Innovative Marine Aquariums

Paigee's 20L Extravaganza!

Paigee

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok I'm a little late on this, but here are the promised pictures! They didn't turn out quite as well as I'd hoped, but there a couple decent ones! Still practicing using a "real" camera, my mom's Nikon Coolpix L120.

My kind of unhappy AOG paly's

DSCN0405.jpg

A really crisp shot of Gilbert :)

DSCN0406.jpg

The new flower petal monti (it should be noted that this was a fresh cut frag and this was taken the day after I got it, so it is still very discoloured, especially towards the fresh break):

This pic shows the polyps better

DSCN0410.jpg

And this pic shows the colour better

DSCN0411.jpg

Pink/teal zoas

DSCN0413.jpg

Still trying to get the colour right!

DSCN0415.jpg

Can you spy Edgar in the middle? This is one of his prime creeping locations

DSCN0418.jpg

And this is my other new frag, also a fresh cut and one side was elastic banded to styrofoam and that same side also fell into the sand when it slimed itself out of the epoxy, and genius me made that side face out. The back is much greener, and it has improved a little since. Slow progress though

DSCN0419.jpg

I can spot edgar in that picture!! :P

Haha he's silly

Nice pictures! Are you keeping track of your calcium and alkalinity levels now that you have those SPS?

No :unsure: Those two tests are next on my list of things to buy. I've been doing frequent water changes so I hope that's enough for now.

looking great paigee! B)

--------

I've been checking my email daily, still no luck on the pink streaked wrasse. Poop.

Well, I've been a bad reefer. I forgot to remind my boyfriend to top up the tank when our schedules didn't match up and caused a big salinity swing which put my little frag of birdsnest over the edge. Is dead :( Everything else is all shrively and unhappy, even the aiptasia :P

I'm going to do a water change right now, hopefully that will make things a little better. The new monti is looking pretty decent, the slimer still hasn't coloured up any more but that is likely due to the unstable water conditions. Top thing on my list of things to get is an ATO!

Other than that, nothing to report. I'm kinda bummed about the lost frag, but it hasn't been looking good for some time and I am not entirely surprised by its loss. I'll try again when the tank is more mature, or maybe not at all (I don't want to get into too many sps because I'd really like to avoid dosing).

Well, I've been a bad reefer. I forgot to remind my boyfriend to top up the tank when our schedules didn't match up and caused a big salinity swing which put my little frag of birdsnest over the edge. Is dead :( Everything else is all shrively and unhappy, even the aiptasia :P

I'm going to do a water change right now, hopefully that will make things a little better. The new monti is looking pretty decent, the slimer still hasn't coloured up any more but that is likely due to the unstable water conditions. Top thing on my list of things to get is an ATO!

Other than that, nothing to report. I'm kinda bummed about the lost frag, but it hasn't been looking good for some time and I am not entirely surprised by its loss. I'll try again when the tank is more mature, or maybe not at all (I don't want to get into too many sps because I'd really like to avoid dosing).

Sorry to hear about the birdsnest. I would send you a frag of mine to replace it but I doubt it would get past customs. :P I'm glad to hear you havent lost anything else though. Btw, I know it's different for every tank but I wouldn't expect that slimer to color up any time soon. Mine was brown for a month, but then in a matter of a few days it became neon green.

Also +1 on getting an ATO. I want one really badly but the Tunze Osmolator is $200... I know there are cheaper ones but the Tunze by far has the best reviews.

You always have such nice pics!

Personally I really like the Red Sea Pro test kits for Mg and Ca. I also have the Hanna Alk tester and really like it as well.

Great picture of Gilbert!!!! Sorry to hear about the loss and unhappiness going on. An ATO is such a helpful thing. You can dose kalkawasser in your top-off as well. That's what I'll be doing with my 28g to keep the ca/alk stable. Definitely get a test for those soon. Even coralline algae sucks up the alkalinity in your reef tank. I've been doing a lot of reading about alk lately and that's one of the tidbits I learned :)

Sorry to hear about the birdsnest. I would send you a frag of mine to replace it but I doubt it would get past customs. :P I'm glad to hear you havent lost anything else though. Btw, I know it's different for every tank but I wouldn't expect that slimer to color up any time soon. Mine was brown for a month, but then in a matter of a few days it became neon green.

Also +1 on getting an ATO. I want one really badly but the Tunze Osmolator is $200... I know there are cheaper ones but the Tunze by far has the best reviews.

Yeah I'm not too heartbroken about the birdsnest. And thanks for the tip about the slimer! I hope I can make it happy eventually. I think I might go for the JBJ... I've heard decent reviews and it's affordable.

You always have such nice pics!

Personally I really like the Red Sea Pro test kits for Mg and Ca. I also have the Hanna Alk tester and really like it as well.

Awe thanks for the compliment :) And thanks for the tip about the test kits!

