Coral Vue Hydros

Gregg's Place

Old Gregg

Extra pics using a better iPhone. I hope you like them!

I love these pics! The first one looks like the coral is made of dancing lights. So pretty.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I've been throwing around the idea of getting some sexy's in here. Thing 1 and Thing 2 have been going through a rough patch together as of late, and I fear they need something to spice it up. Is a 29 gallon too big for sexy's?

• 2 weeks later...

I've decided against the sexy shrimp for now. The clown's would probably harass them and they'd be so small I'd probably never see them :(

Oh and I found some bubble algae growing on the side of a ceramic tile...

• 1 month later...

I'm loving this tank. All the movement and softness. It's really great.

Please keep posting new pix!

(sorry about the bubble algae, I've been struggling with some that HH'ed in on a frag.)

I'll let ya know how it goes! Here's a pic of my brain. It's a bit out of place in the tank, but the colors are so vibrant I love it

woops forgot link

NovIphone216.jpg

My girlfriend just bought me practically the exact same brain for my birthday as well. Nuts.

IMG_1219.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hehe Pippin it's a small world, go figure. Good looking brain ya got there ;) My apologies for the delay in responding, I forgot I even had this thread!

My tank has gone through another HUGE change lately. The Anthelia invaded every nook and cranny on the top half of the tank so I got fed up with it all and took every piece of rock it had spread to back to my LFS. They were quite happy lol

So there went about 15-20 lbs of rock. But what finally pushed me over the edge to do this was my brother in law. He has (had) a 6 gallon tank and he's moving to Maryland from down here in Florida. He didn't want the added pressure of moving everything up there and worrying about that on top of everything else that needs to be done. So he gave me his livestock and rocks without asking anything for it in return except for taking good care of it all and I'm very grateful for it .

So over the past 2 weeks I've developed a new vigor for the tank and a desire to make it the healthiest/most beautiful tank that I can. And with this new vigor came a few changes such as:

1- I changed the lighting schedule. I used to only see my tank with lights on for a half hour a day at best, as I came home from work. If you can't see the tank, trust me, you will be less inclined to maintain it!

2- I changed my salt brand to Red Sea, not Red Sea Pro. I will do a water change every single week without fail. I went through a long period of no water changed and under feeding so my coral payed a heavy toll in malnutrition

3- I'm getting an automatic topoff and dosing the topoff water with a very small amount of kalk, just enough to keep levels steady through the weekly water changes

4-I will be dosing Vitamin-C for improved Zoa growth and health, twice a day in small amounts

5-I now manually spot feed all my coral. And it's only been 2 weeks but the growth and colors is already exploding!

That's about it. I'll post some pictures of the tank when I hit page 4 of the thread lol. You all won't even recognize the tank! this is for you pbjelly ;P Oh and no more bubble algae

Moving to Maryland from Florida? Funny direction :P! Hard to find decent jobs here, though.

I look forward to seeing the "new" tank!

Hehe yep I've been thinking the same thing. They must've known Debbie was on it's way

You're tank is looking beautiful as always btw :P

Hehe yep I've been thinking the same thing. They must've known Debbie was on it's way

You're tank is looking beautiful as always btw :P

Thank you so much :blush:! I've been enjoying the heck out of Debby -- but then, I live inland, 70 feet above sea level, in a dome house with a three foot crawlspace built on pine hammock land -- flooding is not something I worry about, and while I am not cocky about tornadoes, winds have to exceed 100 mph before I fear for my house! All the rain has been lovely -- my yard is in ecstasy :lol:.

I'm not quite as lucky! Mother nature thought Debbie wasn't enough for us beach bums so she threw a tornado onto my neighborhood as well. Thankfully nobody is seriously injured here, just a few missing rooftops and uprooted trees

I work at the end of this street. Yay it stayed dry!

1.jpg

Here's the only chair not tied down at the shop...

2.jpg

Typical damage

3.jpg

All the boats left this dock except for one... it was found a few miles downstream

4.jpg

Uprooted Trees

5.jpg

RUUUUUNNNNNN

7.jpg

Holy you-know-what!! Wow -- I sincerely hope you get no more damage! My mother is very unhappy about this storm b/c it's hitting coast lines so hard. I am feeling mightily humble and grateful right now.

