inTank Media Baskets

[Biocube 29] RedStang's Build Thread

RedStang

i always feel bad when i super glue things in my tank, the frags seem to be angry for a day afterward.

My problem is that I get the stuff everywhere. I've tried regular and gel and I suck equally at both. I end up with huge globs of superglue around tiny frags. Think I need to change the type of dispenser I use to one that doesn't suck water back up when I stop squeezing. This way I can just glue in the water. I was moderately better doing it that way.

Spent the most yet on the corals I picked up yesterday. $100. Small fry to most in this hobby I know but I've been hesitant to lay out "real" money on corals for the most part. I got what are supposed to be Armor of God, Captain America's, Pink and Golds, and Pink Zippers. Whether they're the real deal or not they are gorgeous zoa's/paly's that add some significant color to my tank. I'll probably add one more zoa pack from a local reefer in a few months before I proclaim my zoa/paly garden officially planted.

The biggest surprise yesterday? My wife and I allot ourselves a monthly allowance that we can spend guilt free and without letting the spouse know. We're very tight with our money so this was a big change for us that we started last march or so. I mean, REALLY tight. Obviously I've been blowing mine on the tank. After we picked up the zoa/paly frags she asked what it all cost I told her that I'd spent a little more than what I had in allowance $. She said, "Don't worry, I'll cover the rest." Yes! She actually likes the tank!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my wife came around on the tank after we added the duncan that she picked out. in the last few weeks it has gone from "you spent what?" to "oh, we need that for the tank!" i have already warned my wife about buying tangs as a gift, just in case.

Ok, time to update pics I guess. I've added a few things and moved a bunch around.

FTS

imgp7765.jpg

Tailspot in is home

imgp7763.jpg

Yellow Watchman Goby

imgp7759.jpg

Cleaner shrimp

imgp7757o.jpg

Random zoas and Nuclear Green Paly's. Zoas look completely different under the blues.

imgp7754.jpg

Blasto's

imgp7752.jpg

Mint Green Paly's

imgp7751.jpg

Pink and Gold's? Cpt America's to the left.

imgp7750.jpg

Green Bird's Nest

imgp7748i.jpg

Pink Zippers?

imgp7747.jpg

Mint Green, Armor of God, and Black and Red with speckles L to R

imgp7746.jpg

Acan's

imgp7744.jpg

Frogspawn, Green Hammer, and Purple Hammer

imgp7743.jpg

Looking good! I really like the green palys and the euphys! If it makes you feel any better, I had to use half a contained of superglue gel when transferring my new birdsnest from plug to live rock. It just wouldn't stick! I have had better luck on occasions, too!

Looks great. Could you get a picture from the side of the hammers and frogspawn? I'd like to see your spacing.

Yeah, might be an iPhone pic though. I've put them close together.

Thanks all for the comments!

...After we picked up the zoa/paly frags she asked what it all cost I told her that I'd spent a little more than what I had in allowance $. She said, "Don't worry, I'll cover the rest." Yes! She actually likes the tank!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Woo hoo! Although I am the wife in my duo, my husband has a number of DIY projects going on that can get a bit pricey, but the whole family gets to enjoy the results. I would much much rather have my partner have a hobby that takes place at home.

Great pics RedStang!

Keep meaning to ask you about your name...(Ford Mustang owner/fan?)

Had a 2005 Mustang GT, red of course, that I just sold this past September. Bittersweet as I loved the car but couldn't justify keeping it. Had it almost 7 years though.

Woo hoo! Although I am the wife in my duo, my husband has a number of DIY projects going on that can get a bit pricey, but the whole family gets to enjoy the results. I would much much rather have my partner have a hobby that takes place at home.

Same here and my wife uses the same reasoning!

Yellow watchman goby is turning yellow again :unsure: . She's also shedding her shy behavior. She's quite the poser now. She's warmed up to me to the point where I can actually pet her. Maybe it's because she sees the shrimp climbing all over my arm whenever it's in the tank?????

In any case, I love it that she's out and about now!

that is awesome. my pair is still mostly in hiding. i did see my post molt shrimp the other night and the goby keeps watch at the hole. that is about as good as it gets right now.

Added an emerald crab! Little bugger is pretty cool. I've read mixed reviews on how safe they are with fish. Usually it seems they're only dangerous in groups. In any case, he's already climbing all over the tank cleaning off any nuisance algae. If he eats one it's gonna be the wrasse though. The six-line took a couple swipes at him before deciding he wasn't edible.

Was working from home yesterday and glanced over just in time to see my rock with my red monti topling down from the top of the tank. Landed on my purple hammer. Grabbed the rock and sure enough, the emerald grab was holding on to the monti for dear life! No harm done.