Great picture of Gilbert!!!! Sorry to hear about the loss and unhappiness going on. An ATO is such a helpful thing. You can dose kalkawasser in your top-off as well. That's what I'll be doing with my 28g to keep the ca/alk stable. Definitely get a test for those soon. Even coralline algae sucks up the alkalinity in your reef tank. I've been doing a lot of reading about alk lately and that's one of the tidbits I learned :)

Good tip on the kalk! I hadn't really thought of that. I really need to get some test kits and such... Ugh.

Sorry for your loss, Paiggee!! Hope things are looking better soon.

Thank you! :) I'm sure things will turn around just fine

Good tip on the kalk! I hadn't really thought of that. I really need to get some test kits and such... Ugh.

You're welcome. Mine's on it's way to me...can't wait to get it and stabilize my tank!

Deleted User 4
I came over to my boyfriend's house today to find a great fuzzy algae bloom in full swing <_<

Oh joy.

Wait, your tank is at your boyfriend's house? :huh:

I thought your boyfriend doesn't know how to maintain a tank...lol

I came over to my boyfriend's house today to find a great fuzzy algae bloom in full swing <_<

Oh joy.

:o

....you'll get it corrected in no time :) What color is the fuzz? I've always liked the red/pink variety. I have some going on in my NC12 right now and I'm tempted to move it over to my 10g. But I'm also afraid I might regret it if I do. Hmmmm.....even the nuisance algaes can be pretty :)

Wait, your tank is at your boyfriend's house? :huh:

I thought your boyfriend doesn't know how to maintain a tank...lol

Yes it is! Because I live here like half the time :P he doesn't do anything but top up

:o

....you'll get it corrected in no time :) What color is the fuzz? I've always liked the red/pink variety. I have some going on in my NC12 right now and I'm tempted to move it over to my 10g. But I'm also afraid I might regret it if I do. Hmmmm.....even the nuisance algaes can be pretty :)

The fuzz is brown I think. Edgar really enjoys eating it :P

I'm thinking this new algae might be part of the new rock cycle? It is only growing on the rock that was dead... The mature seeded rock appears quite clean.

Anyone heard of something like this happening?

Well, I've read the dead rock harbors a lot of phosphates. People are cycling them in separate containers for a few months to get the phosphates out. That's probably why the fuzz is only on them. They are soaking up the phosphates from within the rock.

I've decided I'm never doing dry dead rock again because of this. I'll risk unwanted HH with the real stuff :)

surgicalsense
Thanks! And I wasn't sure if it was yours or Danielle's thread.. Knew it was one of them :) I'm glad to share!

The local beach here in Cali is called Leo Carillo in Ventura County. I routinely watch the tide reports for that perfect low tide ;) and have been trying to get Gena to get out there for the day :P

If you ever find yourself in the US on holiday, try to visit.

Well, I've read the dead rock harbors a lot of phosphates. People are cycling them in separate containers for a few months to get the phosphates out. That's probably why the fuzz is only on them. They are soaking up the phosphates from within the rock.

I've decided I'm never doing dry dead rock again because of this. I'll risk unwanted HH with the real stuff :)

I tested my tank for phosphates and came up with nothing... So I dunno! I soaked the rock in FW for a couple months prior to putting it in the tank as well. And this dead rock had also previously been used in someone else's reef. I thought the phosphates would have been gone! :(

I wish I had the answers to all of these reefing mysteries. As long as the fuzz isn't bryopsis, I don't think you have anything to worry about. It's probably just a normal algae cycle that will be worked through before too long.

It's probably just a normal algae cycle that will be worked through before too long.

+1. For the first 2-3 months my tank was up, I'd get random algae outbreaks that would come and go over the course of a week, maybe a week and a half. I think that's just another part of a new tank's cycle.

I wish I had the answers to all of these reefing mysteries. As long as the fuzz isn't bryopsis, I don't think you have anything to worry about. It's probably just a normal algae cycle that will be worked through before too long.

+1. For the first 2-3 months my tank was up, I'd get random algae outbreaks that would come and go over the course of a week, maybe a week and a half. I think that's just another part of a new tank's cycle.

Thanks for the encouragement guys! I am still waiting on my TDS meter to get to my house, it shipped from somewhere in Asia with eBay free shipping, so it could be a while.

My tank is going through a really blah stage, it looks very brown. The corals are all pissed, zoas only half open, an astrea knocked down the piece of monti off the rock so it's mad, and the slimer is still angry (although showing signs of polyps coming out on the browned out side).

I'm feeling really unmotivated right now, need to kick my butt into gear, do a water change and spruce things up! Scrub the walls maybe. I'll try and get a pic of the algae, it is brown and grows in small little tufts, all spaced pretty close together.

Personally, I think most everyone's tank suffers in the summer months. We spend more time outdoors rather than staring at our tanks. Less attention equals problems. Happens to me every year :lol:

Archived