ReefCleaners.org

Lee's 40 Gallon Breeder (Retiring)

Lee Van Reef

Very similar specs. I use the same bulbs.. haha. Front to back - blue+, aquablue special, blue+, kz fiji purple, aquablue special, blue+.. think this is a good combo for a 14k-ish look.

I've got mine in the same order lol

I love the color from it! I thought I would like it bluer, but I think I like it the way it is. Do you find that any coral colors look washed out or lack pop with it though?

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've got mine in the same order lol

I love the color from it! I thought I would like it bluer, but I think I like it the way it is. Do you find that any coral colors look washed out or lack pop with it though?

I ran a 6500k bulb in place of one of the blue+ before.. and it looked washed out, but it's a more of a 10k look with that. I think 3 blue+ is the perfect amount of blue to give you pop and still not be overly blue. I prefer the 10k look, but coral just doesn't pop. So, 14k-ish is where I like my lighting now.

I put my metal halides with radiums on the other day to see the difference, and my corals looked washed out with them on. But then again, the radiums only have about 2 hours on the bulbs.. so, they're not even broken in yet.

I ran a 6500k bulb in place of one of the blue+ before.. and it looked washed out, but it's a more of a 10k look with that. I think 3 blue+ is the perfect amount of blue to give you pop and still not be overly blue. I prefer the 10k look, but coral just doesn't pop. So, 14k-ish is where I like my lighting now.

I put my metal halides with radiums on the other day to see the difference, and my corals looked washed out with them on. But then again, the radiums only have about 2 hours on the bulbs.. so, they're not even broken in yet.

Awesome! I was considering a 6500k for growth, but decided against it.

Hopefully my corals look as nice as yours.

Also: Leggo!

If you don't have algae issues, it'll be beneficial to go with the 6500k.. I got a small bloom with it.. but I may switch back for growth after my chaeto establishes itself.. got a new 6500k bulb for the chaeto coming in that should grow it better than my 10k fuge bulb right now.

If you don't have algae issues, it'll be beneficial to go with the 6500k.. I got a small bloom with it.. but I may switch back for growth after my chaeto establishes itself.. got a new 6500k bulb for the chaeto coming in that should grow it better than my 10k fuge bulb right now.

I might buy one to have it to switch out if I want. I wasn't planning on running a fuge though. I just don't see it being very effective in the amount of space I can give it.

I might buy one to have it to switch out if I want. I wasn't planning on running a fuge though. I just don't see it being very effective in the amount of space I can give it.

Yeah, I don't have a DSB type fuge, but more like live rock and chaeto area.. the macro algae helps a bit. I could probably get rid of it, and there really wouldn't be much fluctuation, but it does help to have a little extra buffer for nitrate/phos reduction.

Cycling still going. No plan to add anything till after new years. Lots of white stringy stuff on the rocks though. Damn decaying matter.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks!

So here are the specs:

• 40 gallon Breeder, drilled 2 3/4 returns and herbie drain
  • Quiet One 4000 return
  • 2 Kroalia evo 750
  • Tek light 6x39watt 3 Blue+, 2 Aquablue special, 1 purple plus
  • Reef Octopus Nwb-110
  • 20 Gallon sump
  • 30 pounds of BRS Pukani Rock
  • 60-70 pounds play sand

Just changed my stock T5 bulbs out to the same combo - love the new color :D

Just changed my stock T5 bulbs out to the same combo - love the new color :D

I think the color is great! Glad you liked it too!

Those rocks look like they have lots of coral placing places :D

Looking awesome!

I absolutely love the rock. I already have so many plans for coral its driving me insane!

Thanks so much!

Gawdammit, Lee.... That 'scape is incredible! :eek:

It has so much motion to it...

The rocks just kinda feel together that way. Pukani rocks are the ish.

lol yea all the motion of dead baby.

Cycling from dry is boring and long!

Still waiting on my controller to ship. I order from Tb aquatics and got a great deal. The only sad part is that its back ordered. But, paying 346 for an apex lite with a free ph probe is worth the extra wait!

Lee Van Reef

Still waiting on the controller to come back in stock <_<

On a side note, the tank is done cycling. It just has 20 ppm nitrates which are going to be a pain to bring down. I've changed 20 gallons of water though, so I'll test later and see where i'm at.

Lee Van Reef
50% WC.

:cha-ching:

I've done basically that with the 20 gallon water changes. The whole system is only about 50 galllons. I might do another 10 gallons later.

That being said, I moved over a hammer coral and some palys and they both look great. fingerscrossed

Archived