Cultivated Reef

DIY Vortech Battery Backup

bensanders

Just finish up soldering my wires and installing the fuse. It's supposed to flash green in battery mode right?

Again many thanks for a kick @ss DIY!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

bump. how have the builds been. i think i'm going to order all the parts tonight/tomm to prep for Irene. only thing i couldn't find on radio shack's website is the battery tender. maybe they just have it in store and not on their site?

bump. how have the builds been. i think i'm going to order all the parts tonight/tomm to prep for Irene. only thing i couldn't find on radio shack's website is the battery tender. maybe they just have it in store and not on their site?

I purchased the Battery Tender Jr. on Amazon. I don't know if radioshack carries them or not.

I purchased the Battery Tender Jr. on Amazon. I don't know if radioshack carries them or not.

i'd need a charger tonight/tomorrow since Irene hits late saturday :o

i'd need a charger tonight/tomorrow since Irene hits late saturday :o

Well any 12v battery charger would work in a pinch. If you want to be able to leave the charger and battery plugged in all the time, say after the storm, then you'll want a charger with float/trickle capabilities.

Well any 12v battery charger would work in a pinch. If you want to be able to leave the charger and battery plugged in all the time, say after the storm, then you'll want a charger with float/trickle capabilities.

thanks for the help. it probably won't be plugged in all the time. only when storm threats like Irene come along.

Would probably be OK just so long as you don't experience frequent power outages from other things non-storm related.

Went to a local radio shack earlier. Only battery they have is 12v/7ah. Didn't even have any 12v chargers! I was able to get that battery tender junior from amazon with 'same day local delivery' so I'll get that tomorrow. Maybe I'll just pickup that 7ah battery tomorrow with the other needed supplies to hold me over Irene, then return it and get a proper sized battery for a more long term use.

it works! using a 7ah battery temporarily. i purchased two of them so i'll connect them up in parallel to get longer life just in case. after this whole storm blows over i'll return these two 12v 18ah's and replace with a proper 12v 18ah.

much easier than i expected and i have minimal soldering experience (i haven't done it since HS, over 10yr's)

it works! using a 7ah battery temporarily. i purchased two of them so i'll connect them up in parallel to get longer life just in case. after this whole storm blows over i'll return these two 12v 18ah's and replace with a proper 12v 18ah.

much easier than i expected and i have minimal soldering experience (i haven't done it since HS, over 10yr's)

Great to hear! I tested mine today as well after all this hurricane talk...we Texans will get another storm eventually.

Good luck with everything, be prepared.

So I I wasn't too smart with the second battery. Spliced wires, connected to the battery terminals, go to cut the other end and POOF. Battery makes a pop sound and smokes. I'm assuming when I cut the other end I connected the wires and short circuited the battery?

So I I wasn't too smart with the second battery. Spliced wires, connected to the battery terminals, go to cut the other end and POOF. Battery makes a pop sound and smokes. I'm assuming when I cut the other end I connected the wires and short circuited the battery?

Oh man, I'm not an electrician nor do I have much experience with electronics other than a DIY light fixture and this build. I haven't experimented with wiring in two batteries either. Sounds like a short though. Be careful!

I have a Wagan Tech 2544 12V "jump starter" that has a air pump for flats also. It has a work light and usb charger built in so you can charge your cell phone or run a pc. It has to be charged like once every 3-4 months for 12 hours or charged after each use. It does not have a float charge, but it's not to hard to charge it once and a while. You can also charge it from your 12V outlet in your car when your driving. It is great to have around, I use it all the time. I just connect it to the 12V output (cigarette) plug from the charger to the input plug I got at RS and it runs my MP-10 for days. Has an air compressor that I charge an old spare air with, I suppose I could adjust the valve to supply some oxygen as well, if needed. Just thought of that. Anyway, I got it for around $50 or so on sale and it's a real multi tool, convenient, and easy to store. It has led worklight (NICE) and led lights that let you know it's charge level or when to recharge. A company called K-Tool has one with a built in float charge for like $120.

Could not be any easier, for me.

This is a great idea. Why reinvent the wheel and make things difficult? Just buy a car jumper/air pump/light all in one battery thingy and make the connection using a cigarette plug and input plug from Radio Shack.

This is a great idea. Why reinvent the wheel and make things difficult? Just buy a car jumper/air pump/light all in one battery thingy and make the connection using a cigarette plug and input plug from Radio Shack.

Or just do this, sit back, and relax. You may not always be home when the power goes out.

I am looking at building one of these. I want to run 2 batteries in series so I get the full power out of my MP10. Am I understanding this correctly that I would just plug them into the battery port on my Vortech? I still leave the main power attached.

Also for charging. Do the normal battery buddies work since you have essentially created a 24v battery or do you need to get a charger designed for 24v batteries? Thanks.

• 3 months later...

Hi Fickle1, im not sure if you should connect 24v to the backup terminal.

The vortec backup is 12v so im not sure if the controller will be pleased with that, i dont know if anybody has tried it but it could be expensive if it does not work.

Good luck, what ever you deside to try;)

the driver will accept 24v on the backup circut, they are both connected to the same traces on the circuit. when the voltage drops below 18v the driver will go into backup mode

• 4 years later...
Tom@HaslettMI

To res this thread. Anyone have a final wiring schematic?

I have not done this DIY yet. But I think this is the schematic...

lol, I guess I do. Somebody had written somewhere that another battery could be put in series, so I just regurgitated that. Parallel is obviously the correct way. Here's a quick wiring diagram. Not much to it:VortechBatteryBackup.jpg

• 10 months later...

tagged for interest.

I was able to secure an MP10 and the only thing that is missing is the power supply bar.

I am currently running a Ecotech battery back up with another MP10.

My question is with the absent of the power supply bar for the newly acquired MP10, am I just able to hook it up on the battery back up and run it? The battery back up is plug in to the wall full time. will I be using the battery back up itself even though the batt back up is plug in to the wall? Is this bad for the battery back up life span?

I rather not to spend $$ to buy power supply bar, if my plan is a good idea.

any thoughts?

Archived