Innovative Marine Aquariums

Paigee's 20L Extravaganza!

Paigee

Personally, I think most everyone's tank suffers in the summer months. We spend more time outdoors rather than staring at our tanks. Less attention equals problems. Happens to me every year :lol:

Haha true... Except here in Vancouver our weather has been less than great... We have had the coldest June on record I think! Only a few days where we could break out the shorts. Pretty disappointing. We've actually had a lot of trouble with flooding in the interior of BC.

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMG. i was on page 16 when you started doing the vinegar bath on your live rocks and now it's page 36.. I gotta go back and read again. :/

But how goes the tank so far missy!

Hey Paigge, how is your yuma doing??

The yuma is good! Still bright green and purple and pretty :D

OMG. i was on page 16 when you started doing the vinegar bath on your live rocks and now it's page 36.. I gotta go back and read again. :/

But how goes the tank so far missy!

Haha you certainly have fallen behind! Shame!! Haha just kidding! The tank is alright, going through a kind of blah stage right now. I've got a big list of things in mind that I need to buy, but spending money on things that aren't corals or fish is harder to do :P

------------

I also have a theory on why I got a random outbreak of algae (although this theory does not explain why it only grows on the new rock and the glass/acrylic) -

I changed my lightbulbs out to the second set the seller sent with the fixture, and after thinking about it, these bulbs are older, maybe 6 months used by the previous owner. Perhaps because of their age they are producing algae?? New bulbs are on the agenda.

I can't get ATI bulbs locally though, but I can get Geisemann. There is one Canadian site that sells ATI, but I'm not sure about a guarantee on shipping, and I don't want to flush $100 if the bulbs get broken. I contacted the company and never heard back, which adds to my suspicion that I would be SOL if the bulbs broke! So right now I'm looking at getting Giesemann...

This combo ok?

Giesemann actinic +

Kz figi purple

G.. aquablue

G... actinic +

There is also URL bulbs available, but I could only find UVL bulb reviews online?

Ok so I got the two new bulbs today, the aqua blue and the kz figi purple. Wanted to break up the bill a bit, so I'll get the two actinic bulbs next month :)

Also got the Berghia, but it's been hiding all day because of the lights. Hopefully in the morning I will notice a few empty places where aiptasia used to be :)

The aglae has also gone down on it's own, possibly because I added one of my koralias into the tank. The mj400 just wasn't cutting it for flow. Also, the slimer is slowly increasing in color!! The browned out side is getting greener all the time and green polyps are showing a little. Yay :)

Deleted User 4

Good to know. Maybe some pictures of an update? I want to see what's in your tank right now, all combined ahah.

Everything still looks the same! I'm trying to work up the guts to transfer the rainbow monti and acro, I'm afraid to mess them up! I also want to place my corals but can't decide where to put them

Hmmm... Just found out a place in Edmonton (next province over) has a pink streaked wrasse in stock. Sent them a message asking about shipping costs and arrive alive guarantees. I'll keep you updated!

chrssprngs

Sounds like you are working through the "blah" stage and heading towards the "I love the way my tank looks" stage. Good for you. Do you have just one berghia? I am looking at getting some for my tank. Tired of Aptasia X. Seems like its just a cat and mouse game. Kill one here, two pop up over there. From what I have read the Berghias are colonial and like to hunt in groups.

Sounds like you are working through the "blah" stage and heading towards the "I love the way my tank looks" stage. Good for you. Do you have just one berghia? I am looking at getting some for my tank. Tired of Aptasia X. Seems like its just a cat and mouse game. Kill one here, two pop up over there. From what I have read the Berghias are colonial and like to hunt in groups.

I tried to read up a bit before buying, and I read that the amount you needed depended on the number of aiptasia you have. Since I have a small tank with a moderate aiptasia problem, I figured I would start with one. The person at the LFS said the reason most people get 2 is so that they'll breed, but I don't want a whole bunch because I don't have THAT many aiptasia. I hope this one comes out of hiding soon :( If it doesn't work out, I'll buy two on the next go.

And yes, the tank is out of the bleh stage! Haha I have noticed a big increase in pod population, which is great. My acans are growing new heads, one of them is getting to be a pretty fair size. I need to get my zoas placed on the rocks as well because they are starting to grow over the sand!

Ok so I've been messaging back and forth with the store that has the PSW, and so far the cost of the fish is $70 and he has to get back to me with the shipping cost...

This is turning into an expensive fish.

yeah sometime its not worth and sometime if you want it really bad, then it is worth it. :)

That's what I'm trying to decide, if it's worth it or not! :(

Some pics :)

A marked improvement in the slimer

33e0c839.jpg

Compared to this a few weeks ago

DSCN0419.jpg

Edgar is so camera shy... It's annoying cuz hes so cute! And he hides when other people come to see him

691031be.jpg

This pic shows Gilbert (ever the camera hog), the good job the snails are doing of cleaning the back glass, and the growing aiptasia population

9b858f80.jpg

Finally, the rics/Yuma. The pink one in the back is splitting and the one on the far left grew another mouth

aabf1133.jpg

chrssprngs

Wow, that really colored up. Got my Berghias Tuesday. I put 4 in my 20L. That pink wrasse you are contemplating will make lunch out of your nudi.

Chris

If you get a peppermint shrimp, the aptasia will be pretty well controlled. They might take a while, but they'll eat every single one.

Nice update! that slimer is definitely looking better :) , still love those rics

Thank you :)

Wow, that really colored up. Got my Berghias Tuesday. I put 4 in my 20L. That pink wrasse you are contemplating will make lunch out of your nudi.

