Coral Vue Hydros

rimless starphire 90g [36x36x16]

exigency

also another unfortunate note as i've mentioned above, i don't have a QT setup for a cupramine course of therapy. it looks like i will just have to cross my fingers and hope the remaining soldiers ride it out.

Unfortunately, if it is ich, it will stay in your system, and if it is velvet, you will have a 100% mortality rate if untreated, copper and formaldehyde are the only treatments for velvet. Even if they appear to have fought it off, they have not, and are still infected, only in the gills where you cannot see. Any fluctuation in temperature, salinity, or anything will cause them to stress out and the parasite will take over. I would highly suggest that you set up a small 30g tank or similar and treat what fish you have, and treat new incoming fish proactively. This is the only way to keep the parasite out of your system. Otherwise, imagine trying to net out all your fish from a tank full of coral. From experience (twice), it's not fun at all. :(

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Unfortunately, if it is ich, it will stay in your system, and if it is velvet, you will have a 100% mortality rate if untreated, copper and formaldehyde are the only treatments for velvet. Even if they appear to have fought it off, they have not, and are still infected, only in the gills where you cannot see. Any fluctuation in temperature, salinity, or anything will cause them to stress out and the parasite will take over. I would highly suggest that you set up a small 30g tank or similar and treat what fish you have, and treat new incoming fish proactively. This is the only way to keep the parasite out of your system. Otherwise, imagine trying to net out all your fish from a tank full of coral. From experience (twice), it's not fun at all. :(

for what it’s worth at this time, i believe it’s too late to try and save the kole tang and regal angel. however, i will wait two months or so before adding any fish back in to turnover the water a few times and that’ll give me time to see if i can find the room to set up a QT for future additions. all my inverts do not seem to have been affected, nor what little corals i have in the tank, but i’ll be keeping on an eye on those for sure.

Do you have a build thread in our local forum?

i am a member of dfwmas and dallasmas, but i do not have a current build thread on either forum. i used to have a build thread for my nano back in 2006ish, along with this board, but i mainly use dfw/dallas mas for the WTS/WTB threads.

boy, when it rains, it surely does pour. i just got back a bit ago from my girlfriend's celebration of her graduating from nursing school, good times! however, once i got home, there was a noise that pumps make when they're unable to prime coming from the back of my house, where the tank is located. lo and behold, i come to the back of the house half flooded with saltwater because one of the hoses feeding to my fuge decided to go straight troll and cut loose, but wait for the kicker, i then slip on the water and face-plant onto the tile, creating a huge and deep cut on the side of my eye. i got up in a dazed stupor as if mike tyson had just hit me with a haymaker and rushed to the restroom to be greeted by the lovely sight of half of my face covered in blood. i've since cleaned it up, tended to the wound, and put a gob of petroleum jelly on it until i can have someone take me to the ER, so don't worry about me.

by the way, since i've lost somewhere around 10-15 gallons of water as i've calculated from the water levels of my sump, my only choice is to replenish the water that was lost with the 20 gallons of fresh saltwater i prepared earlier for testing. so the water that might've played a role in negatively affecting my tank, now is the only choice is "saving" my tank, eff me right?! so i went ahead and pumped the new batch of saltwater in and checked temp and salinity prior and post to make sure those levels, at least, matched.

so now, it's the waiting game while i wait to see what happens tomorrow morning. i'll be having someone take me to get this cut sutured real soon and have already called into work, what a great day! and yes, i do know my priorities are way out-of-order, but i had to vent and this wait for a ride to the ER is killing me.

p.s. i placed the regal and kole into a "QT" bucket of saltwater when i got home from work. the regal has since passed by the time i got home when this incident occurred, but the kole tang is still kicking. all other inhabitants inside the display are, luckily, still alive and sleeping through this catastrophe.

Ouch! What a rotten way to start the weekend off.

You should put your girlfriends nursing skills to the test and get her to suture you up. :P But seriously, hope things get better for you!

