Top Shelf Aquatics

[Biocube 29] RedStang's Build Thread

RedStang

Looks good! You are a couple of months ahead of me but I am hoping to get my LEDs done before the New Year.

Thanks! The LED's are great. Let me know if you have any questions.

Good looking tank. Gives me something to shoot for with my 29g Biocube.

Thanks for the compliment. Just take things slow. I was probably on the fast side for adding some of the fish but I tried to take my time.

Overall I'm happy with the biocube. Great little tank that is easy to modify. It's been less work to maintain than I thought it would be. Next up will be an attempt at vodka dosing and down the road I'll consider a refugium for pods mainly and possibly dosing. But for now, with minimal corals, I think weekly water changes will keep me in good shape.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks! The LED's are great. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks - will do. I am doing more or less the same LED set up but slightly different. Rapid LED: 5.9 x 16" heatsink, 16 Royal Blue, 8 Neutral White, 2 Blue. Blue and white on separate drivers. From looking at yours I have a good idea of roughly what mine will look like, just with a slightly different colour temp.

very nice, i suppose this means i am gonna have to break out my crappy digi cam to take a FTS of mine now. mine is still boring to the outside observer i think.

I'm getting very close to ordering a LED retro kit. Are you still happy with your 12RB and 8 CW decision? Do you ever wish you would have warmed it up a bit with some NW or red?

Also, what did you do for moonlights?

Thanks

Jon

Hey looking good man! Like all the new additions.

Thanks!

I'm getting very close to ordering a LED retro kit. Are you still happy with your 12RB and 8 CW decision? Do you ever wish you would have warmed it up a bit with some NW or red?

Also, what did you do for moonlights?

Thanks

Jon

I'm still happy but not sure about adding NW or red as I haven't seen another with those colors. It may be worth ordering a couple of each to add to your kit so you can mix it in and see what you like. I would get a lens for the NW or red though as I can see some spotlighting with my kit especially at the surface.

how do you like that shrimp? is it active?

Love it! Excellent addition. Very friendly, very visible, and fun to watch. The fish are warming up to him too.

looks good, i especially love all the euphylia.

Thanks! Hammer has been my favorite coral since I started looking at getting into the hobby. The frogspawn was a favorite too with the green stalk and purple tip.

Great looking tank. Anyway we could get a current stocking list? I'm trying to decide what to add to my 29g Biocube.

Thanks and np.

2 Clowns

1 Tailspot Blenny

1 Yellow Watchman Goby who is now a Gray Watchman Goby

1 Six-Line Wrasse

1 Cleaner Shrimp

5 Hermits

Various snails

Corals:

Green Hammer

Purple Hammer

Frogspawn

Blue Ricordea

Red Monti Cap

Green Bird's Nest

Red Acan

Red/Yellow Blasto

Various Paly's and Zoa's. If they have names I don't know them except for the mint chocolate paly's.

Kenya Tree

Pretty sure that's it!

• 2 weeks later...

So I was checking out the tank yesterday after a camping trip with the kids and we were able to catch the cleaner shrimp cleaning the goby. Awesome to see the goby open its mouth for the shrimp to clean. The kids have read about it and now they've seen it in action!

Almost have my ATO ready to go. I ordered some moldable plastic brackets from aquahub and have it formed and floats attached. Now I need some .5" tubing to go over the top of the floats to keep water off the wires. Who knows, may have everything running tonight!

So I was checking out the tank yesterday after a camping trip with the kids and we were able to catch the cleaner shrimp cleaning the goby. Awesome to see the goby open its mouth for the shrimp to clean. The kids have read about it and now they've seen it in action!

Almost have my ATO ready to go. I ordered some moldable plastic brackets from aquahub and have it formed and floats attached. Now I need some .5" tubing to go over the top of the floats to keep water off the wires. Who knows, may have everything running tonight!

I love watching my cleaner shrimp too, I can't believe that I waited so long to get one.

• 2 weeks later...

Christmas brought a wireless chip for my MP10 and a WXM module for my Apex Jr. I'm officially moduled out :D! Hope to have the MP10 slaved to my WXM by this weekend.

Everything is still going well. The cleaner shrimp is fun to watch especially when the fish sit there and let him crawl around them or open their mouths for a cleaning. Every coral has shown some growth. Skimmer has finally settled down and working well too. Next up will be one new heater to replace one of my 50w's that I got for free to be on the safe side. Still debating whether I need to do a refugium or not. May just put a couple rocks back there as I've seen pods and even what look like mysis shrimp swimming around back there and would like to give them the opportunity to thrive.