Chris

I'm beginning to think that the berghia didn't make it. I haven't seen it in over a week and there is no difference in the aiptasia population. If anything there is more of them. Hmph.

If you get a peppermint shrimp, the aptasia will be pretty well controlled. They might take a while, but they'll eat every single one.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm just afraid of the shrimp eating my corals.

-----------

So I went to the LFS closest to my house today to take a look, was just planning on getting something small. They had an AMAZING ultra wild brain (how is it ultra wild??) but it was $90, so I just drooled in the store. I did pick a nice zoa frag that was $10, and when the lady bagged it up, she told me I could just have it for free! It was so kind. She said she just likes to do that sometimes to see the surprise on people's faces. It made my day :)

Here is said frag:

78e14a36.jpg

And just for fun, I placed some corals. These aren't necessarily final, I just rested them on the rocks (fingers crossed snails don't knock them down)

Left side:

29936e30.jpg

Right side:

48928873.jpg

I've been thinking about the direction I want to go with corals in this tank... I'm feeling on the fence about some of the corals I have. I'm not sure how I feel about keeping my chalices in the long run. I'm worried they will start to encrust and take up too much room. But I think they grow really slowly though, so I'm on the fence. I feel like I want to keep maybe one or two that I really like, and focus more on zoas and acans, with a few select sps - I really like acros.

Just some thoughts :) If anyone has input, I'd love to hear!

My plans were to find a few things to go on the sand bed that I really like - I want a really nice fungia plate and a really nice brain, because I think they are beautiful. And I also want a nice euphylia, possibly a torch. Other than that, I'm thinking mainly LPS. And rics and yumas! Love those too.

I've been thinking about the direction I want to go with corals in this tank... I'm feeling on the fence about some of the corals I have. I'm not sure how I feel about keeping my chalices in the long run. I'm worried they will start to encrust and take up too much room. But I think they grow really slowly though, so I'm on the fence. I feel like I want to keep maybe one or two that I really like, and focus more on zoas and acans, with a few select sps - I really like acros.

Just some thoughts :) If anyone has input, I'd love to hear!

My plans were to find a few things to go on the sand bed that I really like - I want a really nice fungia plate and a really nice brain, because I think they are beautiful. And I also want a nice euphylia, possibly a torch. Other than that, I'm thinking mainly LPS. And rics and yumas! Love those too.

Been a while since I checked this thread out since I've been so busy! I love how that slimer has colored up. Green slimers are some of the brightest SPS I've seen.

I know what you're saying about your chalices. I don't know if I'm going to keep mine much longer either. I love them but the one I have has been brown since I got it. Nothing I have done has made it color up in the slightest. It's an eye-sore, and on top of that, it's just sucking up more alk/ca, which means I have to dose more.

I would also recommend getting only a few select SPS unless you're willing to start dosing pretty heavily. Maybe a couple really nice, slow growing (so they don't suck up as much alk/ca) acropora like a tortuosa or anything deep-water. Keep in mind the slower growing SPS are usually more expensive. And +1 to the euphyllia idea! I love them. They're a great substitute for an anemone if you don't have one. They add a lot of life and movement to a tank IMO.

Deleted User 4

I think zoas/palys grow faster than chalices imo. As for my input, I would keep the chalice if it's small and if it's over exceeding its size, then get rid of it ahah.

Could we see some more pictures of your chalices?? :happy:

Been a while since I checked this thread out since I've been so busy! I love how that slimer has colored up. Green slimers are some of the brightest SPS I've seen.

I know what you're saying about your chalices. I don't know if I'm going to keep mine much longer either. I love them but the one I have has been brown since I got it. Nothing I have done has made it color up in the slightest. It's an eye-sore, and on top of that, it's just sucking up more alk/ca, which means I have to dose more.

I would also recommend getting only a few select SPS unless you're willing to start dosing pretty heavily. Maybe a couple really nice, slow growing (so they don't suck up as much alk/ca) acropora like a tortuosa or anything deep-water. Keep in mind the slower growing SPS are usually more expensive. And +1 to the euphyllia idea! I love them. They're a great substitute for an anemone if you don't have one. They add a lot of life and movement to a tank IMO.

Welcome back :) I might keep one or two chalices, but I feel like I might trade one in for store credit. Same with one frag of palys I bought online, they're a nice pink but they're pretty washed out. Not what they looked like online! I want more acans.

+1 on euphyllia adding nice movement to the tank :) I really like torches

I think zoas/palys grow faster than chalices imo. As for my input, I would keep the chalice if it's small and if it's over exceeding its size, then get rid of it ahah.

Could we see some more pictures of your chalices??

Thanks for stopping in again :) zoas do grow faster, and I like them because they are more vibrant than my chalices. As Matt mentioned, they also require less nutrients. I'll pick my favorite (or two) and trade in the other(s). I'll try and post a pic soon, lights are off now!

Deleted User 4

Yeah, I agree with you now that your clever mouth has spoken its sweet and truthful words. I totally agree!!! :lol:

Well I'm convinced that the Berghia nudi did not make it, there was absolutely no change in aiptasia population. Took matters into my own hands today and put a small amount of epoxy over every one I could see. Unconventional, but somewhat effective! I had about a 50% success rate with covering them. I know this is not a long term solution, but they were just getting so unsightly I had to do something. The epoxy is hardly noticeable, looks like a pink shade of coraline or something. Overall, I'm fairly pleased.

Also moved over my acro and rainbow monti (finally) from the 10. The acro looks good but I put the monti too high, it's bleaching a bit.

Thats all for now!

Archived