Cultivated Reef

Jamie's TEMPERATE 5.5

Jamie

AquaticEngineer
Waterfall sealant for ponds - same stuff aquatic engineer is using in his setup. It's basically an expanding spray foam that you can shape/texturize/etc.

I used the Great Stuff Pond and Stone Touch N' Foam. I found mine locally at Bi-Mart for $4.39 a can. If you end up using as many cans as I did this is a really good price :lol:

LandScape.png

http://www.touch-n-foam.com/landscape.php

***Edited because I cant remember anything after all the spray foam fumes :wacko: ***

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely a better deal than I got - I bet it's basically the same stuff though. For the record, home depot doesn't carry it - that's where I went, and they're great stuff expert didn't know what I was talking about, but sent me to the pond section, where I found my stuff.

AquaticEngineer

Yeah the Great Stuff is hella expensive.

The other stuff I used was called " Touch N' Foam". Its identical to the Great Stuff Pond and Foam and was actually the what I found at Bi-Mart for $4.39 a can. :blush: See my above edited post for info.

Go with the Touch N' Foam if you can find it.

Haha, nice. Either way still cheaper than live rock! Well, that is, if you have to pay for your live rock. But, you know... whatever.

AquaticEngineer
Haha, nice. Either way still cheaper than live rock! Well, that is, if you have to pay for your live rock. But, you know... whatever.

I guess its better for the environment also, since we dont have to harvest as much rock if we make it ourselves.

I just use like 20+ aerosal cans of spray foam though :lol:

Exactly! But wow, 20 cans? I think I used like, and eighth of mine. I guess your tank is a little bit bigger though. :P

Haha, if I tried to dig a 5 inch cave into my little ledge there would be nothing left!

So, I'm housesitting for a friend who lives at the beach this week, and we just happen to be on a great low tide series. YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS!

Day 1. 6:05 am, -0.5 ft.

Manzanita

Manzanita is funny - some days it seems completely barren and you see nothing at all, but then there are also days like today, which are positively magical. :)

It all started with an eagle eating a wolf eel as I was walking up to the rocks. Now if that isn't a good omen, I don't know what is. He took off before I good get a good picture, but I managed this from far away:

DSC_0079-6.jpg

There was a lot of kelp

DSC_0086-3.jpg

And A LOT of ochre sea stars (Pisaster ochraceus)

DSC_0089-4.jpg

DSC_0093-3.jpg

DSC_0096-2.jpg

A sea lemon nudibranch (Anisodoris nobilis) chowing down on an encrusting sponge.

DSC_0094-6.jpg

A sunflower star! These guys eat other star fish (among other things), but don't have enough internal structure to leave the water. If you ever see one - pick it up! They're surprisingly soft/floppy.

DSC_0095-2.jpg

um, yeah. Take what you will from this picture:

DSC_0099-4.jpg

when star fish attack!

DSC_0101-4.jpg

After narrowly escaping those tenacious tube feet, I went on to find THE BIGGEST PRICKLEBACK EVER. 14 inches plus. It was a monster. Here's a picture in a 1 gallon jug, which should give you some sense of scale.

DSC_0103-5.jpg

macro time! a katy chiton (Katharina tunicata)

DSC_0108-3.jpg

more sea lemons!

DSC_0109-7.jpg

sea star up close

DSC_0113-3.jpg

A kelp crab I scooped up inadvertently in my net.

DSC_0116-3.jpg

A last look at the rocks before heading home.

DSC_0125-2.jpg

And a bit of sunlight streaming through the forest on the way back to the car.

DSC_0127-5.jpg

Thanks for looking! Check back in tomorrow for day 2!

Ughhhhh, so jealous. Wish I was out tidepooling instead of working at a bank :(

Sorry :( . But just think of how much gas money you're getting for trips to the coast!

Wow cool stuff! I've never seen those Sea Lemons in the wild before, but it seems over there there's lots of them!

There certainly were today! They're pretty cool looking, I wish I had an endless supply of sponge to feed them.

AquaticEngineer
Sorry :( . But just think of how much gas money you're getting for trips to the coast!

Funny thing is, we just recently traded in our 2004 V8 VW Touraeg for a 2010 Subaru Outback. In the back of my mind all I could think about was how much more room, how much better mileage it got, and how awesome that would make trips to the coast to go collecting :lol:

There certainly were today! They're pretty cool looking, I wish I had an endless supply of sponge to feed them.

Soon enough you can come over to my place to get food for your sea lemons, I plan on have a retarded amount of sponge in my tank :D

Funny thing is, we just recently traded in our 2004 V8 VW Touraeg for a 2010 Subaru Outback. In the back of my mind all I could think about was how much more room, how much better mileage it got, and how awesome that would make trips to the coast to go collecting :lol:

Soon enough you can come over to my place to get food for your sea lemons, I plan on have a retarded amount of sponge in my tank :D

THAT'S MY CAR! Well, like '08 or something. And now it's my sisters because she's older. <_< But subaru's are awesome. :D

stunning photos! post more plz

Thanks! I'm sorry to say, though I've let you guys down today. In all the excitement/groggy 5:45 am-ness, I remembered my camera, but forgot my sd card! So, unfortunately, no pics of today, but it was so foggy I don't think they would have been great anyway, but I have a little to show you, so here goes:

Day 2. 6:45 am, -0.9 ft.

