inTank Media Baskets

Monochrome5's BioCube 29 HQI

Monochrome5

The_Fox_and_The_Hound_by_Monochrome5.jpg

She's a camera hog.

As far as SPS... not sure. I want a bit of everything I think. My uncle has a purple monti cap he's been trying to get to me, but he lives in the middle of Ohio. Eventually I'll get it haha. I really want a birdsnest, some acros, more acros, some monti caps, chalices... whatever I can get my hands on.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the shots of ur fish, especially the ones of your clown on page 1, what type of camera/lense are you using? and what setting. Every time i try to take pics with my D60 they turn out horribly

I love the shots of ur fish, especially the ones of your clown on page 1, what type of camera/lense are you using? and what setting. Every time i try to take pics with my D60 they turn out horribly

Nikon D80

Manual Shutter Control ("S" on the dial)

AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED Macro Lens

The thing about tanks is shooting through glass. Unfortunately the BC29 has a curved glass front, meaning 99% of what you shoot straight on will be blurry. I shoot through the flat sides and manually control my eV/ISO/Shutter to compensate for the intensity of the metal halide and speed of the fish.

hey man im am trying to get my 29 hqi all together ive had the help of a few other but was looking at your thread and have a question.. how did you custom make the media rack in the 2nd chamber? do you have pictures or materials used? i would rather mke mine then spend a bunch of money on intank media baket and fuge basket

I'm diggin' the scape you made here! Good depth and vision putting it together. I can't wait to see this in a few months with purply goodness growing on them all hehe. I've always been partial to the "mountain" approach in aquascaping though, that's probably why yours sticks out :P

What sorts of goodies are you leaning towards in the future?

hey man im am trying to get my 29 hqi all together ive had the help of a few other but was looking at your thread and have a question.. how did you custom make the media rack in the 2nd chamber? do you have pictures or materials used? i would rather mke mine then spend a bunch of money on intank media baket and fuge basket

I just used eggcrate ($8 at Lowes) held together with zip ties. I built something similar to a bookshelf - a big piece of eggcrate on the back with a few shelves to hold floss and chemipure-elite.

do you have the magnetic suction cup for the back of the powerhead in the first chamber along with the skimmer?...i tried to fit it and the aquaticlife 115 in the first chamber together but with that rubber magnetic back for the powerhead in there i couldnt get the skimmer to fit

do you have the magnetic suction cup for the back of the powerhead in the first chamber along with the skimmer?...i tried to fit it and the aquaticlife 115 in the first chamber together but with that rubber magnetic back for the powerhead in there i couldnt get the skimmer to fit

I sure do. It takes some finesse (and a little push) but it can be done without much trouble.

i know its prob not hard just trying to vision it.. so your media basket sits above the fuge some how?

Yeah. I'll try and grab a picture of it today so you can see what I mean. I'm going to pull it to clean the fuge during my WC this afternoon.

Great scape. Seems like I can never get mine the way I want it. Do you have. Any issues with heat? I'm thinking about switching back to MH. I just miss the color, but it got so hot under that glass...

• 2 weeks later...
Great scape. Seems like I can never get mine the way I want it. Do you have. Any issues with heat? I'm thinking about switching back to MH. I just miss the color, but it got so hot under that glass...

Not at all. Run a smooth 78 all day. It helps that my air conditioning vent is right above the tank and angled at it.

Yeah. I'll try and grab a picture of it today so you can see what I mean. I'm going to pull it to clean the fuge during my WC this afternoon.

Sorry for the delay mate. Here are a couple shots so you can see how it goes. The side without the eggcrate goes toward the window of the fuge. It keeps my chemi-pure (two half units) sitting above the window and floss sits on top of them. Please excuse my super long ET fingers...

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0001-1.jpg

Also, Gregg (my hifin perchlet) says hello, fellow nano reefers!

DSC_0017-1.jpg

thank you very much man that helps out.. im prob gona make something like that or run the chemipure under the false floor in chamber two.. not sure how the flow will be tho..

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm back!

Sorry for the MASSIVE delay... but a ton has happened and I lost touch with this wonderful forum. To make an incredibly long story short, this tank crashed and crashed hard. I woke up Christmas eve to find my heater had short circuited and my tank temp was 97.8F. The heater oozed out a yellowish, waxy substance (I was told some sort of lipid that insulated the heating element) and everything in the tank was cooked alive. One little head of frogspawn, my alardii clownfish Memphis (who I'm convinced could survive a nuclear holocaust), and Gregg the perchlet we're the lone survivors. I moved them to a 20g tank I had sitting around and kept them on fishy life-support for a few months while I rebuilt. New sand/rock, cycled, then added the survivors. I left it empty of everything else until about May, as my lease was up and I moved to a new apartment. I'm now happy to report the tank is doing wonderfully. Loads of new additions, some familiar faces, and I couldn't be happier. I'll post pictures on Wednesday when I finally get a day off of work! It's good to be back!

Wow that's terrible. I'd be so pissed. Glad to hear you've got it all working again. What heater were you using? Can't wait to see some pics.

Hey Kyle. Really sorry to hear about the crash...I was wondering why I hadn't heard from you in a while. You should have called and I would have held your fish and any surviving coral for you.

Glad to see you back around here. Looking forward to seeing things. Let me know if I can help in any way.

You're still in Charleston, right?

-Adam

Hey Kyle. Really sorry to hear about the crash...I was wondering why I hadn't heard from you in a while. You should have called and I would have held your fish and any surviving coral for you.

Glad to see you back around here. Looking forward to seeing things. Let me know if I can help in any way.

You're still in Charleston, right?

-Adam

Hey Adam!!

Your old 20H actually saved the day when my heater exploded. I set it on my kitchen table, switched my ceiling fan to screw-in 50/50 PC bulbs, and threw a filter on it for a rescue tank. Worked like a charm. Which reminds me, I still have your 20H hahahahaha. I'd love to swing by the new place to return it and oggle your beautiful new tank! Which also reminds me, I moved! Still in West Ashley, but in a much nicer apartment! You need to come check it out!

Also, I promised pictures today... but last night I decided to strip my entire aquarium and re-aquascape it! I pulled half my corals off, got some new rock, and moved everything. Pictures will now be FRIDAY (since I'm waiting for the corals to stop being pissed haha).

Archived