Your tank looks great. The rock itself is so dark and dense, very nice looking.

Maybe a New Year's FTS to go along with those installs this weekend?

Your tank looks great. The rock itself is so dark and dense, very nice looking.

Maybe a New Year's FTS to go along with those installs this weekend?

Yeah, I'm due.

Woohoo! Got some time tonight to configure the MP10 and Apex. Probably overkill for a biocube but I don't care. It's cool to be able to program different pump settings for different times though. No more forgetting to enable or disable night mode!

Next up is I really need to get my ATO configured. I have the float switches mounted in bay 3 but I need to mount one in the reservoir. To do that I need to relocate all of my Apex equipment to under the display. They're sitting behind it now on my stand. I know, bad idea and expensive accident waiting to happen. My plan is to velcro everything to the underside of the stand allowing drip loops to be in place as a safety measure.

Maybe this weekend!

Woohoo! Got some time tonight to configure the MP10 and Apex. Probably overkill for a biocube but I don't care. It's cool to be able to program different pump settings for different times though. No more forgetting to enable or disable night mode!

Next up is I really need to get my ATO configured. I have the float switches mounted in bay 3 but I need to mount one in the reservoir. To do that I need to relocate all of my Apex equipment to under the display. They're sitting behind it now on my stand. I know, bad idea and expensive accident waiting to happen. My plan is to velcro everything to the underside of the stand allowing drip loops to be in place as a safety measure.

Maybe this weekend!

There's no such thing as overkill!! :lol:

Did you get a chance to work on your ATO? What are you using for a pump/reservoir? I have my floats hooked up in chamber 3 and I've programmed the RKL to handle the topoff, but I'm waiting on the pump to be delivered (today or tomorrow). One switch, when open, activates a timer mode that will pump on for 5 minutes, then off for 25 minutes, until the switch hits the top and closes. The low budget dosing pump I'm using will pump about a quart in 5 minutes. I'll fiddle around with 5/25 once I see how it's working. The second switch is hooked up as an alarm to shut the pump off if the first switch has failed. I never thought about putting a third switch in the reservoir. I'm planning on using a 7.5 gallon reservoir....if I can't remember to fill that in the 2+ weeks it takes to go dry, I deserve to burn a pump!

Good call on the drip loops!

There's no such thing as overkill!! :lol:

Did you get a chance to work on your ATO? What are you using for a pump/reservoir? I have my floats hooked up in chamber 3 and I've programmed the RKL to handle the topoff, but I'm waiting on the pump to be delivered (today or tomorrow). One switch, when open, activates a timer mode that will pump on for 5 minutes, then off for 25 minutes, until the switch hits the top and closes. The low budget dosing pump I'm using will pump about a quart in 5 minutes. I'll fiddle around with 5/25 once I see how it's working. The second switch is hooked up as an alarm to shut the pump off if the first switch has failed. I never thought about putting a third switch in the reservoir. I'm planning on using a 7.5 gallon reservoir....if I can't remember to fill that in the 2+ weeks it takes to go dry, I deserve to burn a pump!

Good call on the drip loops!

I was able to work on it some yesterday and I think I got the programming ironed out. I need to wait a few days for the water to drop to test it. I'm using the Tom's aqualifter pump. I ziptied it to a 2 gallon water jug that had a cap on top. I'll take a pic when I update my tank shots this week, hopefully anyway! I'll time how long it takes and then add some programming to email me if it's on for more than X amount of time. If I can figure out how to program it to automatically turn the outlet from Auto to Off if it runs for greater than that amount of time I'll do that too. Probably easier to just get another float switch as a high backup though.

How much rock did you end up using in your tank?

Hard to say as I didn't weight it exactly but I'd guess 20-25lbs.

Alright, so still not updated pics. They'll come when I'm not so busy. On the bright side, I had a Nassarius sighting yesterday! I put two nassarius snails in black Friday and hadn't seen them since. I was sure they were dead. Low and behold one pops out yesterday during feeding for about 2 minutes before burying itself back in the sand.

The Prodigal Snail returns?

:lol:

:lol: No doubt!

Also added some more zoa's/paly's! I promise some pics today! Just bear with me as I apparently SUCK at supergluing frags to rocks. Or supergluing anything in the tank really!

Archived