Top Shelf Aquatics

DIY Vortech Battery Backup

bensanders

I guess I should test it myself, but just googling shows a lot of threads mentioning it. I can imagine the pump is directly driven by the battery voltage and the pumps are regularly ran at 24V, so it would make sense.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ahh you are correct, apparently in my previous tests i just never got the voltage high enough.

i just tested mine again and from 9-18v it runs at a constant speed, but once the voltage on the battery input goes above ~18v it turns on all the way, ie instead of the blinking green light it shows all the normal lights and you can change the mode, set the speed etc.

so if you want shorter battery life but want to run the pump at normal speed and settings you can run two 12v batteries in series.

Glad that was all cleared up B)

I think I'm going to splice in another DC connector and run my other MP10 off the same battery, as opposed to running one at a higher speed. Any qualms with doing this?

Any guesses on how often the batteries will need to be replaced? My guess is that's where overall cost will reside.

That being said- $79 for what I'm sure is (at the absolute least) your first year's worth of insurance on your reef is totally a worthy investment. I've got a backup battery from Vortech I was lucky enough to get really cheap on craigslist, and unless that happens again, I'm not hunting for a new one when this thing gets old.

I should probably start researching how long a Vortech battery is good for... I know mine was manufactured a little over a year ago...

I can't imagine the lifespan being any lower than the Vortech unit. I'm guessing the IceCap battery in the Vortech is nicer, but the trickle charger most likely isn't of the same quality as the Battery Tender Junior. Therefore, my guess is the lifespans are similar.

Any thoughts on powering two MP10s from the same battery?

I have a Wagan Tech 2544 12V "jump starter" that has a air pump for flats also. It has a work light and usb charger built in so you can charge your cell phone or run a pc. It has to be charged like once every 3-4 months for 12 hours or charged after each use. It does not have a float charge, but it's not to hard to charge it once and a while. You can also charge it from your 12V outlet in your car when your driving. It is great to have around, I use it all the time. I just connect it to the 12V output (cigarette) plug from the charger to the input plug I got at RS and it runs my MP-10 for days. Has an air compressor that I charge an old spare air with, I suppose I could adjust the valve to supply some oxygen as well, if needed. Just thought of that. Anyway, I got it for around $50 or so on sale and it's a real multi tool, convenient, and easy to store. It has led worklight (NICE) and led lights that let you know it's charge level or when to recharge. A company called K-Tool has one with a built in float charge for like $120.

Could not be any easier, for me.

depends on how often the power goes out but as long as the charger is properly handling the batteries then it will be many years before you need new ones.

you should be fine running two pumps from the same batteries

Would there be any harm in putting the batteries inside a bag with an airtight seal, inside a cabinet next to a sump- to prevent corrosion?

hmm, I'm not positive if that's OK or not, I imagine it wouldn't hurt. I just put giant globs of aquarium silicone over each terminal to prevent corrosion. All other connections are protected with electrical tape and heatshrink tubing.

• 4 weeks later...
grenade bob

great thread, I am getting a MP10 soon and want this feature. I also just picked up a weller wesd51 solder station for all my other diy projects. Cant wait to get my tank going again. I am going to add a shelf in my stand that is above the sump for these 2 batteries. What kind of running time should I expect out of the mp10 running the 2 batteries in series for 24v at a conservative setting to prolong battery life? but still keep the reef happy?

great thread, I am getting a MP10 soon and want this feature. I also just picked up a weller wesd51 solder station for all my other diy projects. Cant wait to get my tank going again. I am going to add a shelf in my stand that is above the sump for these 2 batteries. What kind of running time should I expect out of the mp10 running the 2 batteries in series for 24v at a conservative setting to prolong battery life? but still keep the reef happy?

Using 2 batteries on one MP10 at a conservative setting would last a long time, at least 6 days. One battery on an MP10 at 100% (so running at 50% while in backup mode) is supposed to last 72 hrs.

Nothing they can do about it. I think it actually gives them credit because they made the backup input a common size H DC plug. They could have gone another route and made some special connector to prevent you from making your own, like how Microsoft treated accessories with the Xbox.

Nothing they can do about it. I think it actually gives them credit because they made the backup input a common size H DC plug. They could have gone another route and made some special connector to prevent you from making your own, like how Microsoft treated accessories with the Xbox.

true, haha i already bought the pieces to make this. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks so much for doing this DIY! We had a power outage the other day and it lasted 2.5 hrs. I was manually stirring the water and squirting with a baster. I had a jumper because I left the top off. He ended up being ok, but loosing a $50 fish more than justifies the $70 I spent on parts! All I need is the inline fuse and my battery backup will be online!

