Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

WhiteShark

I will be purchasing a Crocea Clam at a LFS which is very close to my apartment (it’ll spend all of about 20-25 min in a bag before its back at my apartment for acclimation).

I’ve heard a lot of conflicting information out there about how to acclimate clams. Anything from people saying to drip acclimate it for hours, to temp acclimate it and then just drop it in (of course I also get the extremes of “Don’t ever let it touch the air!” and “Quarantine it for weeks!”). I’m sure there’s truth somewhere in all these statements, but much of the advise seems to come from shipped clams (via UPS or something) as apposed to locally bought clams. Any thoughts?

hhmm...guess no one has clams in their nano anymore.

honestly i just drip acclimated my crocea and its been doing great for the last 7 months

I float acclimated my clam and added small bits of tank water to the tank for about 45 mins.

The clam can be out of water and in the air, just make sure that you burp the clam once it's in water.

Burping a clam: Rotate the clam 360* multiple times to let the air bubbles escape.

I float for 15 to temp match, RO dip for 20 minutes, and then place it in.

This is what I do as well. If you are going to dip something in fresh water, I think it will be ok going into your tank without a drip.

• 2 months later...

I just bought mine last night. Left it in the car while I hit the golf range. Came back to find my car battery died. By the time I got home I was too tired to worry about the clam. Popped him directly into the tank no dip, no acclimation, no worrying about air etc. He did up pretty quickly and was responsive to the shadows.

Checked on him this morning and he's doing ok but my lights are on the night cycle so I can't really be sure.

Clams are a bit more resilient than some people give them credit for.

I acclimated my Crocea pretty similarly to other people here - float for 15 minutes, add tank water for about another 45 minutes, place it in the tank, rotate it to burp, and set it on a rock. It has yet to attach to the rock and occasionally moves around a bit and falls over. It can be on its side for a few hours while I'm at work, and it'll be just fine as soon as I get home and place him upright again.

Most acclimation procedures should be fine, since it will have a very short travel time.

If it is your first clam, no need to QT since there's really nothing in your tank to infect.

I also would not do freshwater dip, especially if you have no other clams in your tank. It is a controlling measure for pinched mantle. It is kind of a last ditch effort and is very stressful for the clam. It also has been shown to only control the disease temporarily and can't really cure it completely. So I wouldn't stress the clam with a freshwater dip.

Properly acclimated, meaning water, temp, and most importantly LIGHT! Most people don't light acclimate clams, I learned through my experiences, I was one of those people. Light acclimate by placing the clam on the substrate with a frag disk lightly buried under the clam for a minimum of 1 week, then week by week start slowly moving the clam with the frag disk up higher until the "desired" placement of your choice. Your "desired" placement may not be the clam's "desired" placement, so be prepared if it decides to move. If it is happy where you place it, it will attach itself there.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's what I did...

Drip acclimated for roughly an hour. Took them out of the water and placed it in the tank. Both clams are doing great.

Archived