Arcadia Beach and South Cannon Beach

Haystack Rock and Cannon Beach is a huge destination for tidepoolers (according to Cannon Beach's website, it gets over 200,000 tourists a year), and is (quite fortunately - that's a lot of visitors!) designated as a marine garden, meaning harvesting of anything at all is illegal. Fortunately, there are several other sea stacks to the south that almost no one ever visits - hence, no need for protection! These overlooked rocks were my destination today, and I wasn't disappointed.

It was a great day for invertebrates, and random passes through the kelp with my net ended up catching me quite a few shrimp. I kept four of them - three different color morphs of what appears to be a highly variable species - Sitka shrimp (Heptacarpus sitchensis). Also, in one swipe I caught one of my favorite fish - a gunnel that I see here all the time, but haven't been able to identify - which is also coming home with me. Finally I turned over a few rocks to find a good-sized porcelain crab to complete the menagerie. Here's a few pictures from once I got home. Notice the distinctive horizontal band on the gunnel's face. No gunnel I can find online has this! Maybe it's just a juvenile thing? I've never found a big one...

DSC_0016-6.jpg

DSC_0018-5.jpg

Thanks for looking! Hopefully I remember my camera tomorrow and can give you a more thorough update. :P

AquaticEngineer

We caught several of those shrimp down in oceanside, they will change color as they molt. New carapace color is green, old is red / brown. Really cool when you catch one that is half molted though and is half green and half red :D

The gunnel you got there is just like one I caught in the kelp beds down in oceanside, I ID'd it as a PHOLIS SCHULTZI

http://www.elasmodiver.com/Red_Gunnel_Pictures.htm

Red_Gunnel_002.jpg

Red_Gunnel_006.jpg

Red_Gunnel_005.jpg

Red_Gunnel_003.jpg

:wub:

:D

We caught several of those shrimp down in oceanside, they will change color as they molt. New carapace color is green, old is red / brown. Really cool when you catch one that is half molted though and is half green and half red :D

The gunnel you got there is just like one I caught in the kelp beds down in oceanside, I ID'd it as a PHOLIS SCHULTZI

Cool! I have to say though, the gunnel is definitely not Pholis schultzi, the band on the face is horizontal, not vertical. The problem is - all the pictures of gunnels I can find have vertical eye bands. Keep looking though! :)

oop, you inspired me to do a little more searching, and I found it. Seems to be the juvenile form of the penpoint gunnel. The horizontal band fades and the vertical band comes in as it ages. here's a baby that looks just like mine:

Penpoint_Gunnel_016.jpg

and here's a transitional one:

apodichthys-flavidus-penpoint-gunnel-photo-13716-489232.jpg

AquaticEngineer

NICE!! That is totally your gunnel :D

I was really hoping you found another spot to collect the Schultzi's though ;)

I've only found one so far and my buddy Josh has him becuase he was to small for my tank :(

When are you going to be back in town? I have this whole weekend off while my wife is in Sunriver. I have the kids though so I cant really go anywhere cool :( But if you wanna come over and chat and checkout the tanks I'll probably be working on them all weekend.

Yeah, based on image search they look really diverse colorwise. Hopefully they do well!

NICE!! That is totally your gunnel :D

I was really hoping you found another spot to collect the Schultzi's though ;)

I've only found one so far and my buddy Josh has him becuase he was to small for my tank :(

When are you going to be back in town? I have this whole weekend off while my wife is in Sunriver. I have the kids though so I cant really go anywhere cool :( But if you wanna come over and chat and checkout the tanks I'll probably be working on them all weekend.

Hmm, perhaps... though between driving back from the beach on saturday, and then driving back down to woodburn on Monday to get my chiller, I don't know if I'll be able to stand any more driving. OR spend any more money on gas, lol. Me and my sister share a car, but she's got it in Eugene right now, so I've been driving the truck, which gets, like 12 miles a gallon. It cost $80 to fill it last time. :scarry: I'll let you know what I'm thinking later tomorrow though, maybe I'll feel energetic.

Between fishbase.org, and http://www.elasmodiver.com/Fish_Pictures.htm I've been abel to ID most of what I've caught from my phone on the beach, lol. Gotta love technology, :lol:

Wow, that fishbase search engine is awesome!

AquaticEngineer

I usually use fishbase find the name of what I'm looking for, and then google images to find the picture of it.

Yeah, they do seem to be a little short on pictures... <_< Still awesome though!

Aight, here it is:

Day 3. 7:22 am, -1.1 ft.

Barview

Hands down the best place I've been to for collecting A. elegantissima, which is exactly what I wanted to do today! Diadumene lineata is another little anemone that's found here, but it's much harder to spot. I got a ton of elegants and a few lineatas as well, all on some beautiful sponge encrusted rocks. I'm not really counting on the sponges to hang around for very long, but I will be auto feeding phyto and rotifers 4 times a day, so maybe it'll work out, we'll see! Also got some EXCELLENT mud from Nehalem Bay for my DSB! It's gonna be sweet! :D

Pics are, unfortunately, not of what I was collecting, basically because most of the stuff here lives in the cracks and crevices, or under rocks... it's not the easiest place for a photographer. But what was out and about were shore crabs!

East

DSC_0018-6.jpg

West

DSC_0019-5.jpg

Purple shore crab

DSC_0006-6.jpg

Not sure about these guys yet. My crab expert is working on it, however. :P

DSC_0007-6.jpg

DSC_0016-7.jpg

DSC_0017-4.jpg

Anemones!

DSC_0015-7.jpg