PS For those that mentioned the APC option, I have one and it lasted a whole 2 min under the full load of the MP10, granted the battery must have been old, but it still will never give you the run time of the direct 12v.

On a side note did anyone test how long this unit will power the MP10 for?

Thanks so much for doing this DIY! We had a power outage the other day and it lasted 2.5 hrs. I was manually stirring the water and squirting with a baster. I had a jumper because I left the top off. He ended up being ok, but loosing a $50 fish more than justifies the $70 I spent on parts! All I need is the inline fuse and my battery backup will be online!

PS For those that mentioned the APC option, I have one and it lasted a whole 2 min under the full load of the MP10, granted the battery must have been old, but it still will never give you the run time of the direct 12v.

On a side note did anyone test how long this unit will power the MP10 for?

Oh I did have one question, why the 1.5 amp fuse? I understand the purpose of the fuse, but what is the normal amperage the battery supplies?

Oh I did have one question, why the 1.5 amp fuse? I understand the purpose of the fuse, but what is the normal amperage the battery supplies?

I honestly have no idea. I think I've seen people use 1 amp fuses as well. I just went with what radioshack had at the time and it works flawlessly.

On the run time, I haven't given it a marathon test yet. I'm confident it will go for 72hrs at least.

Wet_Fretboards
I honestly have no idea. I think I've seen people use 1 amp fuses as well. I just went with what radioshack had at the time and it works flawlessly.

On the run time, I haven't given it a marathon test yet. I'm confident it will go for 72hrs at least.

Nice work. Just keep it well ventilated if you're going to use lead-acid (car / mower type) batteries. They give off hydrogen gas when being charged....

Well if the MP10 is 18W and that's based on 120V lines that's an average of about .15A let's call it .2

Using a 7Ah battery that's just 7/.2 = 35 hours.

Now the current draw is probably different than that to be honest....but that's what it's rated. It says it's 8-18W and I bet it's closer to 70+hours just as you said.

Looks pretty good! Great DIY.

Where is the gas emitted from? It is a sealed lead acid battery, after all.

Well if the MP10 is 18W and that's based on 120V lines that's an average of about .15A let's call it .2

Using a 7Ah battery that's just 7/.2 = 35 hours.

Now the current draw is probably different than that to be honest....but that's what it's rated. It says it's 8-18W and I bet it's closer to 70+hours just as you said.

Looks pretty good! Great DIY.

Thanks!

This build is virtually identical to the actual Vortech backup. Their's is rated to 72 hrs for an MP10 at 100% (so, 50% in backup mode). The MP10 that is hooked up to the backup is kept at 90%, so I'm guessing I get at least 72 hrs. The other MP10 will be hooked up to it soon, so I'll be getting around 36 hrs. No worries though, we hardly ever get outages where I live.

Wet_Fretboards
Where is the gas emitted from? It is a sealed lead acid battery, after all.

The valve-regulated battery is the most common type of sealed battery. It was developed forstationary and telecommunication battery applications. These types of sealed batteries have aspring-controlled valve that vents gases at a predetermined pressure. Typical pressurethresholds are from 2 to 5 psig, depending on the battery design. Although the term "valve-regulated" is often used synonymously to describe sealed lead-acid batteries, not all sealedbatteries are valve-regulated. Some battery designs employ replaceable vent plugs or othermechanisms to relieve excess pressure. Sealed batteries were developed to reduce themaintenance required for batteries in active service. Since electrolyte levels are preserved bytrapping and recombining off-gasses, there should not be any need to add distilled water overthe life of the battery. These batteries are often misnamed "maintenance free." In fact, allmaintenance practices applicable to unsealed type batteries are applicable to sealed typebatteries

The valve-regulated battery is the most common type of sealed battery. It was developed forstationary and telecommunication battery applications. These types of sealed batteries have aspring-controlled valve that vents gases at a predetermined pressure. Typical pressurethresholds are from 2 to 5 psig, depending on the battery design. Although the term "valve-regulated" is often used synonymously to describe sealed lead-acid batteries, not all sealedbatteries are valve-regulated. Some battery designs employ replaceable vent plugs or othermechanisms to relieve excess pressure. Sealed batteries were developed to reduce themaintenance required for batteries in active service. Since electrolyte levels are preserved bytrapping and recombining off-gasses, there should not be any need to add distilled water overthe life of the battery. These batteries are often misnamed "maintenance free." In fact, allmaintenance practices applicable to unsealed type batteries are applicable to sealed typebatteries

Interesting. Thanks for the info

Archived