Good pics, though...are you posting them to a local news site? (sorry if this comment seems crass :unsure:)

Good pics, though...are you posting them to a local news site? (sorry if this comment seems crass :unsure:)

lol no I havent sent any of them in. Don't feel bad btw. I'm a born weather nerd (and a few other kinds of nerds) so this has all been very exciting! After a brief cleanup I grabbed my boogie board and made a day out of it

And as promised a few new pics

wewe4.jpg

The colors came out pretty cool in this picture. The paly's in the back are bright pink irl

wewe3.jpg

Jigglycoral - cell pic

wewe2.jpg

FTS - cell pic

wewe1.jpg

Beautiful -- I really like that first shot. In the final one, is the little blue streak a nano cleaning goby (I think they are also called neon gobies)? Coral Magazine did a really cool spread on pygmy gobies -- I think for a BC14, nano gobies are a good choice. I've considered trading in the clown and damsel, though they are pretty entertaining to watch. Pygmy gobies don't have a particularly long lifespan, but that also means a continually changing tank, which is kind of cool.

Good luck with Debby today! All the rain has brought out the toads and they were so loud last night, I had to leave my bedroom and sleep on the other side of the house :P!

You have a good eye! Yes that's a neon Goby. He quickly became my favorite fish when I introduced him to the tank and he began cleaning the clownfish. The clowns, however, found this terrifying and the keep as much distance from the Goby as possible at all times lmao. Serves them right though, those clowns are aholes >.<

The yellow goby is very personable. It's always perched in the candycanes or the plate coral keeping watch out in case of a monster bristleworm attack. It reminds me of how prairie dogs elect a lookout to keep an eye on the clan lol

ps the neon goby's name is Toot and the yellow one's name is Hingy. My nephew is a wiz at fish naming :P

My Tunze Osmolator came in today!!! I can't wait to get home! I'll be topping everything off up in this hizzouse

It's going on 2 full days without power here in sunny old Florida and going on the 4th 10lb bag of ice. When I got home from work yesterday the inside air temp was 89 and the tank was 86.8 degrees. I opened all the windows but that didn't help much on a breezeless night with a low temp of 83

I got the tank down over a few hours back to 80 before going to bed.

If tank temp were a rollercoaster this would be Mr Toads Wild Ride. Buckle up and keep your hands and arms inside at all times because it's going to be another warm one! :scarry:

PS the osmolator is wonderful :)

It's going on 2 full days without power here in sunny old Florida and going on the 4th 10lb bag of ice. When I got home from work yesterday the inside air temp was 89 and the tank was 86.8 degrees. I opened all the windows but that didn't help much on a breezeless night with a low temp of 83

Dang! Power out b/c of Debby? Congrats on keeping tank to 80 B)!

Dang! Power out b/c of Debby?

No because I'm a big dummy and I didn't change the power over into my name when everyone else moved out lol.

No because I'm a big dummy and I didn't change the power over into my name when everyone else moved out lol.

Is the tank ok?

I just got home from work and surprisingly everything is being extremely tolerant to the high temperatures. I have been running extension cords to my neighbors house to juice the pumps and keep the water circulating and floating bags of ice I buy at the gas station when I wake up and after work.

I have been feeding it extremely little in case anything does die, I don't want a huge ammonia spike. But I took out the filter floss and the skimmer to reduce heat from the pump and to let any fine particles of food floating around be consumed by the tube worms and coral.

But so far it's been since Monday with no power and super high temp fluctuations. Only those with a trained eye would even be able to tell that the coral aren't 100% in their full glory. The only thing that's closed are the GSP's on the top of the back wall because they were exposed to air for who knows how long when the power went out

• 2 weeks later...

Minor incident today. So I was sitting down on my favorite chair eating my favorite pretzels and peanut butter and sipping on mountaindew throwback and I hear my ATO screaming at me. Oh crap it's over dosing the kalk! I throw the lights on and see my ginormous bristleworm stretched entirely from the bottom of the tank to somewhere near the return flow. It was receding fast! I figured it was just afraid of the light. But noooo! Moments later, a giant head is spat out from the return flow along with guts and spines and various other bristle inards. I'm a little woried about the spines floating around everywhere but the fish didn't show any signs of stress. Thing 2 obliviouslyt continued sleeping upside down on the Xenias. I guess it tickles his back or something

Archived