I would go ahead and leave the Kole tang in the display, it is infected as well, so may as well give him some swimming room to make him feel more comfortable. All your fish (even those that don't appear affected) will need to be treated, if you leave any in the display, the parasite will stay and continue to wreak havoc.

Sorry to keep hearing about losses, and the flood! Sounds a lot like me about six months ago, I just couldn't catch a break! :(

Just keep your chin up and keep moving forward!

OUCH! Well at least things can only get better.

yeah, i hope so! will you be attending MACNA?

Ouch! What a rotten way to start the weekend off.

You should put your girlfriends nursing skills to the test and get her to suture you up. :P But seriously, hope things get better for you!

you can say that again! my girlfriend came over today with neosporin, rather than sutures. we've superglued the wound as i've done before with other deep cuts and it eventually just fixes itself, but gradually getting the superglue off once it heals is quite a pain.

I would go ahead and leave the Kole tang in the display, it is infected as well, so may as well give him some swimming room to make him feel more comfortable. All your fish (even those that don't appear affected) will need to be treated, if you leave any in the display, the parasite will stay and continue to wreak havoc.

Sorry to keep hearing about losses, and the flood! Sounds a lot like me about six months ago, I just couldn't catch a break! :(

Just keep your chin up and keep moving forward!

the kole tang passed on this morning. i'm just going to leave everything alone and minimize how much i interact with the tank. the two anthias and mccosker's are still eating like pigs, but as i've mentioned before, i'll be monitoring them.

the kole tang passed on this morning. i'm just going to leave everything alone and minimize how much i interact with the tank. the two anthias and mccosker's are still eating like pigs, but as i've mentioned before, i'll be monitoring them.

sorry to hear that man, I lost my first Kole tang the same way. :( Just keep in mind that even though they are eating, the remaining fish are still infected, and any new fish you introduced will be as well.

Wow, rough times!

Hope all goes well with the fish, parasites are no fun.

On a side note, do you have any information on how you did your light hanger? It looks pretty nice.

hypersnyper694788

love the build and the tank. hopefully you get that disease/parasite taken care of soon. cant wait to see what corals you choose to add.

• 1 month later...
Wow, rough times!

Hope all goes well with the fish, parasites are no fun.

On a side note, do you have any information on how you did your light hanger? It looks pretty nice.

the light hanger is actually connected to the stand. the two bars that come over the top of the tank are in an L shape, which connects to two slots that can be fastened. i'll take a picture when i get some free time to give you a visual.

love the build and the tank. hopefully you get that disease/parasite taken care of soon. cant wait to see what corals you choose to add.

i added my first bit of livestock two weeks ago, so it went quite a long time without adding anything except corals being added. the livestock added were two skunk cleaner shrimp, two blood shrimp, and an african midas blenny that have been doing quite well.

since macna, i've been slowly adding sps, zoa, and chalice mini-colonies/frags. as i aforementioned, i have to take a few pictures soon to show the progression of how my tank has begun to slowly mature. i'll also have to post what i exactly have when it comes to corals very soon.

as for what's to come, i'll probably be adding two 6105s to add flow from the back of the tank. i am choosing this particular model from a scalability standpoint, for whenever i upgrade to a larger tank. these powerheads are the last pieces of equipment i'm adding to my tank. i should also add that i now have a bubble magus doser and completely revamped my lighting.

I just wanted to say that I LOVE LOVE LOVE your sump design!!! I've always wanted a bigger tank and a peacock mantis tank plumbed together, but never really have a lot of room. Now I know exactly how to do this with a display fuge where the mantis will live. Thank you for the wonderful idea!

jedimasterben
I just wanted to say that I LOVE LOVE LOVE your sump design!!! I've always wanted a bigger tank and a peacock mantis tank plumbed together, but never really have a lot of room. Now I know exactly how to do this with a display fuge where the mantis will live. Thank you for the wonderful idea!

peacocks really cant be exposed to light, so a fuge really isnt possible.

i'm glad i could be a source of inspiration; good luck with your tank!

Archived