Pod Your Reef

rimless starphire 90g [36x36x16]

exigency

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds good. I would strongly recommend saving yourself the headache and replacing the whites and blues sooner rather than later. I installed my kit with cool white and my sps got all washed out and lost color. I replaced them to natural white two weeks ago and they are already way more colorful. Just my opinion though.

ugh, this is what i get for trying to post while working...i came home afterwards, took a nap, woke up, and just did a quick recap on what i posted earlier today. i just realized i'm quite the dunce :blush: . i actually have 24 neutral whites, 24 blues, and 4 royal blues; final answer! however, as observed, it seems as though even with this correction, my led composition is rather unpopular :( .

edit: going to upload a few pics later of the leds.

Yeah, your way overloaded with the Neutral White. I bet you have a very strong purple look to you overall color?

it's not that purple actually, the whites dominate, but mix pretty well with the blues. again, my tank isn't filled though, so it'll probably look much different with water.

here're the pics from my phone as promised: take note that the leds are around 30-40% dimmed.

f9snp.jpg

leds on top of the tank

9EZzX.jpg

leds all on

pdc1A.jpg

neutral whites

impZU.jpg

blues and royal blues

• 1 month later...

Very nice tank exigency!

The dimensions are killer! I'm a huge fan of shallow tanks (<16"). The scape and lighting looks fantastic IMO. Keep up the good work, looking forward to seeing this tank get wet! :D

Very nice tank exigency!

The dimensions are killer! I'm a huge fan of shallow tanks (<16"). The scape and lighting looks fantastic IMO. Keep up the good work, looking forward to seeing this tank get wet! :D

thanks, i really appreciate the comment! and by the way, sorry for the lack of updates to any subscribers! there's been a huge overhaul at my company on a patient management database system, of which i am the project lead, that's been taking up my time for the past month and a half. the tank got wet in late july and finished cycling late last month via fishless cycling with 10% ammonium hydroxide.

since then, i added my first fish, a kole tang, last friday to reward myself for overcoming a big hurdle on my project and then a pair of yellow coris wrasses on labor day. i've been meaning to snap some pictures, but have been really busy at the office for 12-14 hours each day, including weekends. this friday should mark the completion of one big step of my project, of which i plan to reward myself again with a mccosker's wrasse and maybe some bartlett's anthias.

i also went with many user suggestions and after a personal review of my lighting to switch all the cool blues to royal blue, except for the 2 located in the middle of each fixture. so that came out to be 24 neutral whites, 24 royal blues, and 4 cool blues. everything is also controlled by an apex/wxm and i can post any of my configurations if anybody needs them.

finally, for those that are probably wondering, here are my parameters as of sunday evening: 0ppm nh3 (salifert), 0ppm no2 (salifert), ~2-5ppm no3 (salifert), 1450ppm mg (salifert), 501ppm ca (hanna), 10.3 dkh (hanna), 0.05 po4 (hanna), 8.13 ph (apex), and 76.8-77.5 f (apex).

i think that covers everything?

jedimasterben

I would toss the result given by the Hanna calcium checker, they're, unfortunately, no good, even when used with ultra-precise measurements.

Cant wait to see some update pics!

as requested, before i hop into bed! i also forgot to mention earlier that i have a clean-up-crew from reefcleaners that consists of dwarf/florida ceriths, hermits, nassarius, etc...

5sgso.jpg

FTS

6dylN.jpg

can't forget about the sump!

more to come this weekend, hopefully!

a couple updates! i got two fish this past weekend and splurged a bit on one of them: a red sea regal angel and mccosker's wrasse. both are doing very well and eating gobs of food thrice daily; in particular, the regal ate brine and mysis right off the bat, along with clam/mussels on a half shell, and grazes on dragon's breath/nori. i'm lining up bartlett's for the next addition, but that'll probably be late this week or early next week. on the other hand, i haven't seen one of the yellow coris since i've added it, but one is always out in the afternoon for a few hours to eat, and i haven't seen any nassaurius or hermits corralling around that would've indicated a death; i'm crossing my fingers!

here're some pics for your enjoyment:

xO7Mt.jpg

hello!