BIG NEWS! I'll be picking up a 135 gallon oceanic tank this afternoon pending inspection. LONG ways from setting it up as it's just a tank and stand. The hope is that through graduation $, birthday, father's day, anniversary, you get the idea, I can raise enough to set it up around this time next year. Biocube will most like be kept and turned into a QT. My daughter is begging for seahorses though so who knows.

BIG NEWS! I'll be picking up a 135 gallon oceanic tank this afternoon pending inspection. LONG ways from setting it up as it's just a tank and stand. The hope is that through graduation $, birthday, father's day, anniversary, you get the idea, I can raise enough to set it up around this time next year. Biocube will most like be kept and turned into a QT. My daughter is begging for seahorses though so who knows.

Whoa! Congrats....hope it passes inspection. Moving up to the big time! Is that a 6 foot tank...or custom dimensions?

If they had a smiley for "jealous", I'd insert it here... omgomgomg

-Gravy

Whoa! Congrats....hope it passes inspection. Moving up to the big time! Is that a 6 foot tank...or custom dimensions?

If they had a smiley for "jealous", I'd insert it here... omgomgomg

-Gravy

Thanks! It's a 6 footer. Used. Guys says it has 3/4" glass so if true it'll be a beast. Only concern is that it only has one hole drilled in each overflow but it's not a deal breaker. As long as it's clear of major scratches it's mine!

Added an emerald crab! Little bugger is pretty cool. I've read mixed reviews on how safe they are with fish. Usually it seems they're only dangerous in groups. In any case, he's already climbing all over the tank cleaning off any nuisance algae. If he eats one it's gonna be the wrasse though. The six-line took a couple swipes at him before deciding he wasn't edible.

Was working from home yesterday and glanced over just in time to see my rock with my red monti topling down from the top of the tank. Landed on my purple hammer. Grabbed the rock and sure enough, the emerald grab was holding on to the monti for dear life! No harm done.

You will love it.

You will love it.

Got it home! I'll need to sand and re-stain the stand but the tank looks to be in excellent condition. I've got a ton of saving to do. Promised the wife a bunch of house projects first as well. Those need to be done anyway and if it gets her behind the tank...

Thing is huge. Bigger than I was expecting and I'll think I'll like the greater depth over a 6ft 125. Oh well, that build thread is a probably a year off for now so back to my regularly scheduled biocube programming.

The emerald crab is cool but I'm unsure about it being a keeper. It does well at picking stuff, I hope algae, off the rocks but I think it would've killed a nassarius if I hadn't intervened. It also knocked my rock with the red monti off, twice. To be fair the nassarius crawled under the blasted crab and practically begged to be eaten. The crab took a pick at it and then left it alone for a bit. I'm not sure if it would have taken advantage of the easy meal or not.

Armor of God frag has already grown two more heads :happydance: and those are my favorite zoa's so far. Otherwise everything else is looking great!

Caught the emerald pouncing on a nassarius again last night. And this time he ran over to it and attacked it. Almost certainly going to pull it.

Caught the emerald pouncing on a nassarius again last night. And this time he ran over to it and attacked it. Almost certainly going to pull it.

Yikes. I was planning on one in my tank. Might have to reconsider.

I'm anxious to follow your build thread on the big tank! I'm betting you get it started in less than a year...it's just sitting there...empty...and sad...waiting for you... :lol:

-Gravy

Yikes. I was planning on one in my tank. Might have to reconsider.

I'm anxious to follow your build thread on the big tank! I'm betting you get it started in less than a year...it's just sitting there...empty...and sad...waiting for you... :lol:

-Gravy

Yeah. We'll see. I just broke the news to my wife that it was going to take at least $2000 to get it up and running. Thing is I think she secretly wants it too. We have an allowance system for when we want to make impulse buys and she's already talking about using some of hers for fish. She got rather excited when I mentioned getting a school of 7-10 anthias. My guess is water in the tank after some black friday sales this year. My dad's checking to see if the people he gave his 125gal tank to are using it and if not I may get that for my sump. 260gal total volume! Though the sump would be run at 75-100gal most likely. Otherwise I'll probably wait for a petco sale and pick up a couple 40gal and just drill one and have it gravity feed the other.

As for the emerald. Yeah, stay away. I'm disappointed as it does a GREAT job at eating nuisance algae. Maybe I'll just throw it in the back and drop it a some pellets each day and then bring it out if algae becomes an issue. More likely I'll get an adequate CUC. 6 snails and 5 hermits aren't cutting it.

Thrassian Atoll

My emerald was great. Took care of my little bit of bubble algae. Left everything alone. Then one day, she was dead. Random. Thought it was just a shed. Nope.

Good luck on the new tank man. Hope to see it running one day.

Archived