inTank Media Baskets

rimless starphire 90g [36x36x16]

exigency

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks great so far - love the dimensions. I'm going to be watching this build.

Really cool build! I'll be following

thanks y'all! i'll be getting a few more things set up, here and there, then i'll upload some more pictures tonight.

great looking tank man. You've got some sweet dimensions to work with. Im itching to see how this tank progresses.

great looking tank man. You've got some sweet dimensions to work with. Im itching to see how this tank progresses.

thanks, i really appreciate the kind words! here're some pictures of the finalized scape while i'm at it. i'd appreciate any constructive criticism on my scape; i am, honestly, just throwing rocks together.

lWAeS.jpg

PM4t8.jpg

jedimasterben

did you get your money back on the whole RapidLED fiasco? In shipping, all responsibility lies on the shipper, which was RapidLED. If you didn't get what you ordered because they didn't insure their package, all fault is on them and they must refund you. If they do not, a chargeback on the credit card the order was placed with will get you your money back. They would have no leg to stand on. It was a long time ago, but maybe if nothing ever happened with it, your CC company will work with you.

Anyway, build is looking great so far. I'm just kinda worried about using 3/8" thick glass for the sides... at 16" tall and 36" wide, should definitely use 1/2" glass. My 2 cents.

Looking forward to seeing this build come together. Thats a great looking tank!!

Also IMO im with Ben 1/2 inch glass sounds neccessary for the sides, thats just my opinion though.

Thats one big a$$ cube... love the dimensions cant wait to see water.

thanks, i can't wait either D:

Glad to see your project is coming together! Looking forward to updates and pics.

thanks! i'll be sure to get some more pics up soon once some more developments occur.

did you get your money back on the whole RapidLED fiasco? In shipping, all responsibility lies on the shipper, which was RapidLED. If you didn't get what you ordered because they didn't insure their package, all fault is on them and they must refund you. If they do not, a chargeback on the credit card the order was placed with will get you your money back. They would have no leg to stand on. It was a long time ago, but maybe if nothing ever happened with it, your CC company will work with you.

Anyway, build is looking great so far. I'm just kinda worried about using 3/8" thick glass for the sides... at 16" tall and 36" wide, should definitely use 1/2" glass. My 2 cents.

i actually ended up paying for another package, but that situation never got resolved by RapidLed nor the shipper. I should pursue some type of action against RapidLed, but I honestly lost all interest in such efforts a long time ago. however, from here-on-out, i'll be sure to keep that in mind, since all my CC's have insurance on online purchases.

as for the 3/8" sides, the person that built my tank assured me that it should be okay *knock on wood*. he was doing all these calculations are the time of planning the tank and stated 3/8" sides and 1/2" bottom would work, but of course, bow after a while (that's a given with nearly any tank, without a brace, though).

Looking forward to seeing this build come together. Thats a great looking tank!!

Also IMO im with Ben 1/2 inch glass sounds neccessary for the sides, thats just my opinion though.

thanks! i am hoping that y'alls comments aren't ominous :[

jedimasterben

3/8" would be fine with a brace, but being rimless, a ####load of pressure is going to be put on the silicone seams as the tank is filled and the glass begins to bow. I just got my 48"x24"x16" system, and it uses 1/2" glass. If yours were 12" tall, I could see 3/8" working, but not at 16" height.

3/8" would be fine with a brace, but being rimless, a ####load of pressure is going to be put on the silicone seams as the tank is filled and the glass begins to bow. I just got my 48"x24"x16" system, and it uses 1/2" glass. If yours were 12" tall, I could see 3/8" working, but not at 16" height.

well, we'll see what happens D: i did some calculations and, then, found a java app that calculated my safety factors for the sides and bottom; it came out to be 7.66 and 10.18, respectively. in theory, not sure if it makes a difference, only 15" max of water could be in the tank at a time (because the overflow teeth are 1" below the top of the tank), which may help my case. i'm thinking with safety factors as high as mine are, i should be safe *crosses fingers*.

jedimasterben
well, we'll see what happens D: i did some calculations and, then, found a java app that calculated my safety factors for the sides and bottom; it came out to be 7.66 and 10.18, respectively. in theory, not sure if it makes a difference, only 15" max of water could be in the tank at a time (because the overflow teeth are 1" below the top of the tank), which may help my case. i'm thinking with safety factors as high as mine are, i should be safe *crosses fingers*.

What calculators are you using?

What calculators are you using?

i don't know if we're allowed to link outside this forum, but i did a search within n-r and found someone that posted the java app for aquacalc. check it out.

But does that work for rimless/braceless tanks?

not sure how credible this person may be, but here. however, i prefer the aquacalc i previously linked.

Scape looks great! I don't think I couldn't have done better myself. It reminds me of the lava rock that ADA style freshwater tanks utilize. Two thumbs up!

Scape looks great! I don't think I couldn't have done better myself. It reminds me of the lava rock that ADA style freshwater tanks utilize. Two thumbs up!

thanks! i am trying to make the scape full of nooks, crannies, and caves that're still viewable from all sides of the tank. i also tried to tune into my inner-amano to scape as well as possible :P .

when it rains, it pours! recently, one of the high-pressure water lines to one toilet in the house decided to bust and flooded my house when i was at work. needless to say, i came home to something that was out of a scene from waterworld, starring me instead of kevin costner. thank goodness that the area where my tank is, was untouched by the flood, neither was my computer! without further ado, i present to you some pictures!

B1ZaF.jpg

if the busted waterline was personified, i bet this would be it.

ZMDr8.jpg

dehumidifiers and fans are everywhere in my house..

kKoaB.jpg

my room is even more of a mess than it was before.

XRN2C.jpg

some progress with the tank, hung up the leds and installed the loc-lines

Di2Os.jpg

unfinished durso standpipe for my drain

moar pics before the tank gets wet!

xg7hd.jpg

plumbing

35A75.jpg

left side

UwZEF.jpg

front

FJFfT.jpg

right side

BckZ9.jpg

top down

WOK0D.jpg

scape, finalized, for real this time.

• 2 weeks later...

just a quick update for those following; i haven't filled up the tank yet because i'm just waiting on a few more pieces of equipment i've recently ordered. in particular, i'm waiting on 2 eheim jager 300w heaters, 2 maxijet 1200s, and an apex controller with a number of accessories (sold my aquacontroller 3).

Archived