inTank Media Baskets

[Biocube 29] RedStang's Build Thread

RedStang

My emerald was great. Took care of my little bit of bubble algae. Left everything alone. Then one day, she was dead. Random. Thought it was just a shed. Nope.

Good luck on the new tank man. Hope to see it running one day.

Exact same thing happened with my emerald, seemed fine then random death.

Red enjoy the new tank! Hopefully in the future I'll be able to set up a beast like that.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Exact same thing happened with my emerald, seemed fine then random death.

Red enjoy the new tank! Hopefully in the future I'll be able to set up a beast like that.

I'm still hoping I can! :lol: My wife keeps asking my why I keep picking such expensive hobbies. I keep asking her why she married me :D.

It'll be a while as I have no $ set aside for it nor have I budgeted for it. Then again when I bought my BC a year ago I expected it to take 9 months to a year to set it up and it took 4 months. Unless I get a massive raise in April, and I won't, that ain't happening this time. At least all of the Apex stuff will transfer over and the MP10 will probably find a home on the back back wall. Need to start a build thread though just to bouncesome ideas off people.

Ok, crab has been caught and bannished to chamber 2. Final straw was him chasing and trying to catch my YWG. Not a chance I'll let that happen.

Congrats on the bigger tank. I'm doing my best to not purchase one as well.

Weird on the emerald. Mine has been a model citizen and hasn't bothered anything else.

Congrats on the bigger tank. I'm doing my best to not purchase one as well.

Weird on the emerald. Mine has been a model citizen and hasn't bothered anything else.

I've read that emerald's were hit or miss. I missed! :P

On the bigger tank, it's something I always planned for. The BC was always meant to be a test to see if I would stick to it and if the wife and kids liked it as well. It's been a hit for the whole family. Heck, even my 9 month old niece loves sitting in front of the tank. I'll take it slow to make sure I do it right. I haven't wasted much money on the BC but I have a little bit. Goal with the larger tank is one time purchases of equipment. No buying and then upgrading or replacing with something better. It's an expensive proposition. I'm at almost 3k on the budget and I think that's low. Of course, if freaking MP40's weren't $450 each that would help!

Great learning experience too. We were at Sea World in Orlando a couple of weeks ago looking at one of their aquariums. They had one of their education people there and she couldn't believe all the corals that my 9yo daughter could identify. The fish too. If she didn't know the exact kind she generally could figure out the family like that's a wrasse, that's a tang, that's an anthia.

I've read that emerald's were hit or miss. I missed! :P

On the bigger tank, it's something I always planned for. The BC was always meant to be a test to see if I would stick to it and if the wife and kids liked it as well. It's been a hit for the whole family. Heck, even my 9 month old niece loves sitting in front of the tank. I'll take it slow to make sure I do it right. I haven't wasted much money on the BC but I have a little bit. Goal with the larger tank is one time purchases of equipment. No buying and then upgrading or replacing with something better. It's an expensive proposition. I'm at almost 3k on the budget and I think that's low. Of course, if freaking MP40's weren't $450 each that would help!

Great learning experience too. We were at Sea World in Orlando a couple of weeks ago looking at one of their aquariums. They had one of their education people there and she couldn't believe all the corals that my 9yo daughter could identify. The fish too. If she didn't know the exact kind she generally could figure out the family like that's a wrasse, that's a tang, that's an anthia.

That is awesome!! I too am getting ready to move out of my current townhome and into a single family home I am buying. So the plan has always been once I buy I am getting my big new tank. I am going to go with a 210 gallon I think. And like you, I am going to do a one time purchase of equipment, not going to do any major upgrades. I can not wait to get this new tank. Congrats on your new one and the BC still looks great!

That is awesome!! I too am getting ready to move out of my current townhome and into a single family home I am buying. So the plan has always been once I buy I am getting my big new tank. I am going to go with a 210 gallon I think. And like you, I am going to do a one time purchase of equipment, not going to do any major upgrades. I can not wait to get this new tank. Congrats on your new one and the BC still looks great!

Thanks and good luck to you! 210 would be awesome. I kind of promised the wife that this would be it until we move. Even she added though that with a new house we could build it with a larger tank in mind :D. Love my wife for shure! I'm thinking at least 500gal display with a dropoff. I have a cousin in the area that does custom glass so maybe I could get him to hook me up and go DIY. Oh well, so much for dreaming! That's YEARS in the future.

on the emerald, i have been told that there is a vast difference between the males and females. females will attack bubble algae males might get to it at some point. the males are more aggressive. i got a female who had picked clean the bubble i got on my zoa frag and is timid as hell. she freaks out and hides if i walk to close to the tank. as far as your wife wondering why you have expensive hobbies, i tell mine it is because i have good taste.

on the emerald, i have been told that there is a vast difference between the males and females. females will attack bubble algae males might get to it at some point. the males are more aggressive. i got a female who had picked clean the bubble i got on my zoa frag and is timid as hell. she freaks out and hides if i walk to close to the tank. as far as your wife wondering why you have expensive hobbies, i tell mine it is because i have good taste.

