukani rock. Its a great bang for your buck with how light and porous it is and it looks freakin amazing. The only complaint that I have is that it is really dirty rock. My cycle took a while and when it was set and done I had nitrates through the roof.

I've heard the same thing about the rock from BRS... I was watching a few different vids on YouTube about the 1:1 vinegar/RO bath to cure and thinking this is the way I'm going to go. I'm not too worried about rushing the cycle, but definitely would rather have things been as clean as possible.

Did you do a vinegar bath for yours?

I've heard the same thing about the rock from BRS... I was watching a few different vids on YouTube about the 1:1 vinegar/RO bath to cure and thinking this is the way I'm going to go. I'm not too worried about rushing the cycle, but definitely would rather have things been as clean as possible.

Did you do a vinegar bath for yours?

No. Me being the derp that I am just tossed them in the display and started filling ( I was excited to finally have my tank going, you know?).

After i got the nitrates down, I had some algae issues but my yellow tang mowed it down.

Oops, did I let that slip? :P

heh heh.... well, at least you got the algae under control.

I figured, I'd try and avoid that whole ton-'o-algae-buy-yellow-tang process and simply boil the rocks in vinegar / RO water and see what happens. Sounds like a lot of people have really done pretty well with that curing process.

heh heh.... well, at least you got the algae under control.

I figured, I'd try and avoid that whole ton-'o-algae-buy-yellow-tang process and simply boil the rocks in vinegar / RO water and see what happens. Sounds like a lot of people have really done pretty well with that curing process.

Yea I'm sure that will work just fine. I got the tang because i always wanted one though lol. It'll be moved out in a year or so though.

Got an order in from reefs2go yesterday.

Ordered a Small Purple Sea whip, a duncan coral, a few hermits and a Green bubble tip anemone.

All in all it was a decent order. The Purple sea whip is HUGE. I can't imagine where I would have put a medium one. The Duncan coral was really lack luster. It was a singular polyp of the branching variety. The hermits were pretty small, but there were a few extras. The GBTA is pretty nice, a little bigger than advertised and it has some nice white speckling.

Saving up my cash now to order a 12 frag pack from pacific east aquaculture and then I'm gonna let this grow in for a while.

Current Stock list:

Fish

Yellow Tang (Haters gonna hate)

Misbar Clown

2 Green Chromis

Coral

Green Palythoa

Frogspawn Head (in the process of splitting)

Pom Pom Xenia

Some green zoa

Huge Green Goniopora colony (3-4 inches in diameter when polyps are pulled in.)

Duncan Coral

GBTA

purple sea whip

Lookin' forward to seeing updated pics of your new frags!!

My wife & I signed our lease agreement today for our new place which means one step closer to moving... and one step closer to finally gettin' some water in my tank. Still got a few more pieces of equipment to purchase + the usual plumbing accessories.

Lookin' forward to seeing updated pics of your new frags!!

My wife & I signed our lease agreement today for our new place which means one step closer to moving... and one step closer to finally gettin' some water in my tank. Still got a few more pieces of equipment to purchase + the usual plumbing accessories.

For sure! I'll need to borrow my girlfriends Iphone first though.

That's awesome! I'm currently looking for a new place with my girlfriend lol

Hopefully you get that thing wet soon, It's gonna blow mine outta the water! :happy:

photo1.jpg

The green flowerpot is finally starting to show some extension after a few days ! It's not as much as it was at the store, but ive read that they can be really temperamental. Hopefully it will be good by the end of the week.

• 3 weeks later...

Not much going on in the tank department. I got a great war coral frag and a clean up crew from john at reef cleaners.

Also, my RO filter flooded my bathroom and leaked into the room below mine. I was going to pay damages but when the maintenance guy saw what happened they waived it because apparently he keeps reef tanks too. lol

Yea, it wad pretty lucky. I'll try and get one up soon, I'm been pretty busy lately and there's nothing really new..... for now

• 4 weeks later...
Lee Van Reef

Lost my nem over spring break :( everything else is doing fine and the diatoms seemed to have gone completely. Took out a ton of sand last weekend too.

In other news, i got another snake. Baby Common Boa

562392_3517170654404_1426121981_33276492_1577741052_n.jpg

Archived