ReefCleaners.org

Monochrome5's BioCube 29 HQI

Monochrome5

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Huge update time! Sorry for the delay on the pictures, but I've had a nasty sinus infection and ear infection the past week. Barely been able to breathe haha. But enough of my chatting... PEECHURS!!

Memphis (Allardi clown)

Memphis.jpg

Twospot Candy Hogfish (hard little bugger to get a picture of)

TSCH1.jpg

Wellso Brain

Brain.jpg

Frogspawn

Frog.jpg

Duncans

Duncan.jpg

ORA Green Nepthea

nepthea.jpg

Favia

Favia.jpg

Zoanthids

zoo1.jpg

Really bright GSP

GSP.jpg

Orange Monti Caps

Monti.jpg

Interestingly enough, everything except the fish and duncans have been graciously donated to me by a few close friends. Friends and family really reached out when my tank crashed from a faulty heater. I'd like to take this time to thank the main contributors to my tank - Nano-reef's own Lljdma06 (acans, rics/yumas, mushies, favia, zoas), my good friend Carlton (brain, pallies, liverock), and my uncle John (nepthea, monti caps, GSP, rics, zoas).

NEW FTS 8/26/12

FTS2.jpg

Everything looks really great. Those Duncan's have amazing color.

What's the difference between a Nepthea and a Sinularia? (I haven't looked it up just asking because I have a sinu that's pretty much identical to your nepthe)

Awwwww... All warm and fuzzy inside...

:grouphug:

That favia did some serious growing! The corals look great.

Speaking of my giving... Filter is a no go until Wednesday. Isaac put a damper (hahahaha, pun totally intended) on things...

So... What are the plans for this tank? Adding any more fishies? Any corals saying, "Kyle, I need to be in your tank NOW?"

L

Everything looks really great. Those Duncan's have amazing color.

What's the difference between a Nepthea and a Sinularia? (I haven't looked it up just asking because I have a sinu that's pretty much identical to your nepthe)

The difference is internal spicule formation. Nepthea have small, microscopic spicules while sinularia have spicules that can be seen with the naked eye (about 1mm or so). The only way to test is to cut a little bit off, dissolve it in bleach, and see what shows up. If you can't see the spicules without a microscope, it's nepthea. if you can (or with a magnifying glass) it's sinularia. Does it make a difference? Not one bit. Essentially they're the same thing, at least from an aquarium perspective.

Awwwww... All warm and fuzzy inside...

:grouphug:

That favia did some serious growing! The corals look great.

Speaking of my giving... Filter is a no go until Wednesday. Isaac put a damper (hahahaha, pun totally intended) on things...

So... What are the plans for this tank? Adding any more fishies? Any corals saying, "Kyle, I need to be in your tank NOW?"

L

If you look at the top right corner of the FTS you can see the massive favia colony that's been growing. The little frag you sent is now more than half a powerhead in size and wrapping around a piece of branching rock. It's very plump and has great coloration. I've always had a way with favia, and this one has absolutely loved the tank.

Honestly, I think I'm done (for now). If something super neat catches my eye at the LFS, then I may snag it (I've always wanted a scolly). But the same corals (except the duncan) have now been in the tank since... what? March? I really love the way they're filling out and I'm more than happy to let them expand. So no more corals for me! That's why I have a new tank in the mail... hahahaha. As far as fish, perhaps a small goby or something down the road, but nothing else right now. Three is a very happy number for this tank.

Thanks for the explanation. I feel te same about being done with buying corals. There's only so much room and once they start growing out (especially the caps) you'll be even shorter. It's interesting to see what grows the best in people's tanks. All my favias and chalice, etc grow SLOW. Some sps I've put in there do ok, but I have a birds best that has to spread out a quarter inch a week.

Anyway. It'll be great to watch yours grow out...until the next one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Updates?

Unfortunately a new job is making me move and I can't take this setup along :( I've got to let it go after so much work... but hopefully that means new opportunities?

• 4 months later...

Archived