Would have been nice as he was an eating machine. My wife has also asked me repeatedly why my hobbies are so expensive. Showed her your answer and she laughed. She's getting into the tank though. As long as I do the maintenance......

Would have been nice as he was an eating machine. My wife has also asked me repeatedly why my hobbies are so expensive. Showed her your answer and she laughed. She's getting into the tank though. As long as I do the maintenance......

it was worth a shot

That sounds like my wife. I don't have any cheap hobbies.

On the bright side, I don't have that many hobbies. I have a telescope that the whole family enjoys but that costs $0 on an ongoing basis. I play on the PS3 or Xbox occassionally too but I don't have the time for it for the most part. Sold my Mustang in part to fund this hobby.

Caught the emerald pouncing on a nassarius again last night. And this time he ran over to it and attacked it. Almost certainly going to pull it.

I had a red emerald that I inherited as a hitchhiker. I hear they are supposed to be "worse" than greens. She had to go (back to LFS) b/c when there wasn't anything to fill her belly (and she'd stripped every piece of macro except the halimeda to nubs), she started in on my duncan. I caught her several times trying to pull it under a rock. Somewhere in the tank is a hitchhiker hermit crab, but it is tiny and I haven't seen it in weeks. I got rid of all my other crabs. Just don't trust them, though I think a pom pom would make a great addition!

I had a red emerald that I inherited as a hitchhiker. I hear they are supposed to be "worse" than greens. She had to go (back to LFS) b/c when there wasn't anything to fill her belly (and she'd stripped every piece of macro except the halimeda to nubs), she started in on my duncan. I caught her several times trying to pull it under a rock. Somewhere in the tank is a hitchhiker hermit crab, but it is tiny and I haven't seen it in weeks. I got rid of all my other crabs. Just don't trust them, though I think a pom pom would make a great addition!

My 5 hermits have been model citizens. The crabs and 2 snails are still original members of my CUC. 3 snails perished. don't think the hermits did it because the others have been fine. The emerald was pretty though. Maybe I'll add a pom pom some time.

So my wife and I are looking at the tank last night and she tells me Nice Wrasse(our 6-line) found some pinkish worm and ate it. Sweet! Told her next time she needs to either video it or call me cause I'd love to see it action!

I know I still have plenty of worms cause any time I move the rocks around a little mit I see one.

Also considering adding a pistol shrimp to, hopefully, pair with my YWG. The goby is out and about enough now that I'm not as concerned that it won't ever show itself.

my pistol and goby have started being more active. saw the both of them out a couple nights ago. was afraid there for a week or so that i would never see them, but it seems they are settling in.

I picked up a tiger pistol shrimp Friday afternoon and it's already paired up with my yellow watchman goby! They've chosen a rock in the dead center of the aquarium so I can see them both. Goby is currently standing watch while the pistol creates a sandstorm.

Just ordered a quick crew from reef cleaners.org. I've never had more than 5 snails and 5 hermits alive at once. Actually, original 5 hermits are still kicking. I see most people have far more than 3 or 4 snails though and I'm wondering if that's part of the recipe to keeping a cleaner looking tank. Swapping out my Chemi-pure elite today as well. Been a few months.

I picked up a tiger pistol shrimp Friday afternoon and it's already paired up with my yellow watchman goby! They've chosen a rock in the dead center of the aquarium so I can see them both. Goby is currently standing watch while the pistol creates a sandstorm.

That's so cool! I have a rogue pistol in my tank. It gets to stay, but I wonder if a ywg would pair up with it. Probably not, but it's nice to think so!

That's so cool! I have a rogue pistol in my tank. It gets to stay, but I wonder if a ywg would pair up with it. Probably not, but it's nice to think so!

I wasn't sure if my YWG would pair up as it's been in the tank for 6 months but it only took 1.5 days for them to find each other. Pistol has been digging like mad since and the YWG hangs out with him a lot. Very cool to watch in action. Worth a shot! Do you know what kind of pistol?

when i got my pistol/goby they were in different tanks at the store. it took them .5 seconds to pair up. of course they went into my tank at the same time. my pistol is always poking around now, i love it.

when i got my pistol/goby they were in different tanks at the store. it took them .5 seconds to pair up. of course they went into my tank at the same time. my pistol is always poking around now, i love it.

My pistol is still in the building stage. New tunnel entrances are opening daily. YWG stands guard while the pistol does the heavy lifting. Fun to watch. I've only heard the pistol once and that was the first night I put him in when the cleaner got a little close to him. Nothing since.

Well, everything seems to be doing ok after a 50/50 dip in RODI and hydrogen peroxide. Dipped Ricordea's, Zoa's, Paly's, Blasto's, and a Kenya tree. Should know more by the weekend whether it was stung enough/long enough to kill any nuisance algae that was on the frag plugs or rocks I dipped.

Replaced my chemi-pure elite. Today's lunch break will entail a trip to the package store to get some vodka for dosing and, if I have time, cleaning the skimmer and chamber 1.

Reefcleaners.org order should come tomorrow. It will probably multiply my snail population by 10-15x what I have now.

Archived