Pod Your Reef

15G tall nano Reef (My little piece of the Ocean)

naturalwonders

naturalwonders

Oh thanks :P . And Hi...person with the same...last name :D .

Hey your tank is beautiful :) and we have the same last name haha. Just wanted to say hi!

Thanks for the kind words.

I will try to update more pics of the tank this weekend. Man, every time the pair of clownfish start spawning they get so aggressive .

Congrats on TOTM!

I really like the mushroom garden and IMO your fish selection fits this tank well (considering the soft corals and their nutrient needs).

Makes me want to start a mushroom rock now...

Finally, I read your TOTM profile and I really like your reefing philosophy regarding not getting into that "collector" mentality all the time so that you can sit back and watch your corals flourish and grow into amazing colonies. That's my goal for my new tank, to grow several colonies that are truly centerpiece worthy.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope you don't mind a follow up on the bottle skimmer. I'm pretty dense and still don't quite understand what/how you did that. Would you mind explaining it in more detail. My "figure things out" IQ is about 70 :D

naturalwonders
Hope you don't mind a follow up on the bottle skimmer. I'm pretty dense and still don't quite understand what/how you did that. Would you mind explaining it in more detail. My "figure things out" IQ is about 70 :D

Hahahaha, my bad, I thought I posted a pic of the "DIY" unit.

Here it is, a bit ugly but works real well for me. I don't need to use extra equipment or anything, this will skim the surface and add more flow to the tank at the same time, just have to rinse or change the piece of floss inside whenever it's dirty.

IMG_3661-2.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
naturalwonders

Ah, looked like I didn't keep my promise :mellow: .

Well, I did take some quick shots of the tank tonight before heading to work. Things are a bit over grown now, need to trim soon.

FTS:

IMG_4293-2.jpg

IMG_4256-2.jpg

The clowns have been laying eggs frequently inside the frogspawn. They get aggressive.

IMG_4286-2.jpg

IMG_4299-2.jpg

IMG_4295-2.jpg

IMG_4268-2.jpg

naturalwonders

Finally decided and was able to get this crab out of my tank. He's been in the tank for quite some time but hasn't touched any corals or fish. However, he now starts to dig too much everywhere in the sand bed, so, he is out. Found him a permanent home in my friend's refugium :D .

post-49369-1313458753_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
naturalwonders

One of my cleaner shrimps has been missing for almost a week now. So heart breaking, I can't even find the body or the cause :huh: . They've been with me for so long.

• 3 weeks later...

I really like the tank, I have been trying to find pics of a mushroom dominate tank to see what it would look like and im impressed. I've been thinking about starting one myself for awhile now. If mine turns out 1/10 as nice as yours I'll be happy. Have there been any problems with the mushrooms along the way as far as melting,pest or other things?

naturalwonders

I haven't experienced any problem with the mushrooms in this tank. There was a couple of incidents that the frogspawn and the Palau Nepthea melted in the tank but that was when the temperature was so high one summer 2 years back.

I really like the tank, I have been trying to find pics of a mushroom dominate tank to see what it would look like and im impressed. I've been thinking about starting one myself for awhile now. If mine turns out 1/10 as nice as yours I'll be happy. Have there been any problems with the mushrooms along the way as far as melting,pest or other things?

I have to say...I've never seen a mushroom carpet on a nano before. It looks so comfy you want to bounce off of each one--really great growth on this tank, love it.

• 4 months later...
naturalwonders

Did some water changes tonight and took some pics :D. Hope you guys like it.

The anemone is getting wayyy too big for this tank :scarry: . I may need to take it out. But at the moment, the clown fish seem to enjoy it :happydance: .

IMG_6379-2.jpg

IMG_6395-2.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
naturalwonders

Just a little update of my tank.

The anemone has been staying in the tank. Around 2 weeks ago, on August 26th 2012, after a major water change, the anemone split again.

This is when it was splitting:

IMG_0717-2.jpg

IMG_0718-2.jpg

IMG_0724-2.jpg

And this is how they are now, as of last weekend, all open up and taking the entire bottom part of the tank. The clownfish are really enjoying the extra estates that they got ahhaahahaha.

IMG_1040-2.jpg

naturalwonders

Oh thanks.

This is not rimless. The tank is a 15G tall with black rims, same footprint as the regular 10G but just taller. And yes, I do have lids on most part of the tank to prevent those firefish from jumping out :D .

Very nice little tank. Is it rimless? I ask because you have a pair of firefish (which i love too) and heard there jumpers.
Deleted User 3

You have 2 clown fish and 2 fire fish in a 15 gallon tank? How do you manage? I was told 2 clownfish in a 10g was really pushin it.. and you have a damsel too it looks like? wow.. and the tank is so old! What are your secrets?!? It looks so beautiful and everything looks happy!

naturalwonders
What a shot!!!!!!! :wub:

Do you have a new FTS? Still have all those mushrooms???? It's nice to see an update on one of my all-time favorite tanks :happy:

Hahaha, thanks Gena.

Yea, the mushrooms are still there. However, the left side where the anemones are has a bit less mushrooms around it since the anemone killed some of them. The right side is still full of them.

I will take the FTS this weekend :D.

You have 2 clown fish and 2 fire fish in a 15 gallon tank? How do you manage? I was told 2 clownfish in a 10g was really pushin it.. and you have a damsel too it looks like? wow.. and the tank is so old! What are your secrets?!? It looks so beautiful and everything looks happy!

Secrets? hahaha, no secrets, just a good schedule of water change and not to overfeed. I have a good clean up crew in there as well.

Oh, that is not a damsel, it's a royal gramma. He gets along with other fish real well.

Hahaha, thanks Gena.

Yea, the mushrooms are still there. However, the left side where the anemones are has a bit less mushrooms around it since the anemone killed some of them. The right side is still full of them.

I will take the FTS this weekend :D.

Cool!!!!! Can't wait to see it!!!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived