Innovative Marine Aquariums

Gregg's Place

Old Gregg

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well things are generally doing very well with the exception of a few things.

The good:

-Both the green and the tan Sarcophytons have grown so incredibly much over the past month or two that they completely overran the candycane colony so I had to move it

-My "Nanie" coral has miraculously survived a year without my knowledge and now it's growing like a weed. My Nanie coral are Blue Clove Polyps that I bought because my grandma, aka Nanie, loved the color. It ended up dying because it was constantly dislodged and thrown facedown into the sand from what I think was giant bristle worms. One single polyp has multiplied into 22 in a few weeks lol

-All the zoas are doing great! I increased water flow on the rocks and that seams to make all the difference. Who knew? Don't answer that :P

-Very pretty pink coralline has gone crazy lately on the back wall and more rocks. Even the hermits can't escape from the pinkness!

The bad:

-The Orange Plate isn't doing well. The polyps have quit extending for a few reasons. Hingy the yellow clown goby now hosts in it and the hermit crabs constantly walk all over it... Aren't hermit crabs supposed to have short lives? sheesh

-The clowns are very aggressive towards their reflections and they constantly fight themselves and kick up sand every so often.

-The glove polyps on the back wall don't enjoy the short exposure to the air whenever I do water changes and they are slowly shriveling up

The ugly

-A couple of Anthelia polyps managed to make a foothold in the tank. That couple turned into more than a couple....

-Xenias are a little worrying as well lol

• 4 months later...

Not much to go on about here. I got rid of the majority of my lps's because I couldn't stand to watch the chem warfare between them and the softies. So I've been letting the mushrooms and softies take over the tank. It's always fun watching how it evolves over time :)

I think I need to trim the top of the gsp's on the back wall because the top half shades out the bottom half, which causes the bottom of the colony to remain closed >.<

And the bad: I let bubble algae into my tank, didn't think much of it until a month later half the tank was coated. Needless to say it was a long 12 hour operation to manually remove it all...

Anyways here's a bonus pic

1354222116067.jpg

post-60057-1354295668_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Ohh let's see I haven't been around here for awhile hehe. I've eradicated all my nuisance algae through manual removal and I've made some changes to the rock scape and livestock!

-The rocks are more of a boring mound shape, but with big mounds comes leaps and bounds of improvement in water flow.

-I traded away most of my lps corals in favor of softies. This gives me peace of mind when I'm out of town and leaving it with a tank sitter. (I do miss my euhpyllia's)

-I have to destroy Kenya Tree babies on a weekly basis >.<

-The GSP on the back wall suddenly stopped opening and began receding some months ago. Not sure what's up with that but it's begun to re-open the polyps but they are colorless

I'll dig around for some full tank pics. But for now here's a few I took recently

IMG_20130530_221615_zps7b705161.jpgIMG_20130530_222027_zpsc758f5bd.jpgIMG_20130530_221853_zps7ca03f03.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks llama! My lights finally came in. I got the Nova Extreme Pro 6-Lamp T5 fixture and I'm super excited to see them in action!

I also picked up my firsts sps's that will be going in my revamped sps tank. A beautiful green Millepora frag and a blue Montipora cap. They were insanely cheap, $15 each! The Mille had great polyp extension but they are both a bit browned out

llama roadkill
Thanks llama! My lights finally came in. I got the Nova Extreme Pro 6-Lamp T5 fixture and I'm super excited to see them in action!

I also picked up my firsts sps's that will be going in my revamped sps tank. A beautiful green Millepora frag and a blue Montipora cap. They were insanely cheap, $15 each! The Mille had great polyp extension but they are both a bit browned out

Pics?

It's an unflattering picture. I had to maneuver my big old hands through the crawl space between the tanks glass and the wall to get a clear shot :D

post-60057-0-65496600-1380463101_thumb.jpg

Archived