fchSC.jpg

buddies :D

qwVvK.jpg

being a little shy

TEqDT.jpg

mccosker's is loving the mp40s on reefcrest at 100%

the bad news bears gave me a visit this morning and beat me down :(

i switched from seachem’s reef salt to instant ocean’s reef crystals this past sunday and performed a 10% water change to ease in the switch, but the process still caused some stress to the fish and spurred the start of what seems like a brookynella/ich/velvet outbreak. as a precautionary measure prior the water change however, i did check salinity, pH/alk, temp, and tested to make sure nh3/no2/no3 were undetectable after a 48 hour mixing period and got the aforementioned in range with my parameters to preempt a swing in some of those parameters. unfortunately, it seems as though that was not enough of a precautionary measure.

i performed another 10% water change yesterday evening to help with clearing out the parasites, but instead, i woke up this morning to a dead bartlett’s anthias (one of three i added last thursday) and yellow coris. that’s not where it stops either, the regal angel is in terrible condition after this second water change and it’s unlikely it’ll survive the day. the remaining inhabitants: kole tang, two bartlett’s anthias, mccosker’s wrasse aren’t as bad, but do look worse. the outcome looks bleak for the remaining fish and i definitely won’t be adding any fish for quite a while.

i’m going to make another batch of saltwater tonight for testing purposes and will test the heck out of it thoroughly for all parameters to see if maybe there was something in the water i grossly misread, missed, or another factor on my behalf that caused extreme stress. by no means am i placing all the blame on reef crystals for the tragic chain of events, but i’m thinking it may have had a role in such.

i’ll upload a video tonight of how awesome things were prior to the water change :(

damn! Sorry to hear that. :o

I try to never switch salt brands once I get a system going. I choose what I want to run in that system and that's that. The only time I change is when that salt brand goes out of production and I have no choice but to change.

I'm curious, what was your reason for switching?

Really hoping your other inhabitants can pull through and make it.

Sorry to here about your losses. Do you have a qt that you can get most of your fish stay in? I hope all will goes well. Good luck and keep us posted

Water changes won't get rid of the parasite. If you are unsure what you are treating (it is ich since you have a tang), remove all fish and treat with Cupramine for at least 14 days. Unfortunately you don't have any time to waste. :(

damn! Sorry to hear that. :o

I try to never switch salt brands once I get a system going. I choose what I want to run in that system and that's that. The only time I change is when that salt brand goes out of production and I have no choice but to change.

I'm curious, what was your reason for switching?

Really hoping your other inhabitants can pull through and make it.

i was finding that after going through 2 buckets of seachem's reefsalt that the calcium and mag would be really high (600+ ppm) and alk was a tad low for my taste (7-8, which caused pretty low pH), so i was hoping for something a little more balanced, plus reef crystals is a hell of a lot cheaper. i'm pretty scared to do another water change at this point, so i'll be doing the full battery of tests before doing so.

i just stopped home for lunch and noticed that the tang and angel are swimming around in the back of the tank, but are seriously stressed out. the remaining anthias and mccosker's are swimming up-front in the mp40 current like there's no tomorrow and actually look fairer in their condition compared to this morning.

i really regret changing such a big factor so early in the game, but what's done is done. i'll be leaving the tank alone from adding fish for quite a while until i feel comfortable with the salt switch, probably a month or two. i'll be attending MACNA next weekend and this event thwarts any glimpse of adding new fish.

i'll provide another update tonight of how the fish are doing, along with the video i promised earlier.

Sorry to here about your losses. Do you have a qt that you can get most of your fish stay in? I hope all will goes well. Good luck and keep us posted

unfortunately, i never had a QT setup because i simply don't have the room for one. i know, stupid me.

NOOOOOOO!!!!!! i just read the whole thread and was so pumped to see some new pictures soon!!!!!

that really sucks man! I hope your fish make it!!

i hope so too. sorry to raise your hopes only to see them crushed, i definitely know how it feels.

Water changes won't get rid of the parasite. If you are unsure what you are treating (it is ich since you have a tang), remove all fish and treat with Cupramine for at least 14 days. Unfortunately you don't have any time to waste. :(

also another unfortunate note as i've mentioned above, i don't have a QT setup for a cupramine course of therapy. it looks like i will just have to cross my fingers and hope the remaining soldiers ride it out.

Archived