ReefCleaners.org

How bad are maroon clownfish?

LarryMoeCurly

I've had one for 6 years now. Survived multiple epochs of death. Very hardy fish. It is a bit rambunctious (likes to stir things up on the sand bed) but never really killed any of my fish or coral. I had one with a bunch of other fish. Mainly it exhibited territorial behavior, not outright aggression. It likes to host in my Duncan colony. Currently it is with a Watchman Goby in a 30 gal. It'll do fine with gobies or blennies. I had it with a possum wrasse and never messed with it. Great little fish. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
Singsally67

I started a saltwater 55G tank with a soap fish and maroon clown 3 years ago.  They were the best of buddies.  The maroon took to a big conch shell and sometimes they would share it happily together.  A year later I added 5 green chromis and they are pretty aggressive so they held their own.  They actually took each other out so now I only have 2 and they are fine.  Later I added a foxface and all was well for awhile until I noticed it stopped swimming in open water areas like they normally do.  The reason was the maroon was bullying it.  The maroon wouldn’t just do it when it came near it’s favorite place in the tank. It would literally swim across the tank to chase and nip at it.  I felt so bad for the peaceful foxface that I removed the clown and placed him in his own tank as a time out.  6 months later, he is still in time out and the foxface happily swims around but it took over a month b4 it would do that.  I added a fairy wrasse and later a Red Sea clownfish and anemone.    I upgraded to a 75 gallon and all are very happy.  I’m considering reintroducing the maroon clown since the other smaller clown is hosted with an anenome but I’m worried that as it adjusts, it will once again become a bully and upset the peaceful tank mates.   I don’t really want to maintain 2 tanks so I could trade him in or give to a friend.  Still not sure, but if I knew ahead of time that maroon clowns are the most aggressive clownfish and can act like buttheads to other fish, I would have started with a different type.   It’s a cool fish but just make sure to pair it up with semi aggressive fish